Whitehorse

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

wollypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Whitehorse

Post by wollypilot »

Heading up to Whitehorse soon and holding for three days while the clients mess around. Need info on things to do while waiting.
Cheers,wp 8)
---------- ADS -----------

Ogee
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Whitehorse

Post by Ogee »

Live up to your sig line.

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

Buy gold. Check out the galleries. Oh, and the beer at the Gold Rush used to be pretty good too.

Prairie Chicken
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

It was 2 weeks ago.

Try the Tat Hot Springs, and go on the White Pass Railway while yer at it.

canpilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by canpilot »

herm,

Georgio's is pretty good! Also, there is some place down on main i think that has ribs, steak and salmon that a damn good.. or so I hear...

I think I've heard that the edgewater has some good eats.. ..? Dunno about that tho

tumbleweed
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tumbleweed »

Free Pour Joes. Can't remember anything else.

Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

First, go to the Visitors Center downtown and watch their 17 min movie. It's worth a trip around the whole territory. As JC suggests, arrange for the White Pass train ride.

If you can access wheels, Carcross is a garanteed nice afternoon.

If you stick around the airport, do the Transportation museum and have a beer at the Airport Chalet. You'll meet interesting aviation dudes there.

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Don't forget the Capital, KK, The 98, "redneck Joes" aka the freepour place, hint tip well first round it will make a difference on the next drink, and try the martini bar downstairs at the goldrush.. Good times

C-206
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C-206 »

Joe's free pour, the Capital, and the martini bar in the Gold Rush all have shut down, so has the Taku. The White Pass train only runs in summer, (and only out of Skagway). Still it's pretty tough not to have a good time in Whitehorse.

wollypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wollypilot »

Thanks for the info. I guess there are many ladies available?

What is Faro like? May go up there for the day with the clients.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I guess there are many ladies available?
Ladies are to difficult to get into bed in that short a stay, it's the sluts you should look for. :mrgreen:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
wollypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wollypilot »

Cat Driver wrote:
I guess there are many ladies available?
Ladies are to difficult to get into bed in that short a stay, it's the sluts you should look for. :mrgreen:

Cat I disagree: They are all sluts except for Mom, and you gotta watch her when she's drinkin'.

Cheers,wp 8)

swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by swordfish »

I think the White Pass Railway starts running early May; if you're going to be there then, this is the trip - and experience - of a lifetime, and not to be missed.

The scenery is unforgettable, no matter what part of the world you hail from, and the train is both romantic and rustic. It takes over 3 hours so if you can get a room in Skagway for a night, it will be well worth your while. There are a couple of B&B's there, as well as 2 hotels. You should make reservations - I don't think you can just walk on, as they are heavily booked.

Skagway itself is a stone's throw from the Gold Rush days. It is also COOL (like COLD) most of the year as it's right on the ocean and that's always cold. When it's overcast and rainy, it's downright miserable - outdoors! Get into one of the saloons or restaurants, and get a flavour of the Gold Rush.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

This is kind of an awkward time of year around Whitehorse - I would suggest something outdoorsy but not sure about snow conditions right now.

Skagway is a GREAT little trip, but keep in mind you don't get unlimited KM's on rental cars. Your limit is 100/day, then there's a per km charge. The Transportation Museum is cool, as is the Beringia Center. There isn't much in Carcross.

Short of drinking ( a lot) I'm not sure what to recommend. Giorgio's is not bad, the best pizza in town is beside the Kopper King at G&P. It's perfect, beer at the KK, stumble next door for awesome pizza!

The '98 is a cultural center. LOL. There's a pretty active night life on main street. Will admit though, that my favorite beer joint is the Chalet :D

I'll be up there on the 30th for a few days :smt023

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

Go see the kitty under glass... Just ask around and someone will point you in the right direction...Of course it will likely involve some drinking... lol

All Sides
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by All Sides »

Whitehorse has a $43,000,000 Canada Games Center worth checking out. (Thanks Canada) The Gold Rush (Best Western) has good live bands on Fri/Sat night usually blues bands, and a great Mexican restaurant called Cantina's. Good drives are Atlin or Skagway or out to Haines Junction.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

C-206 wrote:Joe's free pour, the Capital, and the martini bar in the Gold Rush all have shut down, so has the Taku.

:? :shock: :cry:

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

Met my wife there, she's one of Cat's type women.

There were no Tim's then and last count there are 3.

Is it to late in the season to go Dog Sledding?

Be sure to drive up Grey Mountain and hike the canyon.

Charles the Equestrian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Charles the Equestrian »

Whitehorse...WHITE HORSE? Sounds a bit racist to me. Just another case of White Honkey Donkeys keepin' a black horse down, in a one horse town.

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

Name comes from the rapids in Miles Canyon. The spray was like the mane of a White Horse.

Return to “General Comments”