King Air 200 Question?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bravowhiskey
Rank 2
Rank 2

King Air 200 Question?

Post by bravowhiskey »

Can you act as PIC on a King Air 200 with a CPL? or is the ATPL required?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

nookie201
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: King Air 200 Question?

Post by nookie201 »

I'd say CPL as B200 Max T/O is 12500LB

-G

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

It's a high preformance aircraft, so it requires at type rating. I think you need your ATPL.
I could check but I'm lazy.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

No reason at all you can't fly one with a CPL. Yes, you need a type rating, but it's because of the performance, not the weight.

B200Driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by B200Driver »

I fly a B200 and have for a while, it requires a PPC and a commercial license.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Um, been a while since I looked in the CARS at this stuff, but wouldn't one simply need a private pilot's license with a multi-engine endorsement (and the type rating)?

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Well, if the aircraft is your own and not operated for hire. Now many people on this forum own their own Kingair?
Canoehead wrote:Um, been a while since I looked in the CARS at this stuff, but wouldn't one simply need a private pilot's license with a multi-engine endorsement (and the type rating)?

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
roger.roger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by roger.roger »

deppends on if it has a pod i.e. Vne of 246kts or not >250kts. with a pod there is no requirment for the type rating. not to mention that no type rating would be required if it's privatly operated

I think that if you stick to the dotted lines when making the folds your might have some aviation success.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Wow. So many wrong answers.

The King Air 200 is certified single crew. Therefore no ATPL required. A private or commercial licence will suffice. Neither the weight nor the performance dictate the type of licence, the minimum crew specified on the type certificate does that.

As for a type rating, as stated, some require it, some do not, depending on performance. Some B200 are high performance and have a pod, so this is not an indication of whether or not it is high performance.

There is no requirement for a PPC. PPCs are required depending on the rules the aircraft is operated under. If the Company Operations Manual states that pilots need a PPC, then they need one.

timexd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by timexd »

Commercial license is ok. If the aircraft is operated 703/704 then a 703/704 PPC is required. If it is operated 604 then a 604 standard PPC is required. As it is a pressurized turbine aircraft it must be operated either under (or both) a commercial AOC or a POC (Private Operator's Certificate).

Connor M
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Connor M »

The bigger point that no one has mentioned is contractual obligations. If the contract says atpl, Then it is an atpl required. It doesn't matter what the cars say if your company has agreed to provide an atpl licenced pilot. That assumes they want to keep their contract.

Flybaby
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Flybaby »

This is a little bit of a hijack, but I've heard the some Transport guy's require an ATPL because the companies op's manual states two crew. It should only have to depend on the aircraft certification, but some transport guys have different ideas.

lowlevel
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowlevel »

I know of a guy that fly's a CJ with a private license, commercial only!

Mrs.Robinson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mrs.Robinson »

This is a little bit of a hijack, but I've heard the some Transport guy's require an ATPL because the companies op's manual states two crew. It should only have to depend on the aircraft certification, but some transport guys have different ideas.
It does not matter what some transport guy said. All you need it the CAR's and the ability to read English. If the Aircraft is not certified multi crew on the type certificate , then you do not need an IATRA or ATPL. If I had a C-172 that was operated 703 and the ops manual required 2 pilots, would you need an ATPL? No because I can read English and can look in the CAR's and find the answer. I know that there are some gray areas in the CAR's but this is not one of them. The requirements for a commercial license have no gray area, so If a transport employee tell you the requirements for a commercial license are 300 hours , then he is an Idiot.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

-

Last edited by altiplano on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
roger.roger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by roger.roger »

what is the difference? A couple knots on the Vmo?
yep 4kts on the 200's that I've flown (246 Kts Vne)

I think that if you stick to the dotted lines when making the folds your might have some aviation success.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

-

Last edited by altiplano on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
roger.roger
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by roger.roger »

the 200's that I have flowen have all had pods that limited the Vne to 246kts. High preformance is 250+kts. so our aircraft weren't certified for the "high Preformance" catagory and there for no requirment for the type rating. Other 200's are certified with a Vne in excess of 250Kts and therefor require a type rating.

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Captain X »

The King air 200 (1300 SERIES) but is a type rating. It was not manufactured to have an autopilot so its required to have 2 pilots.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

-

Last edited by altiplano on Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Comments”