Edmonton City Centre Airport

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

wrenches and radios
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by wrenches and radios »

I got laid off from my job at city center. Got 3 years left on the first term of my mortgage so hugh penilties to sell. guess I leave my wife and kids, move to the arctic, and send my pay checks to them.
---------- ADS -----------

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

or you could apply too one of the 100 jobs posted in the south in the last week on this job board (or you could apply at the international for the increaced activity their)

Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010
looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

I thought the Supreme Court just ruled that airports are a federal matter which municipal governments cannot interfere with.

SierraPoppa
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SierraPoppa »

looproll wrote:I thought the Supreme Court just ruled that airports are a federal matter which municipal governments cannot interfere with.
If the municipal government is the owner of the airport there is nothing the federal government can do about it.

That ruling was all about provincial and local governments trying to close down privately owned airports. Not about airport owners deciding to close their own airport.

seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

Ok aviator2010, I for one would like to know what your stake is in the city center airport closing. Your position is clearly that of someone who is invested in the international, but just to allow us to understand where some of these crazy perspectives come from, lets show some transparency.
I am a pilot living in BC who was hoping for a job based out of the city center airport. I have experienced the commute to the international, and I sympathize with the medevac patients who now face a longer transit time to get to a hospital.

Flying airplanes is easy, you just need to PAY ATTENTION. Finding a good job on the other hand takes experience, practice, and some serious talent.
aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

want a short commute live in leduc, nice community, nice schools. as for the paiteints we've discused that

Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010
wrenches and radios
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wrenches and radios »

so do you have a new best friend lined up for my son in Leduc too

mathias_now
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mathias_now »

Dark days seem to be coming for the airport. There may be some legal issues that could tie it up for a while longer. It's hard to say what else will come, but even so all attempts seem to be discarded with some pretty fishy political tactics. The city of Edmonton did vote, and unfortunately it seems like many were in favor of having the airport close since Mandel has been reelected. The people have now spoke, what a shame :(

MN

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Airco lost an appeal today for Summary Judgement requiring the reopening of the closed runway.

Airco can still have a trial for damages, but the court at this time feel any such damages are hypothetical.

Interestingly the judgement hints it may be necessary to apply to the feds to close an airport.

http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/jdb%5C20 ... ca0364.pdf

If I was Airco, I'd be filing for damages for impairment of operation. If the runway closure results in diversions to YEG, that's damages that could be claimed from ERAA -- transport of pax and crew, positioning flight costs, extra aircraft, office space, equipment required to handle diversions etc....

Then there's loss of business for flights that would require use of the closed runway.

ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ditar »

Hey look, I will soon be able to buy sidewalk tomatoes fertilized with 80 years of avgas! I wonder what the plan is for the tower. A cafe perhaps?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story ... gn294.html

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

<<<Hey look, I will soon be able to buy sidewalk tomatoes fertilized with 80 years of avgas! I wonder what the plan is for the tower. A cafe perhaps?>>>

It would make one hell of a greenhouse for those 'winter' tomatoes.

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

CBC -- Medevac airport move would hurt patients: report

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/sto ... uncil.html

It's gonna end up quicker for patients to fly to Calgary.

Report and press release on http://www.hqca.ca/ Recommendations include a dedicated medevac facility at YEG with facilities that permit patient transfer without exposure to the elements, dedicated roads, equipping ambulances with traffic light control, setting up an ILS at an alternate airport -- nothing that $50 million or so can't fix :smt040

Conquest Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Conquest Driver »

It's simple, or so the "close YXD" crowd would have us believe.

Convert all the King Air 200 contracts to jet contracts. Later model Citations or equivalent. The jets have to have the ability to carry YVR , YQR, or YXE as alternates. Send all Medevac traffic to Calgary. After all, Calgary has lots of spare airport capacity. Move all the medical personnel associated with Medevacs to Calgary. Set up all future advanced medical facilities in Calgary. Will the last specialized care facility in Edmonton please turn out the lights.

The closure of YXD was sold to us as providing economic advantages to Edmonton. I must have missed something here. Time for a civic election, I think. Maybe a provincial one as well.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Not to mention that they used to fly uranium ore to yxd in gunnysacks, how much radioactive contamination is there from that? would you want to live in a condo development there?

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Calgary is building their new fancy hospital on the other side of the city from the airport.

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by W5 »

rigpiggy wrote:Not to mention that they used to fly uranium ore to yxd in gunnysacks, how much radioactive contamination is there from that? would you want to live in a condo development there?
They put a hotel over top of that spot (the Nova)

r22captain
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by r22captain »

disclaimer>>I don't want to see the airport go. I worked out of there for a few years, and the place has huge historical value, and is a great asset for the city.

But I am going to play devils advocate. :twisted:

Patients aren't going to die going through YEG. If they are stable enough to survive the plane ride from "up north," they'll make the bus ride back into Edmonton. Inconvenient for everyone involved.

If they are a serious trauma/unstable then STARS will fetch them. The ride on STARS is the same length as the ambulance ride from YXD.

Most major cities are in the above situation and patients aren't being lost en-route.

It will be a sad day if/when YXD closes

slowstream
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by slowstream »

R22

I worked out of there for years too and grew up around that airport and agree it will be especially sad to see it go.

I'm tired of this argument that has been raging for years, manipulation of the facts and numbers by both sides has only pissed off the people of Edmonton and confused them to the point that they don't know what to believe anymore.

You're correct patients won't die be transferred from YEG to the city.................. BUT, it will cost the health care system and the people of Alberta A LOT MORE MONEY!!! More money than the land will generate in tax revenue!! You can be assured of that!

The cost to build a facility out at YEG, special access to HWY 2, then the cost of running an air ambulance (Helo or STARS) from YEG to the city hospitals.

I find it sad about the loss of the historical value, but the only thing remaining is the land itself and the aviation museum, all the other historical elements such has a couple of the old hangers have been torn down long ago.

I think the pro XD supporters made a mistake as promoting XD soley as the gateway to the north; they also needed to promote XD as a highly valued and important corporate airport that is needed to draw corporations to Edmonton if thats even possible anymore given the cities lack of being not very friendly towards business.

Its a bit of a double edge sword for me, sad to see it go and I know the closure will still cost many jobs but at the same time I'm sick and tired of the arguments, the lying and the fighting already!

Return to “General Comments”