Edmonton City Centre Airport

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
jeff_w_yeg
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:47 pm

Good Bye CYXD...

Post by jeff_w_yeg »

I hate to say it, but it looks like Edmonton City Centre is going the way of the dodo.

It was reported today on Global Edmonton's Noon newscast that Envision Edmonton's petition to the city has been deemed invalid.

Video up on Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/vid ... 252&ref=mf

The long and short of it: They didn't have enough valid signatures (although I didn't realize the city clerk determined the number of valid signatures by statistical methods and NOT by actually contacting people who signed) and the petition wasn't filed within 60 days of city council deciding to close CYXD.
---------- ADS -----------
  

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7374
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.
Contact:

Re: Good Bye CYXD...

Post by . ._ »

How long is it to drive from downtown Edmonton to YEG?

Normal traffic? Rush hour traffic?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Limbo

Re: Good Bye CYXD...

Post by Mclovin »

What a shame this is. I have a lot of good memories flying in and out of there, my career really got going flying in out of CYXD. It really is mind blowing how stupid people are.

It can take up to an hour to drive from downtown to YEG in rush hour.
---------- ADS -----------
  
following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 7374
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:50 pm
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.
Contact:

Re: Good Bye CYXD...

Post by . ._ »

Brilliant. :roll:
---------- ADS -----------
  

Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:31 pm

Re: Good Bye CYXD...

Post by Tube Driver »

Solution:
---------- ADS -----------
  
Attachments
Small Cards sept 2010 cb1.jpg
Small Cards sept 2010 cb1.jpg (40.47 KiB) Viewed 2001 times

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by aviator2010 »

78,244 signatures were needed to force a plebiscite. Only 73,657 signatures were deemed eligible.

City Council is still planning to have a meeting on the petition this afternoon. (sj,blb)
concile voted 10-3 to not include a question on the ballot

with this setteled at least we now have a plan rather than the half ass compramisses we've been working with
---------- ADS -----------
  
Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 616
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:27 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Refusing to put the question on the ballot after quibbling off some "ineligible" signatures leaves the councillors voting against the petition if a position where those in favor of the airport may decide to vote them off the council.

So there could well be 13 referendums on ECCA if Envision Edmonton takes their campaign to the city elections. That of course depends on finding candidates in favor of preserving ECCA.
---------- ADS -----------
  

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by aviator2010 »

Refusing to put the question on the ballot after quibbling off some "ineligible" signatures leaves the councillors voting against the petition if a position where those in favor of the airport may decide to vote them off the council.

So there could well be 13 referendums on ECCA if Envision Edmonton takes their campaign to the city elections. That of course depends on finding candidates in favor of preserving ECCA.
it's not survivor. councillors don't vote each other off. 3 councillors support it next topic
---------- ADS -----------
  
Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010

double-j
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:04 am

Re: Good Bye CYXD...

Post by double-j »

Some shameless self promotion... :roll:
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:30 pm

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by 5x5 »

aviator2010 wrote:Quote:
Refusing to put the question on the ballot after quibbling off some "ineligible" signatures leaves the councillors voting against the petition if a position where those in favor of the airport may decide to vote them off the council.

So there could well be 13 referendums on ECCA if Envision Edmonton takes their campaign to the city elections. That of course depends on finding candidates in favor of preserving ECCA.


it's not survivor. councillors don't vote each other off. 3 councillors support it next topic

You congenital idiot - he didn't mean the councilors vote each other out, it's Edmontonians that will do that. With reading comprehension like yours, it's unlikely you will understand the next topic.

It still continues to completely baffle me that anyone with anything to do with aviation would be pleased to see a GA airport in any location in Canada closed. Particularly a large one like CYXD.

The human condition in Edmonton, particularly as displayed by City Council today, is sorely lacking.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain

User avatar
cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:59 pm
Location: of my mind is in gutter.

Re: Good Bye CYXD...

Post by cyeg66 »

Mclovin wrote:
It can take up to an hour to drive from downtown to YEG in rush hour.

In a year of living downtown, it never took me more than 45 mins, even with summer construction. In the morning, roughly about 25 mins. And "how stupid people are"...? I figure you're a little older than 12, judging by your other comments of having a career.
Close the thing down, already. It's a bloody airstrip, and one in a bad location, frankly. It's not a UNESCO World Heritage site, or anything of the like. When I saw the changes (finally!) taking place at Villeneuve, then I knew it was only a matter of time that the final nail was sunk deep into the coffin.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.

User avatar
Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Limbo

Re: Good Bye CYXD...

Post by Mclovin »

cyeg66 wrote:
Mclovin wrote:
It can take up to an hour to drive from downtown to YEG in rush hour.

In a year of living downtown, it never took me more than 45 mins, even with summer construction. In the morning, roughly about 25 mins. And "how stupid people are"...? I figure you're a little older than 12, judging by your other comments of having a career.
Close the thing down, already. It's a bloody airstrip, and one in a bad location, frankly. It's not a UNESCO World Heritage site, or anything of the like. When I saw the changes (finally!) taking place at Villeneuve, then I knew it was only a matter of time that the final nail was sunk deep into the coffin.
Well thats awesome for you for getting there that fast, you must know a different way then I did. In my 2 years working between CYEG and CYXD, door to door leaving anywhere between 4-6pm would easily be an hour, going right through downtown, backed up on the high level bridge, then going through city streets that are constantly under construction. Its funny I lived at 23rd Ave. and Calgary Trail and it was at least 15 minutes from there to YEG, surely its longer then that from downtown?

And yes I am a litte older then 12, and yes stupid people! People move to an area around an airport and then complain about the noise, the pollution, etc. Any reason to close it down, the same thing is going on here at CYTZ.

And the location of CYXD is actually quite good, right downtown, and close to hospitals for medevac traffic. So now medevac traffic has to go down to CYEG and then drive all the way to the city possibly all the way downtown again?

But with a name like CYEG66 I'm sure you already know this and it won't matter cause it appears you have a hard on for the international anyway.
---------- ADS -----------
  
following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.

User avatar
cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:59 pm
Location: of my mind is in gutter.

Re: Good Bye CYXD...

Post by cyeg66 »

Mclovin wrote: Well thats awesome for you for getting there that fast, you must know a different way then I did. In my 2 years working between CYEG and CYXD, door to door leaving anywhere between 4-6pm would easily be an hour, going right through downtown, backed up on the high level bridge, then going through city streets that are constantly under construction. Its funny I lived at 23rd Ave. and Calgary Trail and it was at least 15 minutes from there to YEG, surely its longer then that from downtown?

And yes I am a litte older then 12, and yes stupid people! People move to an area around an airport and then complain about the noise, the pollution, etc. Any reason to close it down, the same thing is going on here at CYTZ.

And the location of CYXD is actually quite good, right downtown, and close to hospitals for medevac traffic. So now medevac traffic has to go down to CYEG and then drive all the way to the city possibly all the way downtown again?

But with a name like CYEG66 I'm sure you already know this and it won't matter cause it appears you have a hard on for the international anyway.
First off:
Since when is YXD located downtown?.... :roll:

Secondly:
CYXD to actual downtown can take 20-30 mins (or less, granted) depending on the time of day. I stand by my assertion that it never took over 45 mins to get to CYEG from my downtown living quarters.

Third:
Get some rudimentary facts straight. People here not complaining about noise, pollution, etc. It's Alberta, FFS. Hicks here are married to their jacked up pickups, and show only slight concern when they accidentally crush a rare Prius while driving 140 Kmh. It's the outward sprawl of the city that weighs on citizens' and councillors' minds, hence, the need to redevelop 500+ acres into living space for 30000+ people.

Fourth:
If it took you "at least" 15 mins to drive the 17 and 3/4 km's to CYEG from the Smurf building, then you're one of those shitheads responsible for driving 30 clicks below the speed limit over in the "fast lane"; Psst! That's the one over on the left.

Fifth:
You buy into that perpetually overblown Medevac bs?!? 'Nuf said.

Sixth:
My name isn't CYEG66. See, that's a screen name, a sobriquet, if you will. Is your name Mclovin? That's a pretty bizarre name. Does it mean I have a 'hard on' for the International airport? No, not really. "It" doesn't even twitch at the thought. Perhaps I selected that screen name because I happen to work in the vicinity of the airport. Perhaps. Hmmmmm.

Seventh, and finally:
I apologize if my last post came across as a little curt. However, when "gentlemen" on anonymous forums utilize terminology such as 'stupid' and 'hard on' as seemingly appropriate adjectives, then I tend to think that they've discredited their own argument through such misplaced petulance.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.

User avatar
Mclovin
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 308
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Limbo

Re: Good Bye CYXD...

Post by Mclovin »

cyeg66 wrote:
Mclovin wrote: Well thats awesome for you for getting there that fast, you must know a different way then I did. In my 2 years working between CYEG and CYXD, door to door leaving anywhere between 4-6pm would easily be an hour, going right through downtown, backed up on the high level bridge, then going through city streets that are constantly under construction. Its funny I lived at 23rd Ave. and Calgary Trail and it was at least 15 minutes from there to YEG, surely its longer then that from downtown?

And yes I am a litte older then 12, and yes stupid people! People move to an area around an airport and then complain about the noise, the pollution, etc. Any reason to close it down, the same thing is going on here at CYTZ.

And the location of CYXD is actually quite good, right downtown, and close to hospitals for medevac traffic. So now medevac traffic has to go down to CYEG and then drive all the way to the city possibly all the way downtown again?

But with a name like CYEG66 I'm sure you already know this and it won't matter cause it appears you have a hard on for the international anyway.
First off:
Since when is YXD located downtown?.... :roll:

Secondly:
CYXD to actual downtown can take 20-30 mins (or less, granted) depending on the time of day. I stand by my assertion that it never took over 45 mins to get to CYEG from my downtown living quarters.

Third:
Get some rudimentary facts straight. People here not complaining about noise, pollution, etc. It's Alberta, FFS. Hicks here are married to their jacked up pickups, and show only slight concern when they accidentally crush a rare Prius while driving 140 Kmh. It's the outward sprawl of the city that weighs on citizens' and councillors' minds, hence, the need to redevelop 500+ acres into living space for 30000+ people.

Fourth:
If it took you "at least" 15 mins to drive the 17 and 3/4 km's to CYEG from the Smurf building, then you're one of those shitheads responsible for driving 30 clicks below the speed limit over in the "fast lane"; Psst! That's the one over on the left.

Fifth:
You buy into that perpetually overblown Medevac bs?!? 'Nuf said.

Sixth:
My name isn't CYEG66. See, that's a screen name, a sobriquet, if you will. Is your name Mclovin? That's a pretty bizarre name. Does it mean I have a 'hard on' for the International airport? No, not really. "It" doesn't even twitch at the thought. Perhaps I selected that screen name because I happen to work in the vicinity of the airport. Perhaps. Hmmmmm.

Seventh, and finally:
I apologize if my last post came across as a little curt. However, when "gentlemen" on anonymous forums utilize terminology such as 'stupid' and 'hard on' as seemingly appropriate adjectives, then I tend to think that they've discredited their own argument through such misplaced petulance.

Wow thanks for the apology and implying I am "one of those shitheads". Your posts are quite condescending.

I'm not gonna get into a pissing match over the exact geographical location of the airport in the city, the best way to drive from downtown to CYEG, etc. You win anyway CYXD sounds like its closing, congratulations. :prayer:

On a personal note, I enjoyed my time flying in and out of CYXD and again it is a shame to see it go.

Over and out.
---------- ADS -----------
  
following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.

User avatar
Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:48 am
Location: Earth

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by Main Gear »

Wonder if this is a new beginning for Meigs?


September 16, 2010

Friends Of Meigs: "The Door's Open A Crack"
Email this article |Print this article
By Glenn Pew, Contributing Editor, Video Editor

Supporters are hopeful that a volatile election year, a down economy and the departure of the mayor who destroyed Meigs Field means their beloved airport may come back to Chicago, but could they possibly be right? Short answer: not likely. But. One candidate for mayor, State Senator Rickey Hendon, said Wednesday that, if elected, he would reopen Meigs Field on his first day in office. And that suggests Meigs may become a topic in the broader race. AVweb Thursday spoke with Steve Whitney, president of Friends of Meigs Field and active public supporter of the now-former airport since the mid-90s. That conversation was not all sunshine and roses for Meigs. But it showed that Hendon's comments weren't the only reason supporters might have to hope. And, for better or worse, they may now have more reason to believe than they've had in years.

BACK STORY: Seven years ago, Chicago Mayor Richard Daley had the runway at Chicago's Meigs Field destroyed without warning in the dead of night. Now, after serving as Mayor of Chicago since 1989, Daley says he'll not seek re-election at the end of his term. Whitney says Daley's departure and notorious actions at Meigs, plus Chicago's struggling economy (and President Obama's infrastructure plans), could turn Meigs into a political football in the next mayoral race. Hendon's comments support that case. As for Meigs, the case can be made that rebuilding Meigs could create near-term jobs in its construction and long-term support for local businesses. But using the ghost of the airport for political advantage during a campaign is different from tearing up a lakefront public park to reinstall an airport. For many, Meigs is a sort of Alamo for general aviation. And even if you never flew into Meigs, or don't care much about it, you may still benefit from what Whitney has to say.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/me ... MP=OTC-RSS
---------- ADS -----------
  
Never point your aircraft to some place your brain hasn't already been 5 minutes earlier.

C-206
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:19 pm
Location: Canada's true north

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by C-206 »

cyeg66,
Your driving numbers a little suspect. Why would you jump on a guy that says it takes 15min to get from his home in the south end of edmonton to CYEG. (which could be true). But from "downtown" it never took more than 45min. (maybe, but unlikely.) Do you consider the south side of the river part of downtown? Regarding Medevacs, 45min to the University hospital isn't a very good argument for closing an airport that is 5min from Edmonton's other major hospital. Yes, I know about the other hospitals, so no need to remind me. Still takes 15min to the Grey Nuns.
C-206

P.S. You better bring your A-game, because I can pretty much guarantee no one on this forum has driven the streets of Edmonton more than I. (I was a courier and a bus driver before I became a low paid bus driver up north.)

P.P.S:
cyeg66 wrote:Since when is YXD located downtown?....
It's called Edmonton City Centre Airport for a reason.

Back to the topic, It is a damn shame that private interests via the ERAA have beaten down the general public with half truths, and outright lies. Joe public is sick the debate, and don't frankly care. Worse yet is when "professional" pilots are in favour of closing down an airport, WTF?
I love when posters on Avcanada say: "In 1995, the people of Edmonton spoke, and they wanted to move traffic to CYEG" but, in 1992 the people spoke (myself included) and we wanted to keep the airport the way it was. AND WE WON.
Can those of you who have been around long enough imagine what Edmonton would be like if they didn't partially shut down CYXD, in 95'. The oil-sands, Westjet, the diamond mines, a small start up like Porter .... like I said a damn shame.
---------- ADS -----------
  

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by aviator2010 »

The ECCA has been embroiled in a fierce debate for several decades. In the 1950s, the need for a longer set of runways to accommodate the larger aircraft on the horizon was clear. With no ability to expand CYXD, the search was on for a new site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_C ... d)_Airport

please stop with the battle begining in 1992
---------- ADS -----------
  
Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010

C-206
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:19 pm
Location: Canada's true north

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by C-206 »

Okay...I'm pretty sure I didn't say the fight started in 1992.
---------- ADS -----------
  

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by aviator2010 »

DC-9s in Air Canada livery operated briefly out of YXD in the early 1980s but left due to field/weight limitations. Time Air and its later brand of Canadian Regional operated Fokker F28s and Echo Bay Mines Limited operated a private 727-100 from the field for several years. However, the demands for ever increasing range and the increased weight and runway length requirements for the next generation aircraft in these series made their use at CYXD economically and in the many cases physically impossible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_C ... d)_Airport

I love Wiki
---------- ADS -----------
  
Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010

C-206
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:19 pm
Location: Canada's true north

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by C-206 »

You like wiki, you should look up Toronto Island airport. Note what the "experts" said back in 70's and 80's, also note the runway lengths.
---------- ADS -----------
  

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by aviator2010 »

You like wiki, you should look up Toronto Island airport. Note what the "experts" said back in 70's and 80's, also note the runway lengths.
and where is albertas hub
---------- ADS -----------
  
Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010

C-206
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:19 pm
Location: Canada's true north

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by C-206 »

What are you talking about?
---------- ADS -----------
  

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by aviator2010 »

What are you talking about?
well the way airlines work is known as a hub and spoke system. the spokes are where small regional type airplanes fly they leave the hub and fly the spokes. then they return to the hub. the passengers transfer at the hub to their connecting flights now in the east, toronto's the hub for both WS and AC. In alberta that hub is in calgary. meaning if I want to fly to saskatoon from edmonton My options are POS RJ or connect thru cow town meaning I got a 6 hour ride to toon town, which after ticket plus fees is about the same as driving. with more skatoon bounders thru yeg we can move to a point to point system which in the end is better for everyone except cows town. EDIT
---------- ADS -----------
  
Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010

C-206
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:19 pm
Location: Canada's true north

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by C-206 »

Now explain that one more time. This time sober.
---------- ADS -----------
  

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by aviator2010 »

Nope, no matter what u or I say cyxd is done and I won't be upset to see it go.
---------- ADS -----------
  
Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010

Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”