Wasaya Layoffs?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tvguru
Rank 3
Rank 3

Wasaya Layoffs?

Post by tvguru »

Heard second hand that 2 FO's were laid off today as well as one PC12 is sold with another being for sale. Hope it's rumors, anyone know anything?
---------- ADS -----------

SmokinJoe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Wasaya Layoffs?

Post by SmokinJoe »

AFIK one PC12 is sold, but the layoffs are rumors, at least to me.

-Rockin In The Free World
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I can't see the economic turn down having much effect on Wasaya. It's a Government funded airline. They are mandated to fly X number of flights a day into Y number of reserves. As such, they are isolated from what's happening in the "real" world. Although, I can see them using the economy as an "excuse" to do a little house cleaning if it suits them.

And, Wasaya isn't alone on this.

tcas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tcas »

Some Cheese with that Whine! Doc!

meflypretty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by meflypretty »

I hear ya Doc. I think are a lot of companies using this economy as an excuse to reorganize, and look for bailouts. The economy is the new scapegoat.

even paranoids have real enemies
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Doc wrote:I can't see the economic turn down having much effect on Wasaya. It's a Government funded airline. They are mandated to fly X number of flights a day into Y number of reserves. As such, they are isolated from what's happening in the "real" world. Although, I can see them using the economy as an "excuse" to do a little house cleaning if it suits them.

Mandate would imply that the policy was put to a vote of some kind,and the budget was approved by the electorate's representatives in the Legislatures and Parliament.
I do not think that the average tax payer has a clue what is being done with their taxes.How is it that the Government can spend millions to support quango after quango that is not accountable to the taxpayer or electorate ?
Perhaps if people got off the couch at election time ,the politicians would have a clear mandate and not act like they know what is best for us .They might actually be inclined to look after the interests of those who pay their wages.And spend our money to benefit all Canadians not just the noisey troublemakers.Perhaps Taxpayers should have parades and roadblocks :lol: :lol:

Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Hot Fuel »

I call bullshit! Why don't the rules that I have to play by apply to the moderators? Yes Doc they weeded you out...isn't it time you build a bridge and get over it? Regardless of your history with Wasaya as a moderator of this sight you should be held to a higher standard than the average poster and refrain from posting comments that are not factual and inflamatory. They are not goverment funded, there is no mandate to operate any particular number of flights into any particular reserve.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Hot Fuel wrote:I call bullshit! Why don't the rules that I have to play by apply to the moderators? Yes Doc they weeded you out...isn't it time you build a bridge and get over it? Regardless of your history with Wasaya as a moderator of this sight you should be held to a higher standard than the average poster and refrain from posting comments that are not factual and inflamatory. They are not goverment funded, there is no mandate to operate any particular number of flights into any particular reserve.
I agree with Doc. He's right. The turndown does not affect Wasaya... the people of the Northern reserves still need their bread and milk and pop and chips and sugar and potatoes. They will still fly in and out on the tax payers money. Maybe Wasaya is not directly government funded, but the customers who support them are.

And there are other companies who fall into the same category.

I don't know why you got upset Hot Fuel... :?

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I don't know why you got upset Hot Fuel... :?
Either Hot Fuel doesn't have a clue about how the system to waste taxpayers money works pandering to the Indians or he/she is part of the problem.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Hot Fuel wrote:I call bullshit! Why don't the rules that I have to play by apply to the moderators? Yes Doc they weeded you out...isn't it time you build a bridge and get over it? Regardless of your history with Wasaya as a moderator of this sight you should be held to a higher standard than the average poster and refrain from posting comments that are not factual and inflamatory. They are not goverment funded, there is no mandate to operate any particular number of flights into any particular reserve.
Hot Fuel.. Before you attack a persons character on this board you may want to do your homework and get your facts straight. FYI, I RAN the base that Doc quit from. It was not Us weeding him out.. rather it was him weeding US out. Doc was and is one the best drivers Wasaya ever had! It was Wasayas loss when Doc left (by his choice) ..not the other way around. Save your uneducated posts for the misc section. Idiot!

Oh and what Doc said is 100% true. Wasaya has one of those "special cloaks" that allows them to function on a loss for unprecidented amounts of time. They do have set routes that they MUST complete to be eligible for the government money. As long as the planes show up.. NO ONE there seems to care who gets on or IF someone gets on. Wasaya was a part of my resume id rather forget. Too many chiefs and not enough indians period.

Fly safe all.

Edit for PS to answer question in this thread.. I have heard no rumours of lay offs at Wasaya at this point. It is a possibility though and they are definately not immune. No worries though, the hawker will be in with all the pop and chips you could ever want. Guaranteed!

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

Their newly formed pilot union is trying to negotiate a contract. Would this be a factor in the timing of the layoffs rather than the state of the world economy?

Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Hot Fuel »

Gee where to start? FITB as I recall you couldn't organize sex for yourself in a brothel... How long did you "run" the base? You are full of crap and you know itI'd say Doc was gone at least 8 or 9 years before your brief stint. Doc was classified as a junior captain and his name wouldn’t have come up in the same sentence with words like "Doc was and is one the best drivers Wasaya ever had!" as a matter of fact forget sentence, they wouldn’t have come up period.

Perhaps Doc can chime in and set the record straight…Which box was checked off on your REO… lay off, shortage of work or self termination?

At any rate, I don’t wish to drag this into the mud and make it personnel; my point was and still is…Why is it acceptable for a moderator to make statements about a company that are completely false and a thinly disguised racial commentary.

I am well aware of how things work Cat; you are not the only educated person on this board. I lifted a jug or two with Bill Blahey behind the meat counter in the Austin days myself.

Does anybody really think the feds can or do dictate to private companies when and where to operate in exchange for operating capital, cash, turning a blind eye to regulations violations, safety?

Do companies that operate in the north benefit from tax-payers dollars, absolutely. But not by way of direct payment, it’s a fee for service. Doc, do you guys fly the Crown around for free? Didn’t think so…Wasaya sends an invoice to NAN Legal for flying the lawyers, strange eh!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I am well aware of how things work Cat; you are not the only educated person on this board. I lifted a jug or two with Bill Blahey behind the meat counter in the Austin days myself
Education comes from having done and seen how things are done Hot Fuel, lifting a jug or two with Bill Blahey has no bearing on how the system works in the background.

Does anybody really think the feds can or do dictate to private companies when and where to operate in exchange for operating capital, cash, turning a blind eye to regulations violations, safety?
Yup, for sure I not only think the system is run in the background as crooked as the Mafia runs their business I can prove it. However I have no direct knowledge of Wasaya nor do I personally care how they operate, my comments were that the air service industry in the north of Canada has always been tainted by politics that pander to the Indians and the drones in Ottawa that run the Indian affairs and northern development.

I found South Africa to be a step above Canada when it comes to apartheid.

By the way I do not know Doc nor have I ever worked with him, my comments are mine based on my experience with the people who run this government.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

Doc wrote:I can't see the economic turn down having much effect on Wasaya. It's a Government funded airline. They are mandated to fly X number of flights a day into Y number of reserves. As such, they are isolated from what's happening in the "real" world. Although, I can see them using the economy as an "excuse" to do a little house cleaning if it suits them.

Let's see. "I can't see the economic turn down having much effect on Wasaya..." This is a totally true statement. Wasaya enjoys a "captive and protected" market.

They do indeed operate every day into several "member" reserves. Where do you think the money for all these flights comes from? The tax payer. The passengers "pay" some of the cost, but very little. Where do the vast majority of these passengers get the money? High paying jobs? Doubt it.

"using the economy as an excuse to do a little house cleaning..." That's pretty obvious. Rumour has it they are parking or moving PC12's to YQT. And, buying more 1900's. They're paying for these airplanes...how? Their head office is on a reserve to avoid paying tax.

This is what has you all pissed Hot Fuel? Instead of trying to "out" someone on the forum, smell the roses.
:bear: :bear:

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Before I read this thread, I had no idea about Wasaya. But Hot Fuel. You have changed all that. If you work there I certainly could understand why they are having problems.

The personal attacks here, on anyone, moderator or not, are really uncalled for. You should give some thought to taking some time off from posting until you can discuss things you disagree with , without the personal attacks.

Having said that, some of your comments, if they are not true, are clearly libelous.

As to Wasaya..who cares if they are or are not laying off pilots. If they really are it might be nice to have a little sensitivity for those that got laid off in these times. And if not...well I guess gossip is gossip.

In any event, I hope one of the other mods might look at the tone of the posts and deal with the very personal, and I think, unwarrented and libelous attacks on named individuals.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I love the smell of slander in the morning. Smells like sour grapes!

Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Hot Fuel »

I fail to see your point about attempting to out anybody. Doc has stated on this forum that he once was employed by the company. Flyingthebug has also identified himself as a one time employee.

I made no attempt to out them, after flyingthebug jumped to Docs defense with statements about abilities I merely reminded him that he wasn’t around to know, missed him by 8 or 9 years. I didn’t say Doc was a shitty pilot, lazy or had an attitude problem…I just said he would have been considered a junior captain, there were a number of grey hairs in the ranks. Part of this thread was about lay-offs, my recollection was that Doc was layed off…Did I take a jab at Doc and suggest he was weeded out, yup. Was I sincere in my suggestion…that s for you to decide. The offer to correct my statement was made, Doc chooses not to answer, and that’s his prerogative.

If there were any slandering or libelous statements being made I feel they were coming from Doc, a moderator of this sight. The statement that Wasaya is a government funded airline is simply untrue and paints an ugly picture that does an injustice to all that are employed there. My issue is with the notion that a moderator can say what he wants, true or false and it seems to be acceptable.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

If there were any slandering or libelous statements being made I feel they were coming from Doc, a moderator of this sight. The statement that Wasaya is a government funded airline is simply untrue and paints an ugly picture that does an injustice to all that are employed there.
I take it that the following is untrue?

Let's see. "I can't see the economic turn down having much effect on Wasaya..." This is a totally true statement. Wasaya enjoys a "captive and protected" market.

They do indeed operate every day into several "member" reserves. Where do you think the money for all these flights comes from? The tax payer. The passengers "pay" some of the cost, but very little. Where do the vast majority of these passengers get the money? High paying jobs? Doubt it.

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Hot Fuel.. lol. That was a good one. Yes, I was only at Wasaya for 6 1/2 months. My leaving was in step with the resignation of the exec VP and for reasons far beyond your scope of knowledge or understanding. Since you know so much about Wasaya then you would know I left when PD left..shortly after I left, the director of commercial services left as did two other senior managers. The problems in YRL were far bigger then I was capable of handling. Not because I couldnt organize sex at a brothel , but because "some" of the crew were focused more on THEFT then on running an airline. I walked into YRL and on my first day was handed a sheet by the DOCS stating that 29K in cash was missing over the previous year.. It continued to a point that we brought in a former Base Mgr to assist me for 8 weeks in learning the "system".. It became impossible to control the base even after I implemented a receipt system that at very least ensured the pilots were at least above suspicion. 4 months after I left.. I rec`d a call from the OPP to advise me that Wasaya just had 100K in CASH stolen enroute to YPM. Thats a FACT. BB and myself threw up our arms on my LAST day as we simply KNEW who it was, but could do nothing to prove it. It was the most helpless feeling Ive ever had in business. See, if this airline was not government funded as it IS, they would have CARED about the $$$$ walking out the door in YRL and YRL was not the only base experiencing problems. It simply was outta control and BB and myself BOTH walked away. My resignation was OFFERED not requested.

As for Doc.. It wasnt 8-9 years before my tenure started that Doc was there. I believe it was approx 4 years before I was there..In anycase, Docs name was still being kicked around Wasaya and the senior drivers there had nothing but GOOD to say about Doc.. You JR Capt you lol. They said he made waves sometimes but never did anyone question his work ethic or his abilities in the cockpit. He was a very capable part of the Wasaya team and his experience and leadership were still being missed 4 years later. So id suggest Doc left a positive impact on the people he worked with at Wasaya. I also know Doc beyond just this board and his abilities in the cockpit. He is a gentlemen and a man of his word. He cares about the younger crew and didnt deserve Hot fuels attack.. and telling him to build a bridge and get over it?? Get over what? Docs departure from Wasaya was Wasayas loss and I stand by my original comments!

Hot Fuel what are you so bitter about!? May I suggest valium..
Im off to organize my next HOE DOWN
Fly safe all

BushPile-it
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BushPile-it »

I have been reading this forum for many years now and by choice, have decided to stay out of all the arguements and bickering. I couldnt however in good conscience let this thread go by without saying something.

I worked for Wasaya during Docs time there as well as FTBs time there. I liked both of these gentlemen and I simply couldnt stand by and watch yet another attack of decent and good people who sincerely try in our industry.

I have flown with Doc and hes a good pilot. He did tend to ruffle the feathers of management but not everyone viewed that as a bad thing. FTB was Base Mgr for approx 6 months a couple years ago and as I remember he was very pleasant and professional. Yes he rides a Harley big damn deal! He had weekly staff meetings and did try to make changes. He did implement a receipt system in order to keep the pilots "sheltered" from managements accusations and concerns over missing money at the base. That base has been experiencing theft long before either Doc or FTB were there. As FTB pointed out, there was a huge theft out of YRL long after FTB left. To say he couldnt organize "sex at a brothel" is unfair, unjust, undeserved and simply ridiculous. As I stated earlier, I have read this forum for a long time and I find both Docs and FTBs posts to usually be helpful and informative. To see them both being trashed by someone at this airline is unconscienable and Hot Fuel you should be ashamed of yourself! You too have exhibited intelligent and accurate posts in the past but sadly you are way off base on these two gentlemen.

FTB, you did a good job at Wasaya and you earned the respect of several of the flight and ground crew in YRL. *We* hope you are doing better since your accident last May.
Doc: Keep em on their toes there eh guy! ;)

Hows that for a 2 post wonder?

Return to “General Comments”