Canada's Runways too Short!?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Canada's Runways too Short!?

Post by Bushav8er »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le1502108/

I would think that every runway around the world is to short when its wet, you land long and fast.
---------- ADS -----------

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Canada's Runways to Short!?

Post by Lost Lake »

"Er captain, I think we're fast and long." "That's ok, we got an extra 900 feet"
"Who put that house on the runway!!"

The real problem, IMHO, is the pressure put on all commercial pilots. The captain probably weighed the chances of stopping in time versus the reports and reamings he would suffer for doing a go around, wasting fuel and time.

And of course, in typical Canadian fashion, 1 incident in 10's of millions is enough to totally restructure something. :x

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

No cheap jokes about North Bay.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

We don't need longer runways or better pilots, we just need better equipment.

Ravine schmavine... :D

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

Lost Lake wrote:The real problem, IMHO, is the pressure put on all commercial pilots. The captain probably weighed the chances of stopping in time versus the reports and reamings he would suffer for doing a go around, wasting fuel and time.
I was in Palm Springs a few weeks ago and West Jet went around, ATC ask politly why, the said they came in too high. We followed them around for thier second attempt, they sure weren't going to miss it a second time. :mrgreen:

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
Randleman
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Randleman »

Lurch wrote:
Lost Lake wrote:The real problem, IMHO, is the pressure put on all commercial pilots. The captain probably weighed the chances of stopping in time versus the reports and reamings he would suffer for doing a go around, wasting fuel and time.
I was in Palm Springs a few weeks ago and West Jet went around, ATC ask politly why, the said they came in too high. We followed them around for thier second attempt, they sure weren't going to miss it a second time. :mrgreen:

Lurch
But Westjet won't blacklist you for doing stuff like that, unlike some other companies out there.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Federal body blasts government inaction, claims Ottawa only consulted aviation industry on runway extension
oh god no! Don't consult the people who know! They might give you good info. Apparently 11,000 feet is too short

crankedup
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by crankedup »

Major runways at Canadian airports are still too short – increasing the risk of planes overshooting the runway like the Air France jet that crashed and burned five years ago at Toronto's Pearson International Airport, the Transportation Safety Board is warning.
What incredible bullshit!

ctmorawetz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ctmorawetz »

It's a little bit late to be complaining that the runways are too short after you've built houses, wearhouses, hotels, etc. on all sides of the airport. The problem is if you build an airport in the middle of no-where just so you have space to expand, no one uses it because it's not convienent. (i.e Mirabel).

Keep your stick on the ice - Red Green
sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Solution: If your performance numbers work for that specific runway, use it. If not, take another runway. (Yes I know I'm a genius :prayer: )

IBPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IBPilot »

crankedup wrote:
Major runways at Canadian airports are still too short – increasing the risk of planes overshooting the runway like the Air France jet that crashed and burned five years ago at Toronto's Pearson International Airport, the Transportation Safety Board is warning.
I will 100% agree with you. The AF A340 touched down half way down the runway, they were fighting wind shear, gusting cross winds, and the fact that they waited 12 seconds after touchdown to engage the thrust reversers also complicates the problem.

The problem is not runway length (+10,000 feet) but rather human error. There is no amount of runway that one can realistically provide a pilot with that prevents against human error.

Luke

Give me a mile of highway and I'll show you a mile; give me a mile of runway, and I'll show you the world!
GoinNowhereFast
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Canada's Runways too Short!?

Post by GoinNowhereFast »

So every runway that's already really long, turn 500' on each end into that special "over run" area. :smt040. 'Cause, you know, painting on different markings makes airplanes stop faster.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity
AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

Because someone screws up a landing suddenly the runway is too short? :? Who dreams up this crap?

hairdo
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by hairdo »

Clearly the genius who came up with this idea is either not a pilot, or is a pilot who doesn't know how to: a) fly an approach properly; b) calculate how much runway they need... before they depart; or c) go around. :rolleyes:

Gravity lands us, we just make it look good.
niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

IBPilot wrote:
crankedup wrote:
I will 100% agree with you. The AF A340 touched down half way down the runway, they were fighting wind shear, gusting cross winds, and the fact that they waited 12 seconds after touchdown to engage the thrust reversers also complicates the problem.

The problem is not runway length (+10,000 feet) but rather human error. There is no amount of runway that one can realistically provide a pilot with that prevents against human error.

Luke
I'll be flying AF in a week. Can I get access to the flight deck to talk them through it?

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

I'm sure you can, just bring your PPL. :wink:

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Lurch wrote:

Lurch
Palm Springs lol
Yea that one is a really back country strip, 10k x 150, zero obstacles, most often zero clouds!

reality check
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by reality check »

So, lemme get this straight.

Hundreds of thousands of flights have taken off and landed in total safety in the last number of years, ONE Air France flight messes up an approach and we have a runway length crisis? Makes sense to me.

Good luck squeezing that money out the the Conservatives, unless you want another 1000ft paved in bibles and useless junk mail espousing their greatness. In which case, you're in luck!

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

Good luck squeezing that money out the the Conservatives, unless you want another 1000ft paved in bibles and useless junk mail espousing their greatness. In which case, you're in luck!
I've done a little paving myself (no bibles in sight) over the last year and I have supported a family quite nicly off the infastructure investments the conservatives have made. is your argument that the conservitives don't spend money (canadas largest deffict), you have to thump a bible to recive any benifit (Not sure PCL LEDCOR Clark any building specilists give a @#$! what religion if any you choose), were slow to react to the automobil industries needs (announced a matching of funds % based prior to the U.S. bailout to help autoworkers/managers know where they stood in what was their darkest hour to date) all the while fighting a Coup d'état literally to save a democratically elected govenerment.

If they want to send out a flyer once a week to support the battered logging industry (which the liberals hung in limbo for years) good on them I will quite happly put it in the recycling along with the 10 chinesse restraunt menues I recive un-solicited.

Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010
Blue Side Down
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Blue Side Down »

Just when ya figure the media couldn't get any stupider, they release a gem like that.

I won't be surprised to see an article published promoting widening the roads so less people go careening off the 40x highways in winter. Driving too fast in a snowstorm? bollox, the road simply isn't wide enough!

It looks like we just hit rock bottom- break out the dynamite boys!

Return to “General Comments”