Anyone recall the Blue Angels crash at CNE 1966 . . .

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

robbreid
Rank 7
Rank 7

Anyone recall the Blue Angels crash at CNE 1966 . . .

Post by robbreid »

Richard Carl Oliver, Lt. Commander (click on name)

Blue Angel Grumman F-11A Tiger

BLUE ANGELS PILOT KILLED AT AIR SHOW Image
Crowd Sees Jet Fall Into Lake Ontario

TORONTO, Canada, September 2, 1966 – A jet piloted by one of the United States Navy’s precision flying Blue Angels from Pensacola, Florida, crashed into Lake Ontario today during a flying exhibition at the Canadian National Exhibition’s annual air show.

The pilot was identified as Lieutenant Commander Dick Oliver, 31, of Fort Mill, South Carolina, a 1955 graduate of Duke University at Durham, North Carolina. He was killed instantly.

A crowd of 100,000 watched horrified as the blue jet, a Grumman F-11A Tiger, plummeted from the sky toward Lake Ontario where it hit a breakwater and burst into flames.

The pilot of a standby rescue helicopter was hit by flying metal. He was rushed to Toronto Western Hospital where doctors treated him for cuts and shock. His condition was not serious.

Oliver was in a maneuver called a “knife edge,” with Lieutenant Norman Candia of Long Island, New York, had completed it and appeared outbound at about 500 miles an hour when the crash occurred.

John Holden, publicity director for the exhibition, said the crash occurred during a stunt where two planes fly directly at each other, pass, and then do a complete roll.

It was believed the downed plane, heading east, dipped too low and went out of control. A military investigation was ordered to determine the cause of the crash.

Oliver was the third member of the famed stunt team to die at this exhibition in the last 12 years. Oliver had been with the Blue Angels since April 1964. Others were killed in 1954 and 1958.

Toronto’s island airport, near where the crash took place, was placed under tight military control.

The Blue Angels are officially known as the United States Demonstration Team. The stunt flying team formed 20 years ago has become world famous as an ace flying team.

Each year they performed above millions of spectators at shows such as the Canadian National Exhibition.

The Blue Angels, led by Commander Bob Aumack, 37, of Mays Landing, New Jersey, fly the trickiest aircraft maneuvers in the book. Their diamond formation at 500 miles an hour is considered the tightest in the world.

Summer 2009 CNE
---------- ADS -----------

black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Anyone recall the Blue Angels crash at CNE 1966 . . .

Post by black hole »

I was there. Saw the whole thing up close. Terrible.

BH

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

The then local coroner, Morty Shulman, caused an interesting fuss when he showed up demanding custody of the body as his job required required him to do. The USN had other ideas and the international fuss filled the papers for a few days.

Morty was no shrinking violet. There's lots of construction workers still alive because he held a series of inquests on the ditch collapses that regularly killed half a dozen foreign born laborers annually that the provincial government couldn't get itself worked up about.

Now it's swing stages.

Strat57
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Strat57 »

Yes, I was there at the CNE, I was 7 years old and loved planes. For me it was like slow motion as the F-11 Tiger's wing tip touched the water as he passed. The plain was pulled into the water and I remember the exhaust of the F-11 Tiger changing colour as water was passing through the intake. It disintegrated as it hit the break wall.

I was there for the RCF Nimrod crash as well. That one could have been worse as the aircraft had fuelled up for the trip home after the show.

albertdesalvo
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by albertdesalvo »

I was there, in the stands. My uncle flew the CF-101 in that show, he was the third aircraft in the flight of four. I remember the crash like it was yesterday. The two planes passed in front of the grandstand, and it seemed like everyone watched the westbound plane. For some reason I chose to watch the eastbound plane, and saw him fly it into the water. I stood up in disbelief and watched the plume of black smoke rising. I remember my exact words, I said to nobody in particular, "He hit!". Then my legs went rubbery and I had to sit down. Will never forget that day, my elation at seeing my uncle go over in the Voodoo was short lived.

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

I was also there and ironically the guy almost had done the same thing the day before - day 2 wasn't a charm - I was doing my inst rating at the island and there were several instructors that had watched the previous day and had commented on how low he was.

Very sad --

Black Air has no Lift - Extra Fuel has no Weight

ACTPA :kriz:
Roy Planke
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Roy Planke »

Yes.... vividly. I was there. 15 years old. I was watching the other jet and just looked to this one a few seconds before crash. It was clear to me wing tip touched water. I saw a quick splash the huge fire ball. I thought at first a special effect surprise.... then ...... where is the jet...??????? Then a big piece (which later learned it was the engine came up out of the fire ball.... over the people watching on that part of shore and bounched on the ground .... the crowd went quiet... still bazar to think about. RIP.... the fly by in the missing man formation very sad..... thank you all first responders... Roy Planke

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Clockmaker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Clockmaker »

I was there in 1966, was 17 at the time.My uncle in Fullerton California worked for Hughes Aircraft and was an aeronautical engineer and was involved in the crash investigation as he had worked on the design of the aircraft. I remember it like it was yesterday because it was the one and only time that I met Howard Hughes who had to come to Toronto for the investigation hearing .I remember him coming to our home in a new Corvette convertible.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

What incredible and terrible luck that the guy flying the standby rescue helicopter could be injured by flying debris apparently without also taking down the copter.

James Garrity
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by James Garrity »

I was at the airshow accompanying my father Dr. James Garrity who was chief medical officer involved in search and rescue mission post crash. Tragic accident..i also believe a second body was discovered that being the victim of gangland violence.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Classic Toronto. Reminds me of the Cessna crash in the Newfoundland cemetery.

LorainH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LorainH »

Yes. I was standing on the airport at the west end of the parked local aircraft. The Grumman hit the wall and bounced tumbling into the air. The sound was a huge bang. I thought I would be hit by debris and dove behind a C150, using the nose wheel to protect my head. I was 17 at the time and I had my PPL, working toward my CPL. I still have the image and sound etched in my memory 55 years later. So tragic.

Return to “General Comments”