anyone moved to Canada?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

iwillflyajet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iwillflyajet »

Im not sure about the customs thing!!!
or about how many aussie girlfriends you are allowed to have or collect coming into or leaving orstraylia mate!!
For some reasons unknown to me, canadians love the aussie accent and vice versa....
us aussie guys treat the woman over here pretty well.
we open car doors and take them out to the theatre etc....etc....

but what I do want to know!!!!
is it worth while heading up to Alberta to see if I get a job with Kenn Borek air in Calgary?? because I am going to have to do some sort of a roadtrip around Canada.

I have over 1000 hours scenic flying experience should I approach Niagara falls air for a job? what are the chances of getting in with them?
I am getting some good pms about what I should do and where I should go.
thanks guys and gals.
---------- ADS -----------

joycer_01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by joycer_01 »

I recently converted my Austrlian CPL to Canadian. I already held a Can. PPL but shouldn't make any of a difference. The conversion itself isn't really a big deal - flight test, written, the usual. Written is 1 exam - compared with CASA's onslaught of 7. If you've written the Aus. ATPL's definitely no trouble at all. Haven't done the conversion on ATPL's or IREX so not too sure how they are. Speaking to a couple of people - http://www.aerocourse.com works pretty well to convert them.

Good luck with it mate.

Vickers vanguard
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Vickers vanguard »

hey all of you freaking FOREIGN PILOTS :lol: :lol: what are you doing here in Canada.....taking our jobs ? go away !
Don't like what I said......see other post: Pilots with accents !

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

The right to work is by Marriage to a canadian.
A pregnant one that is!!
it is beginning to sink in how big a move it will be to Canada
Let us know when it sinks in how much work being a parent is! :D If you can still see enough with the bags pulling your eyes down to fly, you should have no trouble converting the licenses. Good luck with everything!

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
joycer_01
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by joycer_01 »

Vickers vanguard wrote:hey all of you freaking FOREIGN PILOTS :lol: :lol: what are you doing here in Canada.....taking our jobs ? go away !
Don't like what I said......see other post: Pilots with accents !

Canadian through and through thanks.

iwillflyajet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iwillflyajet »

hmmmmmmmmmm :roll:

now... Vickers vanguard, lets look at how aussies treat foreign pilots when they come to australia!

going back a few years now when I was a new pilot myself.
I met a Canadian pilot who was engaged to an aussie. I met him one day when I was washing the saltwater off the floatplane at about 7pm.
I had just finished a hard days work. he wanted to chat so I explained to him I had a few things to finish off before I could talk to him. when I had finished 10 minutes later, I sat down and talked to him for what must have been 1 hour over a beer. I didnt Have a girl to go home to back in those days!!
now I had just finished a shift which was going on 11 hours. I could have just brushed him off and said I was busy..like what you Vickers might have done.

when we had finished our chat. he had just about every contact I had in my mobile to help this guy get a start in the aviation industry.
I got a phone call from him three weeks later, to say thank you for giving him some help. he had just pulled off his first job from a freind of mine who knew of a job going in Alice Springs flying a Baron.
this is before 9/11 mind you.
I felt pretty good about helping this Guy. Last I heard he was flying for a regional Airline in Australia somewhere.

I am so glad that not all Canadians are not like you Vickers Vanguard. Your comments show how narrow minded you are in the "I hate people with accents " thread.
you are not really a pilot are you Vickers??? :P

Vickers vanguard
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Vickers vanguard »

Iwillflyajet.....
It was a joke ! didn't you look at the other thread: "I hate pilots with accents "
Well, I don't think you did.........I'am the one fighting the stupids !!
I just wanted to get some Foreign/expatriate/imported/immigrants or whatever they call us :lol: :lol: :lol: , to talk about this issue.
I'm just like you buddy..............

Welcome to the forum ! it's not always that serious. a lot of the times, I think some of the guys get me going just for the fun !!.........hey ! what about that accent ? etc.. etc...

Australia ! hhaaaaaa! spent 4 years there when I was a kid between 1972-76, but unfortunately I didn't get to see any of the fancy places :cry: :cry: my mum was working for a large textile company based in Camberra, and most of the travel was to the Australian outbacks ! farms and sheeps! no beaches, no nice girls in bikini...... :cry: :cry:

iwillflyajet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iwillflyajet »

yeah you're right!!! I didnt read the post untill I had finished mine :oops:

sorry about that old chap :lol:

I have enjoyed reading about how the aviation industry works in Canada.
Australia has some of the same issues going on within our industry. particularly the erosion of pay and the expectation now is to pay for your 737 endorsement to get a job with virgin blue.

GA is dying a slow death here in Australia, I have my opinion on what is causing it, but it is widely known what the factor is behind it and why it is happening.

Airtids if you have you have any advice on parenthood I would love to hear from ya :wink:

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

Check your PMs.

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

My pleasure:
Sleep whenever you can.
Get a house with a spare bedroom- you're gonna need it.
Remember, as a new Dad, there's not a whole lot you can do for the kid. Being a good Dad means being a good partner, as tough as that is at times.
Did I mention sleep whenever you can?

"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
iwillflyajet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iwillflyajet »

what do you mean?? I will be tired all the time!!!!

I will take your advice on board about being supportive to the wife. I have noticed a change in her since she got pregnent. I have learnt to cop it and take the flak.

also on another note. how much are pilot medicals? and how long will it take to get my medical?
I have heard that it takes up to a month to get it after the examination. is that info correct???
who is the best in the London area???

dr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Calgary

Post by dr »

Hey iwillfly;

I'm a dual Canadian/Australian citizen (Auz by descent). If you end up in Calgary to look for a job, let me know (private message me) as you are welcome to stay at my place. And I've finally converted my wife so that all she drinks is good Australian wine. :)

-dr

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

iwillflyajet you mentioned something about working on ski fields and so know what to expect as far as the weather goes!!! ha you better take a look at the temperatures we get here in Canada, im not trying to discourage you from coming but you better be prepared for up to -40 with wind chill...

iwillflyajet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iwillflyajet »

well I will be there in three weeks. it cant be as bad as +40 degrees for fives months straight ehh? with humidity as well. I am so glad the air con works well.

PTC..... I think that I will probably acclimatise pretty quickly. that is why we planned on coming in april and not december :wink:
I think you are right that the weather will be extreme come winter time, but I am looking at getting away from this heat more than anything.

DR..... I have had to down most of our hunter valley wine before we go. which of course is nearly finished. when we were in Canada the last time, I had the Ice wine from niagara which went down very well.
I am planning on going to calgary to look for a job as I know quite a few people who live there. I have heard very good reports about living in Calgary.

onfinal
Rank 1
Rank 1

marriage for work

Post by onfinal »

Just wondering............is it that easy for canadians to work in aussie land ?Just marry a local?

ptc
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ptc »

im sure you will do fine over here and get used to our weather. when i was down in aussie it took me a while to get used to the heat...what do you have to do in order to transfer your licence to a canadian one?

iwillflyajet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iwillflyajet »

Transport canada say that I have to do a theory exam, medical, and flight test.
I went on the website the other day to have a look. it sounds like it shouldnt be too hard.
so really it will mean doing a couple of flights before hand to get up to speed on canadian airspace and airlaw.
I am hoping not to spend too much money.

water wings
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by water wings »

[quote="I am hoping not to spend too much money.[/quote]
huh? say again? you are coming to Canada for flying, right? "the land of the Fees and freeze"
anyway...i'm about to bail on this industry, so feel free to shack up with me in my car/home. ...
i just applied for 5 jobs down under. Do you know how to sign up my CDN spouse?
Wish me luck.

iwillflyajet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iwillflyajet »

of all the airlines to get to canada

emirates were alright
air new zealand to Lax was long and boring.
air canada was by far the best. new planes, great service.
well done guys keep up the good work.

yes it is cold here. after all I left when it was 40 degrees.
thank goodnes it is coming into spring. :lol:

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Welcome home...

Return to “General Comments”