Ops Manager Test and Interview

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

tiny
Rank 4
Rank 4

Ops Manager Test and Interview

Post by tiny »

Any tips or comments for preping for the Ops manager test? 703 Operations only.
---------- ADS -----------

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Ops Manager Test and Interview

Post by Lost Lake »

Read and study the sample exam in cars. Know who you are going to work for. That's about it.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
Nephilim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nephilim »

You must know your COM inside and out and the Ops Specs for your company.

Good luck

Tuk U
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tuk U »

I'd thinkin if you're asking on this site you're likely not qualified anyways.....

tiny
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tiny »

I wrote a good portion of the COM and have studied the references mentioned in TP 14025E. Just looking for any extra tips people might have. I like to be prepared using any resource available.

parrot_head
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by parrot_head »

I went thru the process about 8 years ago. You'll need to have a good understanding of the CARs that apply to you, your Ops Manual, Ops Specs, and anything else that applies to your operation. My interview was pretty informal and took place over lunch and focused on operational control and communication. How will you communicate with your employees? How can they communicatate with you? How are you going to make sure your employees are doing what they are supposed to do? What will you do if they don't? What do you think your biggest challenge will be? Do you have any problems right now that need to be addressed? I think they just want to get a feel for what kind of operation you are going to run.

timexd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by timexd »

My advice is to make sure your goals are the same as ownership. It is very difficult to change the culture of an operation that has been in business for a while. Aside from the platittudes about safety that ownership will spout at your job interview make sure that the organization is actually comitted to safety. Talk to the flight crews before you accept a management role to get their take on things. If you and ownrship are heading in opposite directions then your tenure a manager will be short lived.

Also be very aware of your responsibility and your liability as Operations Manager. Allowing ownership to exercise improper operational control will impact significantly your credibility with your flight crews and with TC.

I speak from experience.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Tiny, why would you want to hold a position where the only loser in the end may be you?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

timexd wrote:My advice is to make sure your goals are the same as ownership. It is very difficult to change the culture of an operation that has been in business for a while. Aside from the platittudes about safety that ownership will spout at your job interview make sure that the organization is actually comitted to safety. Talk to the flight crews before you accept a management role to get their take on things. If you and ownrship are heading in opposite directions then your tenure a manager will be short lived.

Also be very aware of your responsibility and your liability as Operations Manager. Allowing ownership to exercise improper operational control will impact significantly your credibility with your flight crews and with TC.

I speak from experience.

Wise words.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
highlander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by highlander »

I have written the Ops MGR and CP exams for 703 and 704. Here is my advice.

1) The exams used to be open book. However, that is no longer the case. Therefore, use the study guide- as many of the questions will come from the material presented in it. Take each question from the study guide and write down the answers. Answers can be found on the tc website specifically in the CARS and the Aeronautics act. You might also get some of the answers from your COM. Lot's of memorization.

2) Your COM will come in handy for the interview. Depending on the company and your background the interview might be very formal or very informal. I have gone through each type. Really, I believe it's an opportunity for the people at TC to get to know you. If the company has a good reputation no problem. If the company has a "history" you might find they ask more specific questions about how you would handle various issues.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

A few years ago, about 8 or 10, TC reduced some of the legal pressure on the Ops Manager by creating a new "position" called the "Responsible Executive"
This is the president, or CEO or whotever that takes the hot seat in the event of a problem with any legal or TC implications. This cannot be the ops manager unless he/she also happens to be the owner or upper management.
My TC inspector explaned that this was also a way to haul in the bosses if they are not allowing their Ops Man to do his job correctly and within the laws.
Bob

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

beaverbob wrote:A few years ago, about 8 or 10, TC reduced some of the legal pressure on the Ops Manager by creating a new "position" called the "Responsible Executive"
This is the president, or CEO or whotever that takes the hot seat in the event of a problem with any legal or TC implications. This cannot be the ops manager unless he/she also happens to be the owner or upper management.
My TC inspector explaned that this was also a way to haul in the bosses if they are not allowing their Ops Man to do his job correctly and within the laws.
Bob
Actually BB I believe the "accountable executive" position was created to support the new SMS. All for the reasons you pointed out...but not specifically to take any burden off the Ops Mgr. He/She would be equally responsible as the accountable executive should an accident occur. The accountable executive title simply fills the hole that SMS needed filled.

Tiny, know the difference between a standard and a reg and be able to explain it. I was asked that specific question in my oral for 703/704 Ops Mgr. It kinda caught me offguard and my answer was weak at best. Just a tip for you. Best of luck with the exam and interview!

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

Study the reference guide and know your COM. Most of the questions on the exam came right from the guide.

For my 704 interview, I brought the TC inspector into the office and showed him a typical day, including getting ready for a flight. I showed him how we flight plan and do flight watch, and how our dispatch system works etc. I printed out simulated flight plans and showed him how we track our crew duty hours etc, and he asked various related questions about the stuff I was showing him. It was less intimidating for me to do it that way rather than sitting in a TC office eyeballing each other across the table.

Good luck!

Return to “General Comments”