Low timers building cheap float time

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Low timers building cheap float time

Post by Bede »

When I was starting out I really wanted to fly floats. However, I found it really difficult to get float time for cheap. So instead I got an instructor rating (bad move) and instructing for a little while. What would people think of renting block time in a small amateur built (not ultralight) aircraft. Price would end up being about $90 per hour solo. This way someone could get their 50 or 100 on floats for much less than an instructor rating, but actually have a shot at a half decent job. Anyone have any feedback/suggestions? Anyone interested? Would any CP's object to hiring someone having, let's say 50 or 100 hrs on a super cub sized aircraft, and a 185 checkout?
---------- ADS -----------

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

There are a few C-150 (with 150HP engines ? I heard...) on floats out there. They are usually cheap. You might even consider converting one. They often take an old C-150 with manual flaps... could be a good time builder.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Benwa:

Several years ago I operated a Cessna 150 on Edo 1600 floats with a Lycoming 0320 / 150 Hp. engine and a Horton STOL kit, as a trainer.

It has not bad take off and climb performance but really lacks in useful load and is very lacking in fuel range.

And the cost to convert one is very expensive.

Maybe a J3 Cub or a Champ on floats would be a better choice.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I'd be looking at something like a Stits Skycoupe or Christavia. Usually cheap to come by and cheap to operate. I figured on about $90/hour

onceacop
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by onceacop »

Though expensive, purchasing a float a/c and flying the crap out of it seems like a good alternative. I purchased a full electrics 90 horse 7CCM Champ with two other guys 18 mos. ago for 30k US dollars. It had skis, PK1500 floats and was in decent shape with a 400 hour engine. The plane was wrecked in winter before I could fly it on floats.

We replaced the a/c after the insurance company paid off and found an even better non electric C90 Champ on Edo 1400's but the guy who crashed the plane dropped out. (18000 TT retired Whale Captain). That left two of us.

I flew 112 hours on floats last summer with trips from the states to Pickle Lk, Savant, Red Lk, Sioux Lookout, and puddles in between. I will try to fly that much or more this year. After aquiring 250 float hours with some of that being 180 or 206 time in friends a/c I will sell off my interest in the Champ. Hopefully I will be marketable for job consideration then with 1000 TT tailwheel and 250 float.

I am aircraft poor but like the idea of saving money using automotive gas at $1.65 a gallon and building up some equity I hope.

Last summer a Champ on 1320's with a C85 sold for 22k US in Kenora. My friend missed out to a local feller.

Athabascan Quote: "Know one knows the ways of the wind or the Caribou".

Return to “General Comments”