Lighthouses losing keepers

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Lighthouses losing keepers

Post by Widow »

BC Lightkeepers were notified last Tuesday, Sept. 1, by Kevin Carrigan, Supt Nav Aids Program and Susan Steele, Regional Director of Maritime Services that the Coast Guard was going to commence a destaffing program for all Lightstations that remain staffed in BC and Newfoundland Labrador.

On the BC Coast
"first Round...to be completed before the end of the fiscal year" (Kevin Carrigan)
Trial Island
Entrance Island
Cape Mudge
Dryad Pt
"second round"
Green Island
Addenbroke
Carmanah
Pachena Pt
Chrome Island
All light stations are on the block.

Now, I may be no expert but:

TSB Safety Study of VFR Flight into Adverse Weather
The Department of Transport locate automated weather measuring devices in support of VFR operations in the areas of highest risk in mountainous terrain.
TSB-A90-87
<snip>
The Department of Transport examine the policy for the contracting of manned weather observation services with a view to expanding the service in remote locations of highest risk.
TSB-A90-88
<snip>
The Department of Transport promote the upgrading of weather briefing facilities where required, for remotely-located commercial operations, and encourage commercial operators to provide crews with the means of obtaining a weather briefing for all flights.
TSB-A90-89
<snip>
The Department of Transport publicize the availability of Transcribed Weather Services at remote locations.
TSB-A90-90
SATOPs: Weather
The closing of lighthouse stations by the Canadian Coast Guard has reduced the weather information available to pilots flying on the west coast of British Columbia. Lighthouse keepers aren’t accredited aviation weather observers, but the information they provide is essential for west coast VFR pilots since it is the only local weather information available. The Pacific coast is a unique operating environment where the weather conditions change quickly and vary dramatically over short distances due to localized weather phenomena.

Aviation weather reporting was thought to be inadequate even prior to the decommissioning of lighthouses. Weather information is perceived to be geared to IFR aircraft and not appropriate for VFR operations since the information is often not valid within a few miles of the reporting source. VFR pilots on the west coast need to know weather conditions at and below 1000 feet ASL.

Comments were received that weather information from the lighthouse stations, which was issued every three hours, was ignored if it was more than one hour old since pilots are looking for more current observations. Other comments indicated that not all lighthouses were required, only specific ones that are located in areas where there is significant variable weather activity or at other strategic locations.

Marine and aviation weather services appear to be isolated. Better and additional services could be realized if these were amalgamated. Weather information from ships, tugboats, fishing boats and lighthouses should be made available to pilots. Most aircraft are equipped with FM radios and can communicate with fishing boats and other ships.

The operating conditions on the west coast require VFR pilots to push into, through or above fog and cloud. The Task Force was told that if pilots don't operate in these conditions, the companies can't survive because these are typical coastal weather conditions. It has become an acceptable (to industry), though illegal, way of operating. Providing pilots with better weather reporting will enhance their decision making as far as choosing a route to fly or areas to avoid, but it will not stop them from continuing to fly into deteriorating weather conditions. It is important to note that in recent weather-related accidents that have occurred on the west coast and elsewhere, the pilots were flying in weather conditions less than the minimum allowed by regulation.

The British Columbia Air Operators Group is a subcommittee of the British Columbia Aviation Council. NAV CANADA has been involved in discussions with this group in an attempt to resolve the weather service issue, by determining user requirements and meeting those demands. Transport Canada should ascertain the progress of solutions to this problem and determine what effect the loss of weather reporting services has had and will have on aviation safety.

SR 69 - Recommend Transport Canada consult with the British Columbia Air Operators Group and NAV CANADA to determine what is being done to improve the weather reporting services on the west coast of British Columbia. A safety review of the issues would be justified if there is no obvious and timely solution to these problems.
Shouldn't the air industry be objecting to the unmanning of the lighthouses? What has been done to replace this valuable weather service? IIRC, here in BC many air ops still depend on those lightkeepers for true, up to date en route weather information that is not otherwise available ... I can only "assume" it is the same on the east coast.
OPEN LETTER TO CANADIAN CITIZENS FROM LIGHTHOUSE KEEPERS

Once again, government bureaucrats are attempting to remove the services of Lightkeepers from the Canadian people. They are working quickly to implement a plan to de-staff the remaining 27staffed lightstations on the west coast and the remaining 9 on the shores of Newfoundland and Labrador.

The Assistant Commissioner of Coast Guard, by continuing to refer to these stations as ‘automated’, is attempting to lead the public to believe that the stations being de-staffed are automated already and that it is only a matter of removing the Lightkeepers. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Lightkeepers have been key players in public safety for over a century and their efforts continue to be held in high regard by the Marine and Aviation communities on both coasts. This is not romanticism. It reflects reality. The services that the Keepers perform are professional and extensive and there simply is no reliable way, even in this day, to replace them with automated equipment.
Their weather observations have a positive impact in both the prevention of incidents and the success of rescue efforts when incidents occur. They help in the accuracy of forecasting and assist the timely flow of goods and passengers along the waterways of both coasts. There have been numerous attempts to duplicate these observations by a variety of equipment and all have fallen miserably short.

Lightkeepers continue to assist in Search and Rescue, provide sanctuary, act as first aid outposts, relay warnings and distress calls, liaise with RCMP, Fisheries, Pollution Control and other government agencies, and we help to ensure Canada’s sovereignty and security by establishing a strong federal presence on our coastlines. Our work is not limited to this list. We protect and maintain these, your public assets, the gems of your coasts, the Lighthouses.

Our concern is not for our jobs. It is for the continuation of the service that Canadians want, expect, and deserve to have.

Call and write your representatives.

Respectfully,
Steve Bergh – President BC Lightkeepers Local 20232 PSAC
Alice Woods – Vice President
Chatham Pt Lt Stn
Box 187 Campbell River, BC
V9W 5A7
250 203 2421
newdawn@lincsat.com
---------- ADS -----------

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Lighthouses losing keepers

Post by all_ramped_up »

so they're trying to do it again?

they've already gone through a round of de-staffing here on the West Coast. but it hit roadblocks hence why they're still manned stations there.

i have a sneaking suspicion that this won't end up happening for the same reasons it failed last time.

the Coast Guard also closed down almost all of their Maritime Radio Stations in the 90's and remoted most of the sites from Victoria, Prince Rupert and Ucluelet. they shut down Bull Harbour and Alert Bay and the rest were amalgamated with the vessel traffic control centres.

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by The Old Fogducker »

It would indeed be a loss to the aviation community if the lighthouse weather reports were no longer available. The job of a Coast Dog is tough enough already, let alone doing it with less information.

I fear though, that only direct intervention by the Minister could stop this initiative in its tracks. Aviation users are not a segment of the population the Coast Guard is mandated to serve. Therefore, you're up against fighting a budgetary issue from the position of a group without standing that isn't supposed to be using the weather info for flight planing purposes....recall the wx info is unofficial.

Its my take that since we are not "the payers and users" for the lighthouse system, our comments to the Coast Guard will fall upon deaf ears unless you appeal directly to the Minister of Transport.

You should be aware however, the Minister has already been briefed with information showing him this cutback is safe to carry out, while providing an alternate means of service provision which meets some form of published criteria which showed an equivalent level of safety would be maintained.

Frame the content of your letters bearing this in mind so they should be more than some whining from somebody who comes across as a user that wants something for nothing.

Words and phrases such as ....... "perhaps overlooked in an otherwise though report, ...... new information not previously assessed, ........contributes to the successful movement of goods and persons to the economic benefit of the local economy creating jobs in tough economic times," .......etc will be well regarded.

Best wishes in your awareness campaign.

I suggest you watch the following video to be properly briefed on interpersonal communications with the senior administration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSkWkAXdSyI

The Old Fogducker

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Oh! And just FYI, it's not the Minister of Transport in charge of Coast Guard. Hasn't been for a number of years now... Department of Fisheries and Oceans has the mandate of running Coast Guard.

My Father used to be one of the Superintendents at Pac Region HQ for the Coast Guard. lol

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by The Old Fogducker »

Thanks for the org chart update Ramped.

Still, I think our letters should go to the Transport guy.

DFO is run by a bunch of chowder heads that wouldn't give an aviation guy the sweat off his left .....

OFD

Sasquash
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Sasquash »

Let see if I get this right:

1. Minister orders destaffing of light houses, reduces services.
2. Responsibility shift to the users.
3. Ships must avoid light house, land.
4. Ship has accident.
5. Ship owners responsible.
6. Minister sanctions ship owner for obvious negligence.
7. Government not liable due to existing directive stating light houses should be destaffed.

Good God! SMS for boats!

Yep, I am cynical sometimes…

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

The Old Fogducker wrote:Thanks for the org chart update Ramped.

Still, I think our letters should go to the Transport guy.

DFO is run by a bunch of chowder heads that wouldn't give an aviation guy the sweat off his left .....

OFD
haha pretty much!

Sasquash: If you can't avoid a rock with a big white beacon on it, then they ought not be skippering a vessel imo. All comes down to charts too. Besides, if you want to get technical, all the Lightkeepers are there for is changing lightbulbs. Most of the time they have an automated WX station. well, recently, back in the day when my folks were the junior keepers in Langara they'd do it all by hand.

it'sme
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by it'sme »

I can only "assume" it is the same on the east coast.

Used to use many a lighthouse report as part of the "overall picture" on the east coast (at least the part not including NL) when conducting some flight ops but alas they disappeared a long, long time ago. I stand to be corrected but I seem to recall the last manned lighthouse disappearing in the very early '90's. Certainly the ability to get those reports disappeared back then.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

According to the release, there are still some manned lighthouses on the East Coast too ...

With respect to the weather reports, I was recently told:
"The sad thing is we were trained and some still are trained in aviation weather reporting and were sending SA's until Dec. 2001.
We were told to stop for liability reasons, what kind of sense is that?
6 tenths of TCU /CB embedded at 2000 ft is one heck of a lot safer than 20 brkn"

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Here is the letter I composed to Minister Baird.
To the Honourable Mr. John Baird
Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities

Dear Mr. Baird,

It has recently been brought to my attention that the Canadian Coast Guard intends to finalize automation of lighthouses on the east and west coasts of Canada, bringing to an end a rich history of invaluable service provided by live Lightkeepers. The Open Letter to All Canadians from Lighthouse Keepers can be read here: http://www.vivelecanada.ca/article/2359 ... travellers.

As an advocate for the safety of workers transported by air, this decision brings me great distress. As far back as 1990, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada recommended improved, manned, weather services in remote locations in their Report of a Safety Study of VFR Flight into Adverse Weather (Report No. 90-SP002: http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repor ... ies/90sp00...) The importance of such services was further reiterated in Transport Canada's 1998 Safety of Air Taxi Operations Task Force Report (see SATOPS: Weather at http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/syste ... mmentary/w...

The following is an excerpt.

"The closing of lighthouse stations by the Canadian Coast Guard has reduced the weather information available to pilots flying on the west coast of British Columbia. Lighthouse keepers aren't accredited aviation weather observers, but the information they provide is essential for west coast VFR pilots since it is the only local weather information available. The Pacific coast is a unique operating environment where the weather conditions change quickly and vary dramatically over short distances due to localized weather phenomena.

"Aviation weather reporting was thought to be inadequate even prior to the decommissioning of lighthouses. Weather information is perceived to be geared to IFR aircraft and not appropriate for VFR operations since the information is often not valid within a few miles of the reporting source. VFR pilots on the west coast need to know weather conditions at and below 1000 feet ASL."

Despite these findings and recommendations, I am told that in 2001, the weather service provided by the remaining manned lighthouses was reduced.

As adequate weather services remain a huge problem for VFR aviators, especially in the coastal regions and as evidenced by several fatal crashes here in BC in recent years, I respectfully request that the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Mr. John Baird, review this decision and request that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans rescind its plans to unman the remaining lighthouses. It is my sincere hope that the information I have provided herein has somehow been overlooked and that the safety of both workers and the public travelling in coastal waters will not be further diminished.

Respectfully,

Kirsten Stevens
Campbell River, BC
A number of west coast float operators have also followed suit and written comparative letters to the Minister. I encourage others to do the same.

As I'm not very familiar with East Coast operators who may also be affected by lighthouse destaffing, I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me hints on which operators I should contact, either here in the thread, by PM or email.

Clearwater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Clearwater »

Last edited by Clearwater on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Every lighthouse is not manned. In fact, very few are - only nine left here in BC, and they were deemed critical the last time anyone had this brilliant destaffing idea. Nothing has changed. These lighthouses aren't exactly near busy airports.

Clearwater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Clearwater »

Last edited by Clearwater on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Do you fly floats here on the west coast Clearwater?

I'll refer you to this: Special Senate Committee on Transportation Safety (1996) ... and ask again, has that much changed?

Clearwater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Clearwater »

Last edited by Clearwater on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Well Clearwater, have a read of this recent letter to the Minister from a float operator here on the wet coast ... I should think Pacific Coastal would know if the manned lighthouses are invaluable or not.

Pacific Coastal on Lighthouse Destaffing

Clearwater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Clearwater »

Edited.

Last edited by sky's the limit on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: By request of user
MAXTRQ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MAXTRQ »

I'm curious what clearwater had to say, maybe he/she could try again in language that doesn't get edited.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Clearwater left the conversation in frustration. Perhaps my last post was taken as argumentative, rather than as trying to show that it was not my own inexpert opinion I was relying on. I have given my apologies.

The post was edited at his/her own request, and not due to language.

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

A manned light house was far more helpful than a AWOS for sea plane pilots checking weather on the west coast...period.

And yes I have flown sea planes on the west coast and also I have done some flying into and out of a few busy airports that use AWOS.

I don't know if that is a professional opinion but it is an opinion based on having done a bit of flying.

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.

Return to “General Comments”