Nut-free zone ordered on Air Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

countryhick
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Nut-free zone ordered on Air Canada

Post by countryhick »

From what she claims, it now appears that airline operators are now required to be at the same level as grade schools. The Captain will be kind of like the teacher and have to report errant behavior to the principal. It also appears that an airport terminal building will now have to be treated the same as "entire schools". Airport operators will now have to appoint a "principal" that can expel passengers for behavior that might affect one out of a thousand "students" waiting to get on board an aircraft.

Your analogy is a perfect example of the mentality my child has to endure every day. A nut free/safe zone is not a police state. It is an attempt to keep an area as safe as possible for those that need it. It is not a guarantee that an allergen is not present, or could possibly be introduced. The last time my child almost died he was in a nut free zone, so yes, it does affect that one out of a thousand. Is that an acceptable risk?

A cruise ship would be a prime equivalent example. Thousands of kinds of food are available on those. There are no requirements to limit any of them or a possible exposure to a potential allergen. In fact, the one I was recently on, did not even any of those usual warning signs about possible allergens in the food.

It is for this very reason we have yet to experience a cruise.

So while I empathize with anyone here that has someone suffering from an allergy or disease, I do not agree that society has any responsibility to replace your duties as a parent or sufferer of an allergy or disease, while in a public venue, from taking your duties for your own personal actions for the protection of yourself or your loved ones that you so dearly care for. That duty remains with individuals and not with a ruling of a government body.

Sorry, have to disagree with you there. While I am a firm believer of being responsible for your own actions, I also believe our society has a responsibility to safeguard those that need it. This does not mean I expect every public venue to be 100% safe, that is unreasonable and impossible. However, when my child is in school, in the care of others, is it unreasonable to have a system in place that allows him to be a kid, while at the same time keep him safe?
If we do not protect the most vulnerable, what type of society do we risk becoming?

I certainly have no expectation of anyone taking over for my parental responsibilities, that is something I treasure and will not give up for anything in this world. I will do everything in my power to keep him safe, and I continue to teach him that he has to be responsible for himself and his own actions. But sometimes help is needed. Is having a safe area on an aircraft too high a price to pay. If you don't get the cashews or peanuts or whatever is served, will it result in something potentially tragic?

For the record (but always check), Jazz and A/C snacks (buy on board) are nut free. The corn chips, although gross, are peanut free. The almonds are processed in a peanut free facility, the cashews I don't believe are peanut free.
---------- ADS -----------

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: NUTS AND MORE NUTS HOLY CRAP

Post by bmc »

It's not simple. Read up on what happens to people with these alergies when they're in close proximity to nuts. It's downright frightening.

Instead of a nut free area, drop the nuts altogether. Lots of other things to serve.

bmc
teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

Hey!! I like the corn chips!!

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
Adam1100
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Adam1100 »

i paid for my seat and i like nuts... I don't want to be in their buffer. Maybe they should try taking a bus next time, or there own private "nut free" car. I wonder how many tax dollars went into writing that waste of time.
While I can and do appreciate the government accommodating other cultures and the disabled, they need to print into the laws a certain amount of "suck it up Princess" so the whiners, and middle age soccer moms stop wasting everyones time and money.

When will i get my "rolls of fat coming over the armrest" free zone. Oh and I'm definitely allergic to B.O. and babies, especially crying ones.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

As bmc said it's not that simple. I know a woman with a severe nut allergy; she doesn't have to eat them to have a reaction, she just has to be in proximity to them or someone who has eaten them.

quickflight
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by quickflight »

If we want to do something good we need to band together against those jet fuel snacks and bring back the dad's cookies... WHO'S WITH ME!!!

hook low flare late
BoostedNihilist

Post by BoostedNihilist »

NorthWest is going the other way (laugh)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSGOGAOiiJQ

Wonder what they do with the nuts...

onspeed
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by onspeed »

Good news, It's nice to know these people will be able to get on an airplane without having to worry as much about where they sit.

On a side note the Asthma Society of Canada is also trying to get Air Canada to reverse their decision on allowing pets into the cabin. I know that there had been some talk of getting Transport Canada involved in a similar manner to this.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Perhaps ACA should consider bringing back proper (and of course nut free) full mean service. That way non-allergic passengers won't be tempted to bring their own food onboard which is likely 'tainted' with peanut allergens as an alternative to the overpriced garbage served on the flights now.

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

linecrew wrote:Perhaps ACA should consider bringing back proper (and of course nut free) full mean service. That way non-allergic passengers won't be tempted to bring their own food onboard which is likely 'tainted' with peanut allergens as an alternative to the overpriced garbage served on the flights now.
Uh huh...and if they did, I bet you'd be first in line to complain about how much more the ticket prices are than Westjet or the charter companies. Either that or you'd rub it in Air Canada's face that they are losing money on the operation.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

teacher wrote: She wants all nuts banned from all airlines.

Good grief...some people need to give their heads a shake.

fanspeed
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by fanspeed »

Adam1100 wrote:i paid for my seat and i like nuts... I don't want to be in their buffer. Maybe they should try taking a bus next time, or there own private "nut free" car. I wonder how many tax dollars went into writing that waste of time.
While I can and do appreciate the government accommodating other cultures and the disabled, they need to print into the laws a certain amount of "suck it up Princess" so the whiners, and middle age soccer moms stop wasting everyones time and money.

When will i get my "rolls of fat coming over the armrest" free zone. Oh and I'm definitely allergic to B.O. and babies, especially crying ones.
Wonder who'd be bitching the loudest if he/she had an allergy.

_dwj_
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by _dwj_ »

shitdisturber wrote:As bmc said it's not that simple. I know a woman with a severe nut allergy; she doesn't have to eat them to have a reaction, she just has to be in proximity to them or someone who has eaten them.
It is highly unlikely that she is actually having a reaction to the nuts just from being in proximity to someone who has eaten them. People believe they have reactions to various things like MSG and cellphone towers, but when they are tested they only show reactions when they are TOLD that they are ingesting MSG or the cellphone tower is on, not when it actually is.

I don't think there is any actual evidence that having a peanut free area actually protects people. See this article from the NY Times:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/1 ... -hysteria/

The only research I can find is this double blind study showing inhalation of fumes from peanut butter causes no reaction, and skin contact only has a minor, local reaction:

http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-prev ... ze=largest

Another study looked at self-reported reactions from airline passengers, and found no severe or life threatening reactions due to inhalation:

http://www.jacionline.org/article/PIIS0 ... 0/fulltext

Last edited by _dwj_ on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam1100
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Adam1100 »

fanspeed wrote:
Adam1100 wrote:i paid for my seat and i like nuts... I don't want to be in their buffer. Maybe they should try taking a bus next time, or there own private "nut free" car. I wonder how many tax dollars went into writing that waste of time.

Wonder who'd be bitching the loudest if he/she had an allergy.

I do have allergies... but as everyone else should I "suck it up." I don't expect to be accommodated by everyone else or by companies trying to make money.
if it was in there commercial interest to do so they would have become "nut free" already cause I'm sure this is a waste of money for the company as well. instead all the real nuts go running to the government to complain, and apparently come here too.

felix0315
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by felix0315 »

I dont know much about the air conditioning systems on board airplanes
but assuming that the AC works as a single system
the 'zone division' would seem rather ineffective as there would be no way to prevent a nut free zone anywhere on the plane, even if you tried dividing the people up.
And even if the AC isnt a single system, it would still be ineffective because you're still not properly 'quarantined' from 'nut fumes'.

so, having said all that, i really dont get why this order has to be implemented. theres really no point :S.
i mean, if it is proximity that people worry about on a plane, just tell the others around you that you have an allergy, and they should respect your condition.

im not trying to start a war...i'm just going by logic here

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

My wife runs a cookie company, Labels abound warning of nut contamination. the cost of running two kitchens was prohibitive, she still gets requests.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I thought a "nut-free zone" meant a line beyond which CATSA employees could not pass?

Nut allergies are life-threatening for some. I love nuts, but I don't need 'em on a flight a lot less than I don't need somebody going into anephalactic (too lazy to look up spelling) shock and diverting to Winnipeg (shudder) or Toronto.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Good grief,

If Air Canada has to create nut free zones Nobody from Catsa, CTA and only 1/2 of Avcanada could fly with them. Thier planes would be half empty. I know one coastal Beaver pilot that would never be allowed on board. :smt014 :roll: :lol:
Bob

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

What an absurd request. As a recovering alcoholic ( just kidding, trying to make a point here) I demand all alcohol be removed from all flights so i'm not tempted if I see another person having a drink. Can't people just go without for a few hours while i'm in there presence? Everyone around me can be so selfish. :roll:

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
805ITT
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 805ITT »

Is it really that hard to offer a nut free environment. All of the newspaper articles say that it is just Air Canada that has to offer this zone that is requested by a customer but Westjet already doesn't serve nuts on there aircraft. This one isn't a dog pile on AC.

My son is "big needle" allergic to peanuts and if he was to come in contact with a part of a nut because someone sneezed in a row behind him after eating a peanut it would be a death sentense of over an ocean somewhere. As a parent knowing that the aircraft or at least the few seats around us don't have nuts would take some of the stress out of travelling.

This is a good move on their part and AC could spin it well to increase buisness.

Return to “General Comments”