aircrew selection

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

Recruiting center told me several times that was the day. I think they are letting some people into the summer BOTC which is usually the RMC cadets course. The recruiter said (paraphrased) they were going to try and give as many people offers ASAP and get them working in the summer. When I asked where they would work she said she didn't know. Maybe your recruiter is better informed than the folks at CFRC Calgary. Also, if you dont make it in March they'll also be considering you in May, according to her.

I think it's pretty unlikely that all your boys will make it on course tho. When I was in TO I was still thinking that way but it seems like they have a huge amount of applicants for a very small # of spots. Every time I'm at the recruiting center there are at least 3-5 more kids in there for CFAT or interviews. Whats the word where you're at?
---------- ADS -----------

Audi Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Audi Pilot »

Cheez:
CFRC here in Missisauga is either not as well informed or is not giving out as much info. They are trying to process their fair share of applicants as well. Not sure how many of those are actually passing ACS and aircrew medical. I do know that there are several BOTC coarses stating in April.

mysidesdone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mysidesdone »

Hey cheez... did your recruiter also say: 'so do you like camping... cause then you'll love the infantry!!!!'

Recruiters generally know NOTHING!

gryphon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gryphon »

Zatopec
In regards to Moose Jaw, there are guys/girls here now who did BOTC, then directly into phase one, then directly into phase 2, no waiting at all. Right now, the only delay for phase 3 is in the multi world (around 6-8 months). I believe the fast tracked people even skipped SERE, AMT and sea survival (though they will do them later).
I believe Cheez answered your question re phase one. I had 1300 hours, but still did phase one. If you get the chance, do it. It's a good intro to the way the military does stuff and it's on a slow, basic machine.
Good luck. Any questions, just ask.

Zatopec
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Zatopec »

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated!

I do have a university degree and over 1500 hrs.

During the process, how far do they search one's medical records? Not that I have anything to hide, not at all, but I wonder how far back they will look into my stuff. It's always nive to know what people are looking for when they do an extensive search of your records, that's why I'm asking.

One more question. Is there a wait between phase two and three for helo drivers? I think this is the way I would like to go.

Thanks,

Zatopec

Zatopec
_______

He who has his ear to the ground has his ass exposed
shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

When I joined the military they never looked into my records, but then I wasn't going for pilot. Not that it would've done them any good since I didn't have any medical records.

TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

Sorry about the multi posts there guys I kept getting a 500 Server Error there.

Ok on my course of ACS there were 14 people there for CEOTP and one Capt from moose jaw transferring to pilot, he's already on the harvard 2's AFAIK.

Of the 14, myself and 1 other had diplomas and didn't have to do the sim, and the medical went fine, 12 others did the sim and 1 failed outright, one was nav, and the others all went to medical and I was on a plane home before they were done there.

Zap, with a degree you should have no problems at all. You'll be direct entry officer and they seem to like those, especially since you're a pilot already. You'll still have to do phase 1 flight training I believe. I think you have to declare the past 5 years to them. I'm not sure how much they actually check though.

All of you who say "recruiting centres dont know anything" you're at least partly right. It's the only source we have for info other than here. I think I've been at mine enough to know when they're spinning BS and when they're at least partly right. For instance, my buddy went down and they told him he could be on BOTC this summer. I told him they were lying and not to get his hopes up, they just want enthusiasm so you get your papers in ASAP.

However, every time they've quoted exact dates, they've been correct. The way I understand BOTC courses to work, the earliest one should be early May or very late April. The course runs 14 weeks and started the week of Jan 5. Last I heard (not from a recruiter, from the capt at ACS) there's no overlap of courses, and 3 per year.

gryphon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gryphon »

Zat
Currently the wait between phase 2 and 3 helos is between 1-5 months, depending on the time of the year. However, this changes constantly, so if you're just starting botc, it will probably be different by the time you get there.

justplanecrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: aircrew selection

Post by justplanecrazy »

hotflygirl wrote:It seems as though they have already gone over me with a fine tooth comb. I want to do my best and hope that I can..

Thanks

Juli
Juli, if you are who you say you are... you're already in. As long as its a military man and not a "Navy male", when there's a "hotflygirl" opposite his desk he'll be so relieved that its not another ugly mug that not much else will matter.

Fine tooth comb eh???

Lucky Bastards :oops:

We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.
— Dr. Herbert Haynes, Federal Aviation Authority.
TheCheez
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by TheCheez »

I realise you're trying to hit on her, but all the same.

I can't say for sure, but no one I met in the application process indicated they'd be on the selection board. So they dont get to look at you or speak to you in person. Aren't the forces actively recruiting women (pilots especially) and minorities though? As much as that bothers me, you are probably a shoe in if your ap is ok.

Zatopec
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Zatopec »

On average, how much time a year can a pilot expect to be away from home, either deployed or somewhere else away from base? Are there differences between tranports and helos for that matter?

Thanks,

Zatopec

Zatopec
_______

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Huge differences, the length of deployment totally depends on what you're flying. If you're flying Hercs, plan on being away a lot. Same thing if you're flying Sea Pigs off a ship, if you're in the Gulf, you're gone for at least three months. Fighters, a couple of weeks here, a couple of weeks there is about it since they're not likely to be deployed to a battle zone any time soon. Tac Hel is roughly the same, a couple of weeks in the field, literally, here and there is about it.

Zatopec
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Zatopec »

What are the chances to get to fly the Aurora these days? What's the outlook for this type in the upcoming years? Are they away a lot?

Thanks again,

Zatopec

Zatopec
_______

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

They tend to be away quite a bit, but they are very large organizations; so unless you're off patrolling the Gulf, again you're not likely to be away more than a couple of weeks here or there.

Zatopec
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Zatopec »

Gee, that was a quick reply, thanks!

And what are the chances to be selected for the type these days?

Shitdisturber, you said you didn't go in as a pilot, what's your profession?

Zatopec

Zatopec
_______

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

I was an avionics tech but I grew tired of working my ass off so some yahoo could go out and play; now i'm the yahoo! :)

Return to “General Comments”