Importation of US Amateur Built

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RCB175
Rank 0
Rank 0

Importation of US Amateur Built

Post by RCB175 »

Hello everyone, I am not sure if this is the right forum or not, but perhaps I can appeal to the collective wisdom and experinece of the board... here is my question(s)

1) I have not yet attained my PPL

2) I have recently found a very attractive opportunity to purchase a US Amateur Built Aircraft, in Southern California.

3) to import, I understand that ".. the aircraft was issued a permanent flight authority pursuant to the regulations of the State of construction, and has subsequently completed not less than 100 hours air time...."

4) This aircraft was issued a C o f A on March 06, 2009 and has logged approx 45 Hours

5) As the aircraft has not yet achieved the 100 hours dictated by TC, (for the importation of Amateur aircraft), would it be possible for me to bring the Aircraft into Canada under 507.05 (the validation of the Federal Aviation Administration Special Airworthiness Certificate - Experimental, for the purpose of operating a United States - registered amateur-built aircraft in Canadian airspace)

6) Once landed in Canada - with the owner's consent & having satisfying Insurance liability - I would have 90 Days to fly off the remaining requisite hours at CZBB.

7) after which apply for Importation and Inspection, for Canadian Registration.?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Ron
---------- ADS -----------

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Importation of US Amateur Built

Post by cgzro »

Yes, my comment is "we/Internet are not the ones you should be asking". You should check this carefully with TC and the FAA. I think you are in a bit of a grey area.

For example the aircraft is still US registered .. but you are not allowed to fly a US registered aircraft without a US licence. Thats not impossible, just a pain to get the US to issue you one .. probably need a background check now etc. Now if the aircraft is operated by you, you need to be on the owners insurance and its still his aircraft until the hours are flown off ... that may be ok.

Also, and I don't know the answer, is a US experimental allowed to fly more than X-miles from its home base before the 100hrs are up? I thought there was some radius limit? If so that would be a problem.

Anyway do you homework and take advice you get on the Internet with a grain of salt.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “General Comments”