Edmonton City Centre Airport

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Check Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by Check Pilot »

Here is a link regarding an attempt to stop the closure of the Muni (Blatchford) Field airport. It would be a travesty of justice if the mayor and his developer buddies shut down the gem of Edmonton City Centre Airport for their short sighted vision for the future.

I suggest you join if you care about aviation.

http://www.aviationedmonton.ca/index.php
---------- ADS -----------

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Edmonton City Centre Airport

Post by aviator2010 »

the battle has already been lost. If you think 650000 movments a year that will happen between villnuve and the international are going to support the airport your sadly mistaken. the best you can hope for is a rapid transit to the international.

it's unfortunate that the runways can't be extended in the city center and no airline is going to set up a porter like operation but accept it.

9 passengers a year just won't cut it, a new rink and a few condos in downtown and in 6 months we can try and pee on calgary from our 30 story encana tower (petro-canada is a mesaly 29 storys) but the sooner we close city center the sooner were competitive.

just my 2 cents

Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010
aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

I suggest you join if you care about aviation.
Has fox news offered you a job yet?

AEROBAT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by AEROBAT »

Thanks for posting that Check Pilot, I will contact them.

Check Pilot
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Check Pilot »

aviator 2010,

It's obvious to me that you are not a pilot nor anyone involved in the aviation business. Your blatant attack on me shows that you are some kind of apparently greedy real estate developer that's more interested in a quick profit than in preserving some of Edmonton's history. Are you one of the Mayor's developer buddies?

Your remark about FOX news shows you have a lot of interest in your own self interest and probable profit at closing the airport. It seems you have a self motivating profit interest in this whole thing, thereby ignoring anyone else involved in aviation in the Edmonton area.

You do yourself no favours by making disparaging remarks.

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

Right................because I don't agree with you I'm a communist. We'll commrade I'll bring my logbook too runway 29 tommorow if you will. 8PM?

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

Your remark about FOX news shows you have a lot of interest in your own self interest
I could not have wrote a better quote to demonstrate your bushism

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Prairie Chicken »

Thanks CP. I've been following the other thread too. I have long been a strong supporter of the Muni, and continue to be amazed that Edmonton fails to comprehend the jewel they have in the Muni. All over the civilized world cities are searching for the land to build new airports, and here in Canada we seem set on closing them. I'm thinking in particular of CYED, CYAW, & CYXD. CYXD has had a target on it's back since the inception of the EIAA. The only good news is that the Muni & it's supporters have been amazingly resiliant & the airport is still there, despite all efforts to close it. I'll support the group.

Prairie Chicken
IBPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IBPilot »

Prairie Chicken wrote:I'll support the group.
As will I, it's really a shock that the City Center Airport is going down. Seeing that YEG is quite south of the city itself, pilots going into Edmonton for lunch now and then from the north will either have to pay the crazy shuttle charges to get into downtown from YEG or find a park to land it...

I am aware of the reasons why its actually getting shut down and that really bothers me so I GIVE THIS MY FULL SUPPORT!

:smt014
Also, a comment to "Check Pilot", your original post was that these city developers are simply fulfilling their
Check Pilot wrote:short sighted vision.
for the future. I know that anyone involved in aviation is deeply sadened by this but thats what the world has, in a sense, come to. City developers with their "hyped" up visions of what they want always seem to win and ironically, they end of failing most of the time. In Panama City Beach Florida, the beach front used to contain no high rises at all (just so beautiful) and in the past 5 years, the small beach city has been turned into a Mini Miami --- now in 2010, all those high rises are empty and no one is living in them. Point being that the city has their vision, created it against the will of the city and now seeing the reward (which is not to pleasent). This is just one example and there are hundreds more out there where a City's government has a vision and everyone must bend over their backs to make it happen. IT'S STUPID AND UNJUST THAT THE CITY CAN BASICALLY DICTATE what they want because of their apparent visions but I believe that in the end, the city of Edmonton will win out any battle. I don't like it and I give this my full support but let's face reality...

Luke

Give me a mile of highway and I'll show you a mile; give me a mile of runway, and I'll show you the world!
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I thought that the Blatchford family put a covenant on the airport land when they donated it to the city?
Right................because I don't agree with you I'm a communist. We'll commrade I'll bring my logbook too runway 29 tommorow if you will. 8PM?
Communism, who brought up communism? This seems to be a group of business elites deciding to put personal profit in front of public interest - and an electorate too involved in Canadian Idol to care...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
MikeZ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MikeZ »

Say Aviator 2010, don't you post as the Edmonton Regional Airports Authority PR guy on another board? You know them...that hypocrital group that advertises we should all fly YEG instead of YYC, yet their flight movement stats show 40% of flights goto YYC??

I'm joining, and I thank Check Pilot for raising awareness of the group.

I'm hoping, at a bare minimum to remove the ERAA from their position, and let true supporters of all aspects of aviation assume control of our airports.

Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

MikeZ wrote:Say Aviator 2010, don't you post as the Edmonton Regional Airports Authority PR guy on another board? You know them...that hypocrital group that advertises we should all fly YEG instead of YYC, yet their flight movement stats show 40% of flights goto YYC??
Read most of his 70 some odd post on here. You will quickly realise that most of what he's posted is either trolls or verbal diarrhea. Just ignore them, or better yet add him as foe and you won't even see his crap anymore.

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
BibleMonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by BibleMonkey »

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/C ... story.html

" Airport fight goes to court

Airline seeks injunction to keep runways open

By David Finlayson, Edmonton JournalMarch 20, 2010

The dogfight over the future of City Centre Airport heads to court with a critical civil action on the issue expected to be heard as early as next month........"

Hopefully the lawyers can hold back the developers...we'll see what happens in April.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

If I had the $300 to spare, I would certainly support the cause.

There is an amazing amount of history at CYXD. It would be borderline criminal to destroy it.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I first flew out of the Edmonton Industrial Airport from hangar 9 on Keir Airs DC3's in 1969.....

...maybe the mistake they made was dropping the name " Industrial " ?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Jorge36
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jorge36 »

It's sad to read about the proposed closing of the Municipal in YXD although it's been going on for a long time. I learned to fly there back in 1954. My first recollection of that airport though was back in 1939. TCA had a hangar there which later was used by Gateway Aviation. My father had taken me with him to the airport and one of the mechanics in the hangar asked if I'd like to see the airplanes that were inside. I was a small child but never forgot this Lockheed 10a. I was invited to step inside and when I moved forward to the front I could see a panel with 'glowing' lights and two large steering wheels. I knew then that I wanted to operate one of these machines.
That image stayed with me all my life because it was 65 years later that I had a chance to look inside the 10a at the Western Canada Aviation museum. Looking up that aisle to the front was exactly what I remember as that little kid.

Benz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Benz »

Flybabe and others out there.

It doesn't cost $300 to join the association. The $300 fee is for businesses supporting the airport. Individual memberships are only $10.
We also hold a social on the 3rd Thursday of every month at the airport where there is free food and a cash bar. You can check the calendar on the website. You get your $10 worth if you attend once.

The main thing is to take the time to join. The association needs to build their membership list to show strength in numbers. You may download the membership form from the website and mail it in or just send an email to info@aviationedmonton.ca with your name, address and credit card number to buy a membership.

Your support is appreciated.

Eugene Strilchuk
InfinitAir

PS: Mayor Mandel announced that he is going to run for reelection this fall as he has a number of projects that need to be completed -- including the closure of the City Centre Airport. If you live in Edmonton, you know who not to vote for.

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

so whats the vision you have mine includes a $5 ride (LRT) to a truly international airport which can include aircraft larger than a A320. would I support the closure of YXD if the runways were 11000' no, edmonton doesen't have the corprate support for the infastructur. Whos going to pay for the repaving of the runways. Airco, EFC, what Kind of ARFF are we paying for. when both airports were at there peak we had 3 million movments out of edmonton when the muni closed we had 3 million movments, were not lossing any thing other than a close drive. having that replaced by a transit ride (LRT not bus) would be the Ideal situation for me.

please flame away.

what's your vision? move CN's yard/Knock down a house or 2 and extend the runways. I'm all ears

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Eugene - thanks for the clarification on that. The $300 popped out at me, obviously I misread.

$10 is definitely a lot more palatable. I'll join :mrgreen:

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
highflyer188
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by highflyer188 »

Unfortunately, I must agree with aviator2010.

I have been associated in one way or another to the "Muni" for all of my 48 years and I hate to see such history disappear. The reality is, who is going to pay the millions of dollars per year it takes to operate the airport never mind the cost of future infrastructure requirements such as the need for a new control tower.

It would seem that the money now comes form the many pockets of the taxpayers to provide the benefits of the privileged few, who now utilize the airport. I do not believe the few tenants could afford to pay the cost and lets be serious, the airlines are not returning to YXD. The Medivac debate is a mute point in my book. I have seen enough of what goes on in that sector.

As an Edmonton taxpayer, and pilot, I shall vote for Mandel.

The heritage and history of the field will be forever preserved with the Museum and Hangar.

Return to “General Comments”