Education besides Flying

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Sqwak_Ident
Rank 1
Rank 1

Education besides Flying

Post by Sqwak_Ident »

Hi everyone Happy New Year. I need your opinion. I have always been thinking about obtaining some sort of a degree or a certificate besides my flying license, I don't really know what would I take or when, I only like flying, but a backup is always a good idea.
Thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Education besides Flying

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

That's something that's unique to you. I would run with any other talent or interest that you have and that has some sort of market need (unlike the saturated market for pilots). I highly recommend a trade if you're so inclined.

Sorry about the vague response but the question is personal to you. Know thy self and know thy job market.

ywgflyboy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ywgflyboy »

Consider your flying love too... Do you have a flying job already? If so, you should start by looking at programs you can via distance ed so you have something to do on those layovers instead of drinking and nailing the FA. (that was humor not a thought of action before I get nailed for being a pig haha)

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

CL-Skadoo! wrote:That's something that's unique to you. I would run with any other talent or interest that you have and that has some sort of market need (unlike the saturated market for pilots). I highly recommend a trade if you're so inclined.
Good response. Get into something that interests YOU. You don't have to go get a degree. Lot's of BA's flipping burgers at Mickey-D's!
But, the idea is a very good one.
Cheers

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Be a plumber or an electrician. They are needed EVERYWHERE.

cienki
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by cienki »

If you've got any interest in geography like a lot of pilots and like to work with computers (especially playing with google earth), I'd highly recommend a geomatics degree or certificate. That's the major I chose when I was in the same boat you're in now. The job prospects in the field are great and are only expected to increase.

Other than that, you sure can't go wrong with a trade. Those jobs will always be in demand.

timer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by timer »

I made the decision to get a degree a while back. Flew floats in the summers and worked on the degree during the winters, worked quite well. Although I've since made a career change into geology which I studied but still keep flying ever so often to keep current.

The previous posters are right, pick something you like whether its a trade or a degree. Doesn't hurt to take a selection introduction courses to see what you're interested in.

Saw a quote once that said education is an investment, and I think its right.

Good luck.

felix0315
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by felix0315 »

This was also my problem.
Back in high school (last year :lol: ), I was given the choice of getting a degree THEN working as a pilot or, just being a pilot.
However I also didnt have much of a choice. My parents ended up making me go to school.
Since I'm not interested in ANYTHING that the universities offer, I registered for Mechanical Engineering..
If anything its probably the closest thing to my interest.

I have heard that as a pilot, a degree is just another tick on the job application and, that its not required.
But since my parents wish me to join a cadet program, I need a degree.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

felix0315 wrote:This was also my problem.
I have heard that as a pilot, a degree is just another tick on the job application and, that its not required.
A degree is always a good thing to have in case things don't go as planned (ie: loose your medical, loose your license, etc)

As far as the cadet program thing, unless you go work for the asian operators (Cathay comes to mind), you will have a hard time finding one in Canada.

Going for the deck at corner
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

A degree is always a good thing to have in case things don't go as planned (ie: loose your medical, loose your license, etc)
Loose medical, loose license, loose degree? Better tie those f'ers down if they're loose, you might lose them.

Last edited by Widow on Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: profanity
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Get a BA in history or psychology. If flying doesn't work out there are plenty of Burger Kings looking for Team Leaders.

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

Do you think there are more university grads working mindless burger king jobs than pilots working burger king jobs?

I had a peek at some of the "hire me" people on this site, and quite a few people have "burger king" jobs on their resumes..

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
magyar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by magyar »

strega,
`{Do you think there are more university grads working mindless burger king jobs than pilots working burger king jobs?

I had a peek at some of the "hire me" people on this site, and quite a few people have "burger king" jobs on their resumes..

Thats the name of this dirty game i guess eh, I am flipping eggs right now and dont even bother anymore to tell people i am a pilot, when i do tell people they are like what the crap are you doing here then... I sometimes feel we all have destiny like it or not and we have to deal with it or.....

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tango01 »

magyar wrote:

Thats the name of this dirty game i guess eh, I am flipping eggs right now and dont even bother anymore to tell people i am a pilot, when i do tell people they are like what the crap are you doing here then... I sometimes feel we all have destiny like it or not and we have to deal with it or.....
I hear you. I told this guy the other day that I am a Flight Instructor, but Im not working as such. He told me "why don't you become a pilot?" Anyway, people don't get it, they are always assuming pilots make a ton of money for some reason. I am also working in an unrelated gig to pay bills. I don't like it, but that's understandable. I think getting myself into a trade may be an option in the near future.

Timing is everything.
Dash-Ate
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dash-Ate »

Print this and presto!

Confidentiality Assured? That's what she said... :lol:

That'll buff right out :rolleyes:
felix0315
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by felix0315 »

Dash-Ate wrote:Print this and presto!

Confidentiality Assured? That's what she said... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
+1

felix0315
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by felix0315 »

AuxBatOn wrote:
felix0315 wrote:This was also my problem.

As far as the cadet program thing, unless you go work for the asian operators (Cathay comes to mind), you will have a hard time finding one in Canada.

Yeah they want me to join China Airlines or Eva Airways in Taiwan.

ZBB118.10
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ZBB118.10 »

Your biggest handicap in working in any other industry is your flying qualifications / experience.

Even with a degree, if you have periods of employment on your CV where you have worked as a commercial pilot, a lot of companies will be reluctant to hire you. Simply put, they wont think you will stick around and will take off (lol!) as soon as a flying gig comes up. Thats why you see so many guys in menial jobs outside flying. Sucks eh?

Be very cunning with the way you compose your CV for non flying work. Go learn a useful foreign language, perhaps attempt to get a bit of basic IT experience and build it up from there.

Its depressing that in a matter of months you see guys go from a position of huge repsonsibility (that they have worked so hard to get) to asking your average Joe if he wants fries with his Big Mac. What a bitch aviation is :evil:

A shit leopard never changes its spots boys...
username:
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by username: »

luckyboy wrote:
istp wrote:Be a plumber or an electrician. They are needed EVERYWHERE.
Best advice here.
Agreed! Pick any trade that is in demand. If you are looking for a 'plan B', make sure it is going to be something that will work this time! You already are doing somthing you enjoy...

Return to “General Comments”