Don't be a whore (help me respond to an email)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Don't be a whore (help me respond to an email)

Post by Invertago » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:58 am

definenormal wrote:Supply and demand pretty much covers it.....the harsh reality I'm afraid. We pilots get the industry we deserve.

(I digress, but don't 'whores' get renumerated for their services? Hell! I've come across some enthusiastic amatures that still managed to cost me a small fortune.......)

But if you've got something they want, they'll pay ya for it. I charge $1000/hour... too bad its only ever a 2 minute work day.
---------- ADS -----------

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

GilletteNorth
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by GilletteNorth » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:20 am

Invertago: I already considered that and...
If he can afford a CPL MIFR, and afford to work for free, he likely isn't coming from the lower $ income levels. The only people who can afford the training and work for free have $ behind them no matter which country you come from. Also, typically the richest people come from the poorest countries, (got rich off the backs of the poor, land of extremes, no middle class)
The Prof: To return to the topic of the thread, the guy just wants to fly. Understand where his motifs are coming from, and act accordingly.
Are you sure those ARE his motives? He's from Burma... Canada is a great country to get citizenship in... contrary to the beliefs of several Av Canadians.

Having a standard that pilots lose their licence after making a mistake despite doing no harm to aircraft or passengers means soon you needn't worry about a pilot surplus or pilots offering to fly for free. Where do you get your experience from?

C-GGGQ
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C-GGGQ » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:09 pm

Just got to say a few things. First off if he's from Burma he couldn't get a job here. Were you planning on sponsoring him in? Second ever think that this is just another "nigerian prince" I would have chocked it up as fake and deleted it with the rest of the junk.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Is there any socially acceptable means for a newly minted PPL to volunteer?

I don't want to steal any jobs, I just want to see different types of flying and get into a different bird every now and again, but since I do not see myself switching careers to actually go and be a pilot for hire, my horizon for flying is kind of narrow.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!

pika
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pika » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Canada is a great country to get citizenship in... contrary to the beliefs of several Av Canadians.
Now that Harper has closed the government for an extended holiday do you still feel the same?

You can interpret that however you would like.

Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:25 am

niss wrote:Is there any socially acceptable means for a newly minted PPL to volunteer?

I don't want to steal any jobs, I just want to see different types of flying and get into a different bird every now and again, but since I do not see myself switching careers to actually go and be a pilot for hire, my horizon for flying is kind of narrow.
Yes, CASARA.

Although you likely won't get to fly right away. Most units want their pilot members to first train as navigators. Plus you'll probably need a minimum number of hours to get on their insurance.

Cheers,
Brew

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:47 am

Brewguy wrote:
niss wrote:Is there any socially acceptable means for a newly minted PPL to volunteer?

Yes, CASARA.

Although you likely won't get to fly right away. Most units want their pilot members to first train as navigators. Plus you'll probably need a minimum number of hours to get on their insurance.
None near by me unfortunately.

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:30 am

The Prof wrote:I guess I could work at McDonalds instead, while I patiently wait for the economy to pick up?
Yeah and while you're at it work for free again...

People like you make me wanna puke.

Timing is everything.

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Just another canuck wrote:Am I the only one who thinks you should give the poor guy a break and be honest with him... perhaps give him some much needed advice??

He is, after all, from Myanmar and is simply looking to break into an industry that he is obviously passionate about.

Send me his email address and I'll help him out if all you're going to do is shoot him down. He doesn't deserve that.
Just as a slight digression. They will not let Pilots Fly in the Philippines unless they are Philippine Citizens. It is almost impossible to become a Philippine Citizen. Very definite double standard.

But, they will hire a Filipino just out of school, train him to fly and make him F.O.. No experience at all. Very poor safety record...go figure. The Chief Instructor with Philippine Airlines was hired that way.

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:31 pm

When I was with CASARA it was no problem being the pilot if it was your plane. They even paid for the fuel for the exercises. The navigator is the hardest job.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:09 pm

When I first started getting my license CASRA was something I really wanted to do but if memory serves the closes unit was Niagara 3 hours away.

Any other ideas?

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:23 pm

In Alberta there is Make a Wish foundation. I don't know if it is in Ontario, but you can take kids for rides that have terminal illnesses ect. That was what I was told anyway. I never contacted them as my plane is a single seater.

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:59 pm

Hey Niss,

There is the Young Eagles program through the EAA. You take people for rides in your airplane to introduce them to flight in small aircraft. There must be an EAA/RAA chapter in your area.

GilletteNorth
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by GilletteNorth » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:32 am

My Quote:
Canada is a great country to get citizenship in... contrary to the beliefs of several Av Canadians.
Pika's Quote: Now that Harper has closed the government for an extended holiday do you still feel the same?

Past governments have prorogated before because it helped in the timing of elections. It's part of our history. Harper is also getting his bad press for doing it just the same as previous governments have.

So yes, I still feel the same. It's my country and I love it.

Having a standard that pilots lose their licence after making a mistake despite doing no harm to aircraft or passengers means soon you needn't worry about a pilot surplus or pilots offering to fly for free. Where do you get your experience from?

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:41 am

GilletteNorth wrote:
My Quote:
Pika's Quote: Now that Harper has closed the government for an extended holiday do you still feel the same?

Past governments have prorogated before because it helped in the timing of elections. It's part of our history. Harper is also getting his bad press for doing it just the same as previous governments have.

So yes, I still feel the same. It's my country and I love it.
I agree, Harper shouldn't be a whore.

Return to “General Comments”