CBC's Fifth Estate to explore air safety - Sept. 25th

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

CBC's Fifth Estate to explore air safety - Sept. 25th

Post by Widow »

A previous thread about this was accidently deleted after it was removed for editing due to unacceptable personal attacks. You are all reminded that personal attacks ARE NOT permitted, and may result in, at least, a warning or temporary ban. If you have issue with this, or questions, please feel free to PM me, or any other mod.

That said, we don't want anyone to miss the program, so here is the promo again:
In its many years of bringing investigative reports to Canadians, the Fifth Estate has had its share of alarming stories. This season debuts with startling and disturbing allegations about the people we depend on to ensure our safety when we fly. The story begins with an urgent e-mail to the Fifth Estate.

The writer says she has “come across interesting, internal information from Transport Canada.” The sender: a journalism student who has found a USB key/computer memory stick in a coffee shop. The student’s discovery contains interesting information indeed. There are warnings from a security inspector at Canada’s biggest airport alleging public safety is being compromised because security and safety regulations are being circumvented in favour of profit and convenience.

In Riding on Risk, airing Friday, Sept. 25, at 9 p.m. (9:30 NT), on CBC-TV, reporter Hana Gartner talks to whistle blowers who have risked their livelihoods to try to change a system that they believe is putting passengers and airline employees in grave and needless danger—at the airports and in the air. We’ll also meet Kirsten Stevens of British Columbia, a woman whose logger husband boarded a routine flight one day, promising to be home in time for dinner with her and their three children. But, the small floatplane carrying him crashed and all aboard were killed. Stevens assumed Transport Canada would investigate. She was shocked when she realized they had closed their file on the crash. She did her own meticulous investigation and pinpointed a mechanical failure that may have led to her husband’s death. Since then, she has become a crusader, and a magnet, for whistle blowers inside the industry desperate to share their concerns about aviation security and safety.

Finally, the Fifth Estate takes the investigation to federal Minister of Transport, John Baird. Hana Gartner gives the Minister the opportunity to respond to the allegations and asks the question that should be on the minds of anyone in Canada who flies: should industry, concerned about saving money and cutting corners, be the same people to worry about safety?

Acting executive producer of the Fifth Estate is Sally Reardon. CBC Newsworld rebroadcasts the Fifth Estate on Sundays, at 7 p.m. ET, and Tuesdays, at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

For more information on the Fifth Estate, visit their website at http://www.cbc.ca/fifth.
http://www.channelcanada.com/Article3525.html
---------- ADS -----------

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: CBC's Fifth Estate to explore air safety - Sept. 25th

Post by Brown Bear »

Tube Driver wrote: EDITED Heavy handed agenda.
I think it was a little deeper than that.
On topic for a moment.
They will not be talking about REAL safety issues, like single engine IFR skeds and medevac flights in Canada. How a Provincial government can spend many millions of tax dollars on(foreign made) single engine aircraft to be used for just this purpose?? Or circling approaches at night. More whining by malcontents, would be my guess.
(Hope this isn't too strong)
:bear: :bear:

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Brown Bear wrote:
Tube Driver wrote:EDITED Heavy handed agenda.
I think it was a little deeper than that.
As you well know, Brown Bear.

Tube Driver,

A) I was not the mod who removed the thread for edit and then lost it.

B) I did not edit the thread after personal attacks on me even though I am mandated to do so by the moderator guidelines.

C) Someone else was also slammed in the thread, and it was a complaint about that which initiated the thread removal.

Now, PLEASE, keep the thread on topic, with no personal attacks.

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

Could someone with a better memory than me bump this thread back to the top on Friday? So I don't miss it...thanks in advance.

TS

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Also, after it airs, could someone throw a link in if possible? I might not get to watch it.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

For what it's worth, I moved the thread to remove the various and sundry personal slurs. As I was working on it, I realized I had left a copy up in the General section at the same time. Eliminating that removed the thread from existence. Sorry.

Separating the wheat from the chaff was easy though. Brown Bear, PetPad,Tuk U... you three might wanna think about re-reading posting guidlines.

JC

petpad
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by petpad »

Wow, the Fifth Estate, huh ... :smt040

jeta1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jeta1 »

comment removed - time expired

Last edited by jeta1 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

jeta1 wrote:+1 Pet :lol:

my thread was "lost"? How convenient...

jc posted his explanation/apology. S^*t happens.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

jeta1 wrote:Anyway, the show on Friday rides the risk of being propaganda and "skirting" the real issues facing aviation safety in Canada.
I guess that depends on what you consider the "real issues facing aviation safety in Canada" to be, doesn't it? Maybe TC's regulation of SEIFR, medevacs, etc, are symptoms of a larger problem ...

Brown Bear
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brown Bear »

Widow wrote:
jeta1 wrote:Anyway, the show on Friday rides the risk of being propaganda and "skirting" the real issues facing aviation safety in Canada.
I guess that depends on what you consider the "real issues facing aviation safety in Canada" to be, doesn't it? Maybe TC's regulation of SEIFR, medevacs, etc, are symptoms of a larger problem ...
Love to know what the "larger problem" could be? Paying passengers riding around in bad weather on single engine airplanes, night circling approaches, tax payer funded SEIFR medevac operations are very direct threats to safety in the skies over Canada. The inefficiency of accident investigations etc. are not. I'd like to see problems that could kill folks right now, being discussed. And they won't be. Subjects like the age of certain aircraft will be beaten to death, because the public thinks new airplanes=safe airplanes. Again, the public will get what it's willing to pay for. And, the public is cheap :bear: :bear: .

The best "Brown Bear" of them all!
Tuk U
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuk U »

jeta1 wrote:+1 Pet :lol:

my thread was "lost"? How convenient...

Anyway, the show on Friday rides the risk of being propaganda and "skirting" the real issues facing aviation safety in Canada.

yeah "SKIRTING" too funny, how witty of you jet... good one!

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Brown Bear
How a Provincial government can spend many millions of tax dollars on(foreign made) single engine aircraft to be used for just this purpose??
The way that deal works is the Provincial Gumitup is now at arms length as far as liability goes. Ain't it a great world. Not even the Mafia gets a deal like that. :roll:

The system that evolved after the initial privatization in the 1990s became a logistic nightmare for the gumitup. Or to put it another way, it was not what they envisioned when they first privitatised. Funny how that works eh?

taylor498
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by taylor498 »

Kirsten,

It must be exciting to see some big media exposure to some of the important safety issues you have fought for over the years. As some here have accused, it may not touch on all the issues, but you gotta start somewhere, right? :)
Widow wrote:I guess that depends on what you consider the "real issues facing aviation safety in Canada" to be, doesn't it? Maybe TC's regulation of SEIFR, medevacs, etc, are symptoms of a larger problem ...
I agree with you, in that to a certain extent the organizational and oversight problems that face TC probably need to be fixed prior to attempting to tackle other subordinate issues, that we all know have been beaten to death here on these forums.

I'll be watching intently on Friday night.

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by bmc »

I know one of the TC whistleblowers. Unfortunately, I'm out of country and won't be able to see it. :(

bmc
flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

I`ll be watching with great interest tonight Kirsten!
Cheers

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

The story about the memory stick sounds a little fishy.

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

Troubleshot wrote:Could someone with a better memory than me bump this thread back to the top on Friday? So I don't miss it...thanks in advance.

TS
BUMP!

Return to “General Comments”