Looking for Transport Canada Civil Aviation Inspectors

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Looking for Transport Canada Civil Aviation Inspectors

Post by Panama Jack »

I am looking to contact any Civil Aviation Inspector who would be willing to have a helpful and constructive (and confidential) discussion with me via PM and e-mail on what it is like to work for Transport Canada from a career-change standpoint.

The regular peanut-gallery critics: please feel free to take a break during this Christmas and New Year's holiday. :roll:
---------- ADS -----------

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Looking for Transport Canada Civil Aviation Inspectors

Post by A Regulator »

Pm me

Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Conquest Driver »

The regular peanut-gallery critics: please feel free to take a break during this Christmas and New Year's holiday.
As a certified member of said gallery, I have some hesitation to comment; but what the heck.

You may want to check into the security clearance requirements. As I understand them, they're quite severe (considerably more than a standard red pass). As I recall you've been overseas for a while.

So in my opinion it isn't a confirmed job until they tell you're you're hired, any appeal period has expired, and until your final security clearance had been approved.

Caveat Emptor

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

A very helpful point Conquest Driver. You would be correct as the position advertises that the candidate must be able to obtain a secret security clearance. Thank you!

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I heard (second hand) that all TC inspector position hiring is on hold due to a departmental budget review. I tend to believe this as the Conservative government is on record that they want to shink the civil service. Anybody got any first hand scoop, as I have also been considering a career change. A pm would be greatly appreciated, particularly as to the kinds/type of experience they are looking for.

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

The Big Money is in Writing SMS Wallpaper

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Inspectors will become SMS documentation reviewers -- all boxes ticked is a pass.

Go where the real money is.
:smt040

bezerker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bezerker »

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on
Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

Its a good gig, well paid, but you can't be friends with Cat Driver anymore after you take this job... :mrgreen:

Timing is everything.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Sure you can, I have lots of friends who are / were T.C.

T.C. is no different than any other large bureaucracy they all have the good the bad and the truly bad M.F. ers.

It is the truly bad ones I have issues with. :mrgreen:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
brownbear
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brownbear »

you want to be an inspector? I suggest being a corporate auditor. It's what TC used to do. Audit companies who your company wants to use. Either freelance or for an auditing company. Probably pays better than civil service and comes with less BS.

Cheers

Don't be disgruntled....move on!
TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

I have been told that the new Assistant Deputy Minister has said that we will need to fill all vacant Inspector positions before (If I remember correctly) July 2010.

Again, I am going from memory from a rather long speach that I has to attend... the public pressures due to the recent SMS issues in the press have made certain policy makers stand up and notice. There has been a rather sweeping house cleaning in upper management in Ottawa, and most of the Inspectorate (including myself) believe it is for the better.

Anyways -- if you want to get on with TC, now is about the best time you could ask for.

Do not let the security clearance be an issue -- do the competition, and see what happens. Take a chance.

It can be a frustrating, irritating job... takes a bunch of time to figure out how to do it right, but is... okay. And... in my little part of the world, I think I make a small difference. At least I like to think so.

-Guy

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

It can be a frustrating, irritating job... takes a bunch of time to figure out how to do it right, but is... okay. And... in my little part of the world, I think I make a small difference. At least I like to think so.
That sums it up pretty well. If you go in thinking you can make wholesale changes ... you won't. But you can make a small difference in your own area of responsibility ... and I think it all adds up. You can also continually argue for sanity and reason, which helps slow the tide when someone in HQ gets a really foolish idea. That was my approach anyhow, and I had more than a few people thank me for it. Given the Division I was in, I think it helped.

Prairie Chicken
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Seems like they're almost always hiring.

https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ ... psrsMode=1

-istp

jeta1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jeta1 »

:|

Last edited by jeta1 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeta1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jeta1 »

:|

Last edited by jeta1 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

Pilot inspectors are only referred as "civil aviation inspectors" - or CAI's.
AME inspectors need to be re-designated as such and recognized accordingly.
It won't happen. Technical inspectors (AMEs) are not allowed to use the term civil aviation inspector, or CAI. About 14 years ago TC tried to adopt the term civil aviation inspector to refer to all inspectors. The Canadian Federal Pilots Assn. (CFPA) fought them & won as they had legal rights to the terminology. So TC came out with the new term 'Civil Aviation Safety Inspector', or CASI, to refer to all inspectors.

Prairie Chicken
Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

TC Guy

Thanks for the info. It sure helps to hear from someone who has something constructive to say, rather than than just from the usual posters who immediatly go into "auto-rant" as soon as somebody says "TC".

TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TC Guy »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:TC Guy

Thanks for the info. It sure helps to hear from someone who has something constructive to say, rather than than just from the usual posters who immediatly go into "auto-rant" as soon as somebody says "TC".
Thanks, BPF - part of the reason I stopped posting here is that I became rather tired of that.

Anyways, I was going through my TC e-mail today, and someone forwarded me a job posting in the Pacific Region for any of you west-coasters. It closes on January 8, so if you are interested, don't delay!

Link:
https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ ... psrsMode=1

Enjoy!

-Guy

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

Conquest Driver wrote:
The regular peanut-gallery critics: please feel free to take a break during this Christmas and New Year's holiday.
As a certified member of said gallery, I have some hesitation to comment; but what the heck.

You may want to check into the security clearance requirements. As I understand them, they're quite severe (considerably more than a standard red pass). As I recall you've been overseas for a while.

So in my opinion it isn't a confirmed job until they tell you're you're hired, any appeal period has expired, and until your final security clearance had been approved.

Caveat Emptor
Same clearance a controller has, but we still are a threat to the cockpit! :roll:

Cranium
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cranium »

Do they only look for pilots anymore? It seems that if you're talking to Transport on the dock, he's generally a pilot who can find more things "wrong" than the most nervous tourist. An AME would (hopefully) know that "It's an Otter - it's normal to have a bit of oil on the belly."
I don't want to bitch too much, but it would be nice if the guy who has the potential to ground an aircraft has the basic knowledge of what he's talking about.

Return to “General Comments”