Beech C-45 wreck/remains near Upsala

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RuudLeeuw
Rank 2
Rank 2

Beech C-45 wreck/remains near Upsala

Post by RuudLeeuw »

Hello,
some new developments regarding this wreck, on my
webpage dedicated Abandoned Plane Wrecks of the North
http://www.ruudleeuw.com/search116.htm
Lorne Brett sent me some 1997 pics, when it was more recognizable

Bob Permerter, aithor of the Beech 18 book, reacted:
"Is it possible that someone (USAF?) used the orange paint after the crash to improve visibility or mark it as found? The reason I ask is that the orange paint seems to be in more places than I've seen it on other C-45s for high-viz.
I believe that the aircraft is a C-45G/H built 1951-55. The clues are the increased area leading edge inboard of the engine eliminating the WWII production C-45Fs. There are too many C-45G/Hs for which I don't have a fate, to make any guesses. Just to confuse matters, is it possible that it was a surplus USAF C-45G/H that crashed in the 1960's and the elements wore off the orange civil paint to expose the USAF markings which were painted over instead of removed?
Hopefully some more information will come to light.
Thanks Ruud for your always thought provoking contributions & for hosting your website where these questions can be raised"
Bob Parmerter

What hasn't been adressed, and just occurred to me, is the wreckage has 'USAF' titles but met its doom on Canadian soil. Perhaps a delivery flight from USAF surplus to new owner in Canada?

Anyway, we hope more details come to light at some point!

cheers
Ruud
---------- ADS -----------

imarai
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Beech C-45 wreck/remains near Upsala

Post by imarai »

I can't yield any history on the C-45 in question, although I have heard from a retired RCAF Searchmaster that in the past, many known wrecks were painted with a large orange X to reduce re-reporting of a known downed aircraft. Best of luck on your findings.

RuudLeeuw
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Beech C-45 wreck/remains near Upsala

Post by RuudLeeuw »

Thanks for that!

Return to “General Comments”