Sulako asks "Is it legal?"

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Sulako asks "Is it legal?"

Post by Cat Driver »

Hey Cat,
did tc tell you that you couldn't use an aircraft without brakes on both sides for ab-initio training??!!!!!
No, my comment was made because when I used to post on the flight training forum there was a discussion about that and someone said that they would not instruct in an airplane without brakes on both sides.
how the heck could anyone have gotten a license 40 yrs (or less) ago if those "dangerous tailwheeled" aircraft where all that was available?
Exactly, the Fleet Canuck is an excellent training machine and only has brakes on the left side.
"normal" and "safe" and "do-able" these days is WAY different than even 20 yrs ago.
Some feel it is dumbing down the quality of pilot.
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
bbb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bbb »

yup,
getting an awful lot of new pilots that go "really, you can do that?" or "that kind of airplane can do that" lately.... it just seems to get worse as time goes by... along with an awful lot of knee-jerk reactions from people who should know better (young cfi's, tc, etc) if thats the way those in positions of influence handle stuff, how is a young up-and-coming pilot supposed to improve?

"oh, I have slipped.." into what, we're not sure
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

along with an awful lot of knee-jerk reactions from people who should know better (young cfi's, tc, etc) if thats the way those in positions of influence handle stuff, how is a young up-and-coming pilot supposed to improve?
This attitude comes from ignorance.

They are a product of their environment and if they were never exposed to anything more complex than a kiddie car type of trainer they can not really be blamed for not knowing anything other than simple idiot proof machines.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Check Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Check Pilot »

Sulako,

Aside from all the previous riffraff from everyone, you can certainly fly a C-550 with anyone in the right seat, or even in the left seat. Most C-550's only require 1 pilot, according to the flight Manual. - And that's your bible to what you want to do. There were a couple of C-550's that I know of, that might require 2 pilots, but nothing in Canadian regs require 2 pilots in an aeroplane if the flight manual does not prohibit it.

That applies to training flights or ferry only, BUT, ----- if it comes down to passenger carrying, then under CAR 704 ya gotta get the Flightsafety, Simuflite, Simcom, -whoever- simulator training and the approved company training requirements in your OPs Manual under your belt and a valid PPC before carrying anyone, Commercially under CAR 704 or Privately under CAR and CBAA CAR 604. That also is a requirement under CAR 604 except for the PPC requirement.

As a small side note, you can fly a B747 or A380 on a student pilot permit if there is no commercial intent and ZERO passengers are carried and you are with someone that has a valid Canadian Instructors rating for purposes of dual training of solo if that instructor approves it. (However those aeroplanes do require 2 pilots to operate according to the Flight Manual) - neither, however, that has to be rated BTW.

I forgot to add that the pilot's also require a type rating for C-550/551's on their licences before carrying passengers as well. Some of those type ratings are only "high performance" and only require a recommend to get it or under CAR 704 do require a PPC.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

This thread started with a question of "finesseing" the rules for flying a jet clearly designed to be operated by two qualified pilots with one pilot and somebody with basically no knowledge or understanding of their duties. Somehow it has migrated to discussing the dumbing down of Canadian aviation as allegedly exlemplified by the example that some instructors on light wheel aircraft want to have brakes on their side. Sorry but I do not get the connection.

pile driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pile driver »

In order to train like you mention its very simple. Your training program in your ops manual has to outline the program. Regardless of POC or 704, it has to be approved in the ops manual. The ops manual , if like ours, would identify training as per sims and in aircraft training. The flight has to be designated a training flight. Again regardless if its private or under 704, it has to be atraining flight and not a cruise flight from A to B. Taking buddies flying who are out of PPC date on flight to recurrent them I think falls under a rule that you have called in the past.......flying for free! or not?? You can't train someone from left seat and sign them off as an acp. You can't also train them and act as ACP. I believe TC will smack you on that. Is it legal, I believe not. I'm not grinding gears either nor would I care if I did.....just stating fact. If in doubt, talk to your TC inspector. Asking on a public forum is funny. Of course all hypothetical right!

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Look at:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regse ... t42102.htm

which says:
C550 Citation II 2T 2
Last column says "2" which is "minimum pilot requirement".

Mind you, if you have paper from Transport which says that
you are type rated as PIC single-pilot, go for it!

Return to “General Comments”