Water Bomber Crash in Kelowna

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Water Bomber Crash in Kelowna

Post by Flybabe »

Same here - 8 hrs flight, 14 hrs duty.
---------- ADS -----------

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

When the OMNR put their Twin Otters on Whipline amphib water-bombing floats it was a bit of a learning curve for everyone. I wasn't all that long before one of the boys landed on the runway gearup. The aircraft slid to a halt and was picked up with a crane and the gear was lowered. No harm done, just a little aluminum and paint wear. One of the other pilots remarked " that pilot should be fired on the spot, there is no excuse for this". Well about ten days later guess who lands gear up, you guessed it, only this time Mr Superpilot pours the power to it trying to get back in the air. Didn't get airborn again but much more damage. Be careful what you say Doc, you may have to eat your words one day.

mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

NWONT wrote:When the OMNR put their Twin Otters on Whipline amphib water-bombing floats it was a bit of a learning curve for everyone. I wasn't all that long before one of the boys landed on the runway gearup. The aircraft slid to a halt and was picked up with a crane and the gear was lowered. No harm done, just a little aluminum and paint wear. One of the other pilots remarked " that pilot should be fired on the spot, there is no excuse for this". Well about ten days later guess who lands gear up, you guessed it, only this time Mr Superpilot pours the power to it trying to get back in the air. Didn't get airborn again but much more damage. Be careful what you say Doc, you may have to eat your words one day.
You mention those two, but don't mention the one they put in the lake with the gear down? :roll:

We're all here, because we're not all there.
CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

One....... better check your addition!!!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Sorry, CL-guy, he's right, its two.

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Damn, I'm wrong again and my addition is getting as bad as my memory.

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

You mention those two, but don't mention the one they put in the lake with the gear down?
They put a Maule and Turbo Beaver in with the gear down. The Twin Otter opened it's bomb doors while on the water and flipped. Mitigating factor was an unguarded bomb button located next to the probe retract button. The mistake here being the pilot left the bomb system armed.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

You mention those two, but don't mention the one they put in the lake with the gear down?
This is the comment I was responding to!!!!!!!! Lets not forget Pembroke!!!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I can see calling a king air driver who lands with the wheels up without any mechanical issues a moron, but a guy driving amphibs, thats a complete different story.. Shit can go wrong fast...

Saw some firebosses in dubrovnik 2 days ago...

firedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by firedog »

yes, he was terminated on friday

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Hate to hear that. I thought ConAir had a great SMS in place. One things for sure he'd never ever do it again but I guess rope is cheaper. :cry:

Flying Nutcracker
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Flying Nutcracker »

Driving Rain wrote:
Hate to hear that. I thought ConAir had a great SMS in place. One things for sure he'd never ever do it again but I guess rope is cheaper. :cry:
I think SMS has spoken... cause and risk potential removed.

Rowdy... I don't see it!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Therefore we are to understand from this that said pilot had a history of high risk potential, and or other accidents that were avoidable?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Not really. They're still exposed because they have to replace him. :?

MichaelP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MichaelP »

. I think you might see where I'm coming from when it's the choice between amphibs and straight floats, complicated and uncomplicated.

You need to highly aware, and awake, when you fly amphibious aircraft. There's no forgiveness.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

You need to highly aware, and awake, when you fly amphibious aircraft. There's no forgiveness.
They don't fly any different than any other sea plane.

It is when you land them you have to be wide awake. :smt040

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Flying Nutcracker
Rank 6
Rank 6

Cat Driver wrote:

Therefore we are to understand from this that said pilot had a history of high risk potential, and or other accidents that were avoidable?
A bit of tongue in cheek there, Cat! It seems these kind of things have a one-strike clause... No matter how simplex or complex of an operation you are involved in there seems to be certain things you simply cannot excuse. Be it a King Air or an amphibious, one flight a day or 8 hours on a fire, as pilots we are still responsible for the safe operation of the equipment we are flying. I have no experience with the waterbombing way of life, but it seems from all the comments made there is a certain expectation of performance that outweights personal limitation. Just an observational observation... This does not excuse anyone.

As I said before, I have the utmost respect for the fire suppression industry and I am awed by their work, but safety and safe operation of the aircraft is still the number one priority! Even when it comes to the pure basic operation of said aircraft.
Driving Rain wrote:
Not really. They're still exposed because they have to replace him. :?
And with this I fully agree!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

A bit of tongue in cheek there, Cat! It seems these kind of things have a one-strike clause...
If there is a one strike clause in these wrong gear position selections how many of the gear up accidents with land planes result in the crew being fired?

Flying Nutcracker
Rank 6
Rank 6

I honestly don't know. I was just referring to what has been discussed in the one King Air and this waterbomber accident. So for all I know I can be wrong in my statements as I really and truly don't have all the facts... It's just my Sunday entertainment! :smt014

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

:smt040 :smt008

Return to “General Comments”