Approach Ban Poll

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, I WAS Birddog

Do you believe the approach ban should be banned?

Yes
81
80%
No
20
20%
 
Total votes: 101

Stearman
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:21 am
Location: Darkside of the Moon

Approach Ban Poll

Post by Stearman »

Well I don't believe this has been done yet. We have been dealing with it for sometime now what does every one think about it?
---------- ADS -----------
 
- NoseDraggers Suck
User avatar
Flying Low
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 927
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Northern Ontario...why change now?

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by Flying Low »

Yep...it shouldn't even exist.

There is nothing unsafe about conducting an approach in 0/0 conditions (may not be the best use of resources, but not unsafe).
---------- ADS -----------
 
"The ability to ditch an airplane in the Hudson does not qualify a pilot for a pay raise. The ability to get the pilots, with this ability, to work for 30% or 40% pay cuts qualifies those in management for millions in bonuses."
yfly
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 285
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:28 am

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by yfly »

Flying Low wrote:
There is nothing unsafe about conducting an approach in 0/0 conditions (may not be the best use of resources, but not unsafe).
I agree. The problem is, it can be unsafe to attempt a landing without adequate visual reference. There have been numerous accidents related to that, which is what an approach ban is designed to prevent. It isn't perfect but some people require guidlines and let's face it, the system is dummed down to the lowest common denominator.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:49 am
Location: Always moving

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

the system is dummed down to the lowest common denominator.
The frightening thing about this situation is wondering how the system accepts people that are this dumb and lets them fly the unsuspecting public around in airplanes.

It really says a lot about how low the requirements are to get a license to fly public transport airplanes.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5335
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:02 pm
Location: Group W bench

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by Shiny Side Up »

The frightening thing about this situation is wondering how the system accepts people that are this dumb and lets them fly the unsuspecting public around in airplanes.

It really says a lot about how low the requirements are to get a license to fly public transport airplanes.
When you compare it to the rest of the things we let "dumb" people do, its really not suprising. It may however be more frightening if you want to think about it - though if you do you may not sleep at night or leave your house. After all it takes far less qualifications to:

* Drive our children in a school bus
* Transport dangerous goods in a vehicle
* Make sure all the oil, gas and electricity gets to where its supposed to go
* Run this country

And a lot of other jobs, that if not done safely or correctly can end in a big disaster but we trust are going to be done safely or correctly on a day to day basis.

The rules are there because, to boil it right down, people are generally "dumb" as you put it and need guidelines and rules to keep themselves out of trouble. Though since those people are probably in the majority, rather than consider them all "dumb", you might just want to consider yourself "smart". :wink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3074
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:49 am
Location: Always moving

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

I take it you are satisfied that the ATPL in Canada is already at a high enough standard that it does not need to be improved Shiney Side Up?

The regulatory bodies in the last few countries I flew in don't seem to be all that impressed with a Canadian ATPL.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
User avatar
FlowPack
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:06 pm

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by FlowPack »

Approach bans are a reincarnation of "caution -contents hot" on your coffee cup.
To all the stupid people in the world - thank you.
Now when the auto stations report 0/0 because the plow is idling too close to the sensor, well...

Can the ban.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here
Stearman
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:21 am
Location: Darkside of the Moon

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by Stearman »

I would just be happy if they just reversed it back to the old way of doing things.
---------- ADS -----------
 
- NoseDraggers Suck
ettw
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 817
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: CYFB or CNS4

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by ettw »

It there and its not gonna get repealed.

I have always told new pilots that no one has ever been killed doing a properly temperature corrected approach followed by the missed approach. NO ONE!!

But there are some idiots out there so i guess this protects them from themselves. I guess.....

Cheers,

ETTW
---------- ADS -----------
 
1. The company pays me to make money for it.
2. If the company doesn't make money neither do I
3. I still hate simulators
User avatar
flying4dollars
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 919
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:56 am

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by flying4dollars »

I'd say can the ban. Let the crew decide whether they will conduct the approach given the current scenario, situation, wx etc. That's what they're supposedly trained for and it's all part of the PDM process...right?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8092
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by Rockie »

Let's be honest here, people have been dumb for several thousand years and the people flying airplanes now are no dumber than they were 90 years ago. But we're killing fewer of them in part because of regulations which change the way people operate airplanes. The approach ban may be an affront to you the aviation god, but regulations are made for the industry as a whole. Learn to live with it because it's not likely to go away.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Stearman
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:21 am
Location: Darkside of the Moon

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by Stearman »

ETTW - you say "that no one has been killed."

I don't know that it really has made a difference in safety. I am sure there has been approach to landing accidents since it has been implemented...that and how is it safer when you are conducting approaches in the far North, where it doesn't apply?
---------- ADS -----------
 
- NoseDraggers Suck
User avatar
FlowPack
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:06 pm

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by FlowPack »

Rockie wrote: The approach ban may be an affront to you the aviation god, but regulations are made for the industry as a whole.
"minimums, no contact - go around".

If the ability to initiate that statement at the appropriate time and place make me a god rockie, you may be the first to bow down.
Personally, I thought the prerequisites were considerably higher.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here
User avatar
Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 934
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:37 am
Location: Northern Can

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by Bushav8er »

This is a rule on top of a rule.

At X distance you should be able to see the runway but DON'T go any lower than this altitude, go missed here. Why we can't even try the approach if the vis - a non-restrictive item - is below some arbitrary number is just dumb, especially when you can, for the 1 1/4 vis., ban at 1 mile, still request the 'contact'. :roll:

The whole point of the approach is to land using long established and proven procedures - rules - follow them and live, don't and you get what you deserve...but please don't make a rule to stop others from even trying!

To those that agree with this rule ...please exit now, leave the licence on the table and thanks for playing.
---------- ADS -----------
 
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8105
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by iflyforpie »

It's funny how after the FAF everything is different. Like somehow 0/0 FZFG is okay for a missed if you got the report after the FAF but it is dangerous for a missed if you got the report before the FAF. :rolleyes:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2174
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:34 am
Location: Canada

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by Donald »

Bushav8er wrote:The whole point of the approach is to land using long established and proven procedures - rules - follow them and live, don't and you get what you deserve...but please don't make a rule to stop others from even trying!
Ok, first off let me say that I agree and we should not have an approach ban rule.

However, imagine you are the regulator. You have an MD-83 off the side of runway 34 in YYC after an approach with an RVR of 1400, a B737 off the side of runway 12 in YEG after an approach with an RVR of 1200, an RJ in the woods in YFC after an approach with an RVR of 1200, as well as other incidents. What do you do ignore them? Or come up with some sort of rule, or training to prevent this? Limiting the ability of the crews to shoot approaches in min visiblity is certainly one way to prevent it from happening again. Also, there is some sort of standard set by ICAO that Canada was not in line with. As the regulator what would you do (knowing the public has an expectation not to end up in the woods, or off the side, or doing a missed approach after going off the side)?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1461
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:40 am
Location: YXL
Contact:

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by Liquid Charlie »

First I will say that the approach ban they implemented here is ridiculous -- true Canadiana - it's so simple - adopt the ICAO standard and be done with it.

Now reading here there is a group who say remove approach bans altogether -- so is that a desire to return to the "gunslinger days" of 30 years ago -- there are a few of us here who experienced that first hand -- NDB approaches to 200 feet and less - zero zero take offs -- ils approaches to 600 rvr single pilot and flying 2 hours on time and heading on a back bearing and letting down to 200 feet with a map in your hand -- with an extrapolated altimeter setting) -- is that what you are looking for --

I have no problems with approach bans -- puts everyone on a level playing field and there is no argument that it is far safer - just think back -- well maybe you can't but when they passed the seat belt law -- the out cry was enormous but we all know that they do save lives -- so what's the beef with an approach ban -- it's just how we stupid f'ing canuks out thought ourselves -- AGAIN!!! and created absolute bullshit -- I love the KISS principal -- rewrite the approach ban to ICAO standards and for christ's sake spend more money on runways - all those fancy terminal buildings and little runway upgrades. As far as I'm concerned -- any runway with an ILS should be at least CAT 2
---------- ADS -----------
 
Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 745
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 12:18 am
Location: CYZF

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by swordfish »

Donald says:
You have an MD-83 off the side of runway 34 in YYC after an approach with an RVR of 1400, a B737 off the side of runway 12 in YEG after an approach with an RVR of 1200, an RJ in the woods in YFC after an approach with an RVR of 1200, as well as other incidents.
All pilot/crew error, or letting their egos get in the way of rational and disciplined flying, or simply a breakdown in CRM: "Runway 11 o'clock - I have control" or if you do PMA's: "Visual, landing; I have control"

You can't legislate for a lack of common sense, massive egos, or over-confidence. I don't know what the vis was when the Air France 340 overran the runway at YYZ, but there again is a classic example of a Captain who wanted to save face by saving the landing.

The real idiocy/irony of the ban is that fact that we can ignore it north of 60 (except at airports where there is an RVR), and continue into poor conditions with less/poorer/substandard/NO ground aids than what would preclude the continuation of an approach down south.

You either make it universal, or bin-13 it. Personally, I think it's a knee-jerk reaction to the accidents donald alluded to. What difference would it have made to those accidents? (none)
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 934
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:37 am
Location: Northern Can

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by Bushav8er »

Give me a break guys. We are not talking about 0/0 we are talking about the vis (CAR 602.128 specifies that landings are governed by published
DH/MDAs. - not vis) published as 1 mile but banned if it goes to 3/4 mile or 1 1/2 to 1 1/4! An approach should still be allowed - that ain't 'gun slinger' days.

If you want a 'rule' for yourselves, one that would make more sense is..."if the ceiling and vis is reported as below that on the CAP - no approach passed the FAF" - duh to simple. If you can't complete a landing from a STABLE approach with ceiling at or above published and vis as low as 1/2 to 3/4 mile you shouldn't be flying. Only until recently VFR was clear of cloud and 1 mile! :rolleyes:

Those accidents weren't because the CAPs were wrong they were because crews didn't follow them - perhaps it is DISPATCH/MANAGEMENT that needs the training and a ban on pressuring crews and pushing schedules :evil:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8092
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: Approach Ban Poll

Post by Rockie »

FlowPack wrote:
Rockie wrote: The approach ban may be an affront to you the aviation god, but regulations are made for the industry as a whole.
"minimums, no contact - go around".

If the ability to initiate that statement at the appropriate time and place make me a god rockie, you may be the first to bow down.
Personally, I thought the prerequisites were considerably higher.
You're missing the point because this isn't about you or your ability. What this rule does is remove any pressure your company may apply on you for commercial reasons to land when the weather isn't suitable. Late at night when you're tired and you really would prefer to just go to your alternate and call it a day, this makes it easy. However if the visibility falls below minimums after you pass the FAF you still get to display the decision making prowess you allude to here (which I congratulate you on by the way), and then go to your alternate. Except you'll have less gas and be at the wrong end of the line of airplanes diverting ahead of you who made the decision early.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”