canadian flight dispatcher exams

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

plocsek
Rank 1
Rank 1

canadian flight dispatcher exams

Post by plocsek »

Hello,
i just wrote the Commercial Pilot Written Exams and did fairly well...and i would like to write the flight dispatcher exams too.
I would be grateful if anyone who wrote the FD exams can tell me if studying the CPL written books is enough or should i buy the . Flight Dispatcher written test book.
thank you guys.
---------- ADS -----------

Tango01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: canadian flight dispatcher exams

Post by Tango01 »

I haven't written them yet (too lazy/not sure if I want to do dispatching) but they are likely to be more like the ATPL/IATRA. Get the AeroCourse ATPL and some good weather manual (ACWM).

Timing is everything.
5400AirportRdSouth
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by 5400AirportRdSouth »

If you've written ( and passed ) the CPL exam, you could get a pass on the FD exams without much trouble.

HOWEVER.... there is definitely some material in there that is not covered in the usual CPL study books.

FDMET is word-for-word, chapter-for-chapter, an exam on the Air Command Weather Manual. If I recall correctly, the TC study guide and the chapter index of ACWM are almost the same document.... The only thing not covered in ACWM is weather product, GFA, METAR/TAF, etc... things like issue times/validities, symbols, etc, etc.

FDOPS, with a healthy knowledge level of CPL topics, will get you a pass on the exam, but maybe not a stellar grade.

Something that occurred to me, is that if you are applying for a dispatch position and they want proof of passing the exams, the only document you will have to present is the TC letter with your score on it. ( not to sound like its all about the paper, I love learning so would have studied the living hell out of it in any case... )

I bought the Auslander FDOPS study guide, and it helped to guide my studying, but has little in the way of actual reference material. Their practice questions just gave me a little clue as to what areas I was weak in, rather than actually give me the knowledge I was looking for. That came from a wide variety of sources, most importantly the AIM and the CARs.

Use the TC study guides and know each subject, and you'll be fine. I know it doesn't help when they say " Aerodynamics " ... but c'est la vie

Lastly, the exams are free, or were when I wrote them. If you're pressed for time and the piece of paper might open a door for you in the short term, go write them. If you are happy with the score, off to the races, if not...study, rinse, repeat.

My 0.02, YMMV.

Remember, only YOU can stop Narcissism
Servisair
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Servisair »

IMO, you would need more study than you would for the PPL or CPL exams. Especially for FDMET. As it was posted above, know the ACWM cover to cover for the theory. Also you can get the ACWM work book that will help. But for charts and validity times you will need FGU and or AIM. FDOPS I found if you just go through the study guide section by section with the reference material you should do fine. There are some items in there that you wouldnt have seen in your studying for PPL or CPL.

5400AirportRdSouth, Im not sure if you had just made a typo or not about showing the scores of your exams to a future employer, but you dont have to. Thats why they give you 1 print out of your scores and another print out that just says pass or fail. Thats the only letter that an employer needs to see.

5400AirportRdSouth
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by 5400AirportRdSouth »

Servisair, you are correct, I looked back in my paperwork and sure enough, there is a second letter with just the " PASS " on it, no score...my bad.

Remember, only YOU can stop Narcissism
draggintails
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by draggintails »

5400AirportRdSouth wrote:Servisair, you are correct, I looked back in my paperwork and sure enough, there is a second letter with just the " PASS " on it, no score...my bad.
i wrote mine a few weeks ago and the first page said PASS and the score, the second page was the codes for the areas i answered incorrectly. If i may suggest for anyone writing these exams, there is a book from ccul---hanes that i used and found that this book really was not worth the money for an exam prep. BUT!!!! this book is extremely useful when becomming a dispatcher. I googled "type a flight dispatcher transport canada" and it found some very useful TC links. Good luck to all. I passed and did well but I still think it was a brutal exam.

cheers

A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A Regulator »

Do a search on this forum and you will see this question has been asked and answered many times. In regards to the exams you have to be on the same level as an ATPL to talk about the weather and equipment, etc. There is a link on the TC web page under manuals for flight dispatcher.

Return to “General Comments”