CBC's Fifth Estate to explore air safety - Sept. 25th

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Re: CBC's Fifth Estate to explore air safety - Sept. 25th

Post by . ._ »

I just watched the report.

Thanks for the link!

And I'm REALLY surprised Cat Driver hasn't chimed in here. He's probably out having fun and not worrying about this messy aviation stuff.

So I'll bring it up.

Isn't it funny that Merlin stepped down just before this came out? Hmm.

I'm just sayin'.

-istp :smt017
---------- ADS -----------

Chuck Ellsworth
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Chuck Ellsworth »

And I'm REALLY surprised Cat Driver hasn't chimed in here. He's probably out having fun and not worrying about this messy aviation stuff.
Yup, I'm out here in Newfoundland sight seeing in a rental car, but will be leaving for home on Tuesday. :mrgreen:

I have some thoughts on this which I shall share with the gang in a few days.

Haven't seen the interviews yet because I'm on a Telus wireless internet card and the down load would be slow.

Just one comment though before I go to bed.
The number of "unsafe operations" that TC shut down even in the good old day is far less that the ones shut down because they cann't keep the paper work done.
There were never any " Good old days " as far as TC shutting down bad operators in the over fifty years I was in the industry.

However the good days will only come to fruition when the pilots and engineers refuse to cut corners and refuse to work for the outlaw companies.

It is a sort of SMS enforced by people who want to do it right by their actions and that does not require any paper work to make it work because the paper work is already done in the Aernautics Act and the CAR's. :mrgreen:

The most difficult thing about flying is knowing when to say no.

After over a half a century of flying I can not remember even one trip that I refused to do that resulted in someone getting killed because of my decision not to fly.
tesox2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tesox2 »

Good work Kirsten, I commend your bravery with this endeavor. I dont think the documentary was very well done, only because it opened a massive can of worms in a short amount of time...as a viewer I was confused as to what the shows focus was and what the average traveller could do to follow up the story. There were a lot of open ended ideas without providing the viewer with some form of recourse....this is huge, the stories were huge, but what now? I really hope that TC is held accountable...

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Thanks to mulligan and tesox2 for your appreciation.

I must say, some of the comments and questions indicate that some of you still think I had any control or affect on the Fifth's decisions on how or what to air.

They spent two whole days with me and countless hours of pre and post interview telephone calls. I had no idea what they would use, and what they would not. I had little idea of the other stories they were telling, or how they would be told.

If I had had my way, and looking at all my previous posts you can verify my feelings, I would have had far more focus on the air taxi side of things. But if they had started by focusing there, would the general public have cared?

We, Hugh and I, have encouraged them to do follow up. To tell the rest of the story - to get into the real "meat" of things. I do not know if they will, but I remain hopeful. If they do, I should think that the research would be deeper - including Access to Information requests.

That said, I have talked to many of my friends and neighbours who watched the show. None of them with any aviation experience, and most with only a basic knowledge of my own case. Their response has been consistent. They understood that Transport is shifting resposibility for oversight to industry, and they are unanimously horrified.

Keep the show going. Tell your non-aviation friends. Talk to them about it. Almost everyone here seems to agree that TC is taking a dangerous approach. All of you can make a difference in bringing about positive change. Be active, in whatever small or large way you can. Throwing your hands in the air and saying "que sera sera" isn't going to do it.

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

As far as I'm concerned they definitely missed the boat by blending security and safety into one show; thereby ensuring that neither issue received adequate coverage.

Of the interviewees, you Kirsten were the only that I remember coming out of it with your credibility intact and I applaud your efforts on your husband's, and everyone else's behalf.

As far as the two from TC go; I'm afraid they come across as one's a coward, the other's a moron. I'm afraid I have little use for someone who doesn't have the courage of his convictions; ie threatening to have Hanna Gartner and the finder of his flash card charged rather than cooperate and help the investigation along, not that it would hold up, since they have him on tape admitting he'd lost it. It's not as though he'd be the first person who'd had his identity concealed by a news program in order to protect him. As for Garito, as someone else said; getting your supervisor's permission to import banned weapons doesn't make it legal, it does however, make you an idiot if you do it.

It should come as no surprise that our illustrious Transport Minister managed to say absolutely nothing for five minutes when they interviewed him; he is a politician after all. Kenny was a disappointment with how little use he was but he's only a senator, and they're not even a good hockey team, let alone any use as public servants. :roll:

loopy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by loopy »

The show may have lacked a clear focus, but puts some of these concerns in the public focus. Widow, I appreciate your tenacity and am gratefull for your efforts.

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

. . wrote:

The number of "unsafe operations" that TC shut down even in the good old day is far less that the ones shut down because they cann't keep the paper work done.
There were never any " Good old days " as far as TC shutting down bad operators in the over fifty years I was in the industry.

However the good days will only come to fruition when the pilots and engineers refuse to cut corners and refuse to work for the outlaw companies.

It is a sort of SMS enforced by people who want to do it right by their actions and that does not require any paper work to make it work because the paper work is already done in the Aernautics Act and the CAR's. :mrgreen:
., thought I said that. But I went back and edited for a bit of clarity.

SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SYT_YYZ »

Widow,
Now that I am done changing some diapers (LOL)..
I think you are amazing. I wonder if there is anyway that you can contact someone and get a mini series of sorts with CBC? A few episodes, each specifically geared to a matter of aviation safety. I think I heard someone mention that discovery is doing a sort of 'aviation' version of ice road truckers? Maybe it will highlight some of the dangers involved? I hope so.

Anyways, good job,

SYT

P.s. nice glasses!

Lost Cessna Pilot: "Big airport with a little Cessna 150 overhead, please identify yourself!"

Post by Widow »

SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SYT_YYZ »

luckyboy wrote:
SYT_YYZ wrote:I wonder if there is anyway that you can contact someone and get a mini series of sorts with CBC? A few episodes, each specifically geared to a matter of aviation safety.
One of the few persons who has the means, skills, resources, contacts and ability to pull something like this is Ted Rankine.
wait a tick..
who is ted rankine?

Lost Cessna Pilot: "Big airport with a little Cessna 150 overhead, please identify yourself!"

Post by SYT_YYZ »

As weird as this may sound,
I think it is possible I know this person.

Post by SYT_YYZ »

luckyboy wrote:
SYT_YYZ wrote:wait a tick..
who is ted rankine?
Ted Rankine owns Ted Rankine Productions; he has produced "Power Boat Television" for several years, and being a pilot himself, has also dabbled in aviation safety by producing - and starred in - the 26 clips found at http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/syste ... f/menu.htm
My mom is friends with this person. I believe they used to work in the same office. If there was something I could do let me know. (Though he may already know kristen himself).

Post by canwhitewolf »

I believe its being aired again on cbc tonight ( tues)

the hegelian dialectic. present a problem see reaction offer solution

think about it
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

... on CBC Newsworld at 10pm.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

luckyboy wrote:It's up to the safety advocates to follow-up on the lead now,
As Dave Rutherford said during a recent radio interview, "Aren't we all air safety advocates?"

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

That report burns me up inside :x :x :x :x :x .
Tax dollars at work......Yeah right

Thats all I can say.

Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

. . wrote:

I couldn't agree more.

The onus is on us, the worker bees, to keep the ship going straight, not to sit and wait for Transport Canada to tell us to "Safen Up!". We've had 100 years to figure out how not to run airplanes into solid objects; how much more babysitting from Transport do we need? Yes, the small shady operators are always going to be there to pressure the impressionable into unsafe conditions. They've been there without SMS and they'll be there WITH SMS. Recall the pre-SMS world. Was TC out there shutting down every shifty operator? The worst ones thrived and flew under the radar until it bit them, same scenario will hold true with SMS. Guess whose turn it is to step up and put a stop to it? OURS. I refused unsafe conditions at 500 hours, and the guy behind me needs to keep that trend going, it's her/his job as a PROFESSIONAL. REFUSE THE WORK.

The 5th Estate, like always, overlooked the entire story in efforts to portray a FOX-type, scare you into-watching-more, tv program. Constant shots of AC and Westjet followed by "People are going to die". There were some excellent facts given there and it could have served as an excellent educator for the general public as to the true situation of our ailing industry. However, in my opinion, and in the opinion of the less aviation-savvy audience that I viewed this program with, it was lost to pure media sensationalism.

I quite enjoyed the reference to aircraft being operated by inexperienced pilots in Canada. It took me 10 years of earned stick and rudder, hard knock education before I got to the 705 world. My same experience would have landed me an airline slot in the US 5-6 years earlier, and even less with the right paperwork (or purchasing power) in the EU. Can someone tell of all these unemployed 500 hour wonders where the inexperienced pilot work is that so plagues our industry? I always thought it involved a broom of some sort.

highlander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by highlander »

I was rather disappointed with the whole story.

For one thing: the story seemed disjointed- One minute we're talking about security screening and the next about crash investigations. Yes, they all fall under TC but I think the story needed a bit more structure for the non-aviation types. I think we had 2 stories here not one.

1) Nothing was mentioned about CATSA and its role in airport security screening. Even if it falls under TC there was little or no mention of it.

2) The story about the Transat passenger/ airport employee taking a bag through without screening was weak and lacked any proof or substance to it.

3) SMS was very briefly mentioned but even the term (to the best of my knowledge) was never brought forward with a simple explanation (if there is such thing)

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

For everyone who thought the Fifth Estate didn't do enough, please see this thread: The Walrus: Fly at your own risk

ywgflyboy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ywgflyboy »

Makes me sick.... Too bad nothing will happen until a plane blows up with government ministers on it.

Return to “General Comments”