Plane crash near Lake Muskoka

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

canwhitewolf
Rank 8
Rank 8

Plane crash near Lake Muskoka

Post by canwhitewolf »

Jasmeet Sidhu
Staff Reporter

The long-weekend holiday is ending on an ominous note after OPP officials confirm that a small airplane has crashed in cottage country this afternoon.

The plane crashed at around 3:30 p.m. in the town of Torrance near Lake Muskoka, said OPP Sgt. Matt Hanes. Police would not confirm how many people were on board, or whether they survived.

An employee at nearby Bala Cove Marina recalled hearing a lot of commotion and seeing black smoke around the time of the crash.

"I saw a bunch of black smoke in the south east direction where we are at around 3:30 p.m. and heard a bunch of sirens," he said.

The plane crash wraps up a violent weekend in cottage country. The plane crash occurred just 30 km away from where three GTA residents are presumed to have drowned in Moon River Falls near MacTier yesterday afternoon.

Their bodies have not been recovered, and OPP's Underwater Search and Recovery Unit have called off the search until tomorrow morning due to the heavy flow of water and strong currents in the area.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/675610
---------- ADS -----------

helpmefly
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Plane crash near Lake Muskoka

Post by helpmefly »

God bless the families of the people on board the aircraft.

canuckcam
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by canuckcam »

Unconfirmed registration is C-GGMG. Police confirm it's a Cessna 206 on floats which matches the registration. Aircraft crashed right in the middle of three cottages, less than 100m from each one.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Were there Cb's in the area at the time? Low
clouds/vis?

P.S. The TV news tonight said the pilot was
a Bay St guy from Toronto - chairman of Nesbitt
Burns, IIRC.

canuckcam
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by canuckcam »

I think here's how they got it, but the police have not released the identities yet. C-GGMG comes back to Richard Lawrence, and googling the address listed returns to Lawrence Asset Management, http://www.lawrenceasset.com.

METARs for Muskoka at around 3:30pm
CYQA 032000Z AUTO 17010KT 9SM BKN066 OVC091 21/12 A2986 RMK SLP113 DENSITY ALT 2000FT TS/LTNG TEMPO UNAVBL
CYQA 031900Z AUTO 15010G15KT 9SM FEW035 BKN066 BKN096 BKN120 22/13 A2986 RMK SLP114 DENSITY ALT 2000FT MAX WND 16017KT AT 1839Z TS/LTNG TEMPO UNAVBL
CYQA 031850Z AUTO 16009G15KT 9SM OVC066 22/13 A2987 RMK SLP116 DENSITY ALT 2000FT MAX WND 16017KT AT 1839Z TS/LTNG TEMPO UNAVBL

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

I was in Muskoka yesterday. There were light showers in the vicinity, winds as published. Cigs and vis good VFR. Sad to hear a happy long weekend excursion turn tragic.

Airband
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Airband »

Bay St. heavweight dies in Muskoka crash

Aug 04, 2009 - Toronto Star
Daniel Dale - Staff Reporter.

The man killed in a Muskoka plane crash yesterday afternoon was Bay St. luminary Jack Lawrence, founder and chief executive officer of the Toronto investments firm Lawrence and Co.

Carol Richardson, a woman the company identified as Lawrence's companion, also died in the crash.

Lawrence, 75, was a prominent Bay St. figure for decades, originally making his name as a bond trader and rising to the position of president at the firm Fry Mills Spence.

As chairman of the successor firm Burns Fry, he oversaw its 1994 sale to the Bank of Montreal for $403 million.

Lawrence, 5-foot-3, was renowned for his dual passions for fitness and fiscal policy.

'killed on impact when float plane crashes on takeoff'

ch135146
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ch135146 »

"Lawrence, an experienced pilot who had survived two previous crashes ..."

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/col ... abcc027a10

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

:shock:

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

CADORS Number: 2009O1629 Reporting Region: Ontario

Occurrence InformationOccurrence Type: Accident Occurrence Date: 2009/08/03
Occurrence Time: 1945 Z Day Or Night: day-time
Fatalities: 2 Injuries: 0

Canadian Aerodrome ID: Aerodrome Name:
Occurrence Location: Lake Muskoka (near Torrance, ON) Province: Ontario

Reported By: NAV CANADA AOR Number: 109767-V2
TSB Class Of Investigation: 3 TSB Occurrence No.: A09O0159
Event InformationCollision with object
Other operational incident
Aircraft InformationFlight #:
Aircraft Category: Aeroplane Country of Registration: CANADA
Make: CESSNA Model: TU206G
Year Built: 1980 Amateur Built: No
Engine Make: TELEDYNE CONTINENTAL Engine Model: TSIO-520-M
Engine Type: Reciprocating Gear Type: Land & Sea
Phase of Flight: Takeoff Damage: Destroyed
Owner: Private Operator:
Operator Type: Commercial

Detail InformationUser Name: Boles, Will
Date: 2009/08/04
Further Action Required: No
O.P.I.:
Narrative: OPP called to report a fatal aircraft accident on Lake Muskoka. It appears that the aircraft may have clipped some trees and impacted near the shore line. A post impact fire obscured any identifying marks. Two fatalities were reported. TSB Advised. DND called at 2127Z, aircraft identified as a Commercial registered, privately operated TU206G that crashed on take-off.

User Name: Donaldson, John
Date: 2009/08/13
Further Action Required: Yes
O.P.I.: System Safety
Narrative: UPDATE Supplemental information received from T.S.B. Initial Notification [#A09O0159]: The privately-owned Cessna TU-206G aircraft equipped with amphibious floats, was taking off from Sandy Point in Lake Muskoka near Torrance, ON. The aircraft climbed to approximately 30 feet above the lake surface and remained at this altitude until it began striking tree tops on the shoreline, approximately one (1) statute mile from the beginning of the take-off run. The aircraft then entered a steep, nose-down attitude and struck several other trees until it came to rest in an inverted position. A fire broke out and the aircraft was destroyed. Both occupants aboard were fatally injured. T.S.B. investigators were dispatched to the site and will initiate an investigation into this accident. The Class of Investigation was set as Class 3. A Minister's Observer has been appointed.
Private owner, commercial operator?

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
md
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by md »

I'm fairly certain that aircraft used to run for Cloud Air back before they ceased operations. If it was registered Commercially for them, it probably wasn't changed to Private on the ownership change and I'm not sure if you have to or not. Comments?

bbb
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bbb »

"I'm fairly certain that aircraft used to run for Cloud Air back before they ceased operations. If it was registered Commercially for them, it probably wasn't changed to Private on the ownership change and I'm not sure if you have to or not. Comments?

uhh, have you ever applied for a Cof R, or change of Registration? form 26-0522, "purpose - Private, State, Commercial"

"oh, I have slipped.." into what, we're not sure
cloudrunner
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by cloudrunner »

md wrote:I'm fairly certain that aircraft used to run for Cloud Air back before they ceased operations. If it was registered Commercially for them, it probably wasn't changed to Private on the ownership change and I'm not sure if you have to or not. Comments?
You are correct. Jack and Dean had an arrangement where the aircraft was maintained commercially and used as part of Cloud Air's fleet.

I had the pleasure of working for Dean for about 6 months in 2006 and on several occasions would go down to Buttonville to pick up Jack and fly right seat with him back up to his cottage. He was an interesting guy I came to find on our 30 or so minute flights. He had done a lot in his life and seem to be enjoying himself into his 70's. He would pull up to the airport in his little black Maserati Spyder, fire in his golf clubs and leather satchel and off we would go.

I just found out about the accident this morning and was truely saddned. Not the way to end a long and fruitful life.

RIP Jack

Scott

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Findings as to Causes and Contributing Factors
1.The aircraft struck the trees for undetermined reasons.
2.A fire erupted after the ground impact, consuming most of the aircraft.

http://tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/a ... 9o0159.asp

smoleniuch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by smoleniuch »

Nowaday a lot of air crashes are caused by human error,thats rly sad.

R.I.P :?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”