Peter Shewring, Canadian aviation icon, passes on

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

kimchi1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Peter Shewring, Canadian aviation icon, passes on

Post by kimchi1 »

Peter Shewring, one of the greatest teachers and great mentors to young Canadian aviators passed away today. He was an inspiration to all of us that had the chance to spend time and learn from him. We send our condolences to his family and wish them strength. They should be very proud of what he has accomplished in his life and how many people he has touched. He has the respect and admiration of so many.

//title edit by Sulako to clarify content
---------- ADS -----------

willing to fly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Tragic News

Post by willing to fly »

He taught the Aerocourse ATPL in Calgary didn't he? If so, I remember him as a very pleasant and personable individual. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. I am sure he will be missed by many.

nimbostratus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nimbostratus »

Godspeed Peter. A true mentor of mine and a gentleman like no other.

Nimbo

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes!

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
Give him a mask and he will tell the truth." -- Oscar Wilde
MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

Sad news indeed. Taught the most amazing aero course. I will never forget the coffee we shared and the constant message he projected "Be the best you can be" A true gentleman. His family should be so proud of this man and his legacy.

Bruce Gorle
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bruce Gorle »

I first met Pete in 1966 when we were both much younger (and lighter). He has been a friend ever since and as already mentioned a great mentor and advisor to anyone starting out in aviation. My heart goes out to Akiko,Lesley Dianne and Steven. We lost a great friend and fellow pilot today.
Bruce Gorle

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I first met Pete while working for Bruce Gorle! I too was much younger (and lighter)! He has always been a friend to me, too. I'm sure there are many who could say the same; that's just the kind of guy he was.

Many don't know, that before he distinguished himself as a great pilot, outstanding mentor and teacher, and reknowned manager, he was a DJ for a country/western station. It has been years since I called him Mr. Shewring, as 'Pecos Pete' just seemed to fit him better! He was always quick with a compliment, and had a great ability to make you feel good about yourself. I don't know who I'm going to find to address me as "Commandant" now!!

I know his family, and you can rest assured that they all know what an amazing guy he was.

To use Pete's own words "I feel the 'beer level low' light coming on, so I'd best go quench myself with a few Golden Throat Charmers"!

Pete: Old cowboys never die, they just ride off into the sunset. Have a good ride, friend. You will be greatly missed...

Robin

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
winston
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by winston »

Tids, Those quotes brought a smile to my face.
A true, true mentor to aviation. First met him when he allowed me to sit in his IFR class when I was still working on my Private at Juan Air, and again for my ATPL course.

I will raise a glass tonight!
Cheers Pecos Pete

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Wow. Tragic doesnt cover it. What a terrible loss this is to our industry. Peter was truly one of the best pilots i`ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. He WAS Aerocourse, his baby, his brainchild. He got me through my IFR (written) 17 yrs ago and has always remained a friend. My condolences to his family and all his many friends.

God Speed Skipper!

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Peter Shewring, Canadian aviation icon, passes on

Post by rigpiggy »

Peter was the reason why they accused me of cheating the Saron/Samra, his course was that good. I was choked that they wouldn't let me sit them both in the AM. I enjoyed his stories of the BCGAService, and his cautionary tales, and the fact, that I could actually stayed awake during the Course. Happy Trails Pete

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

I'm sorry to hear this. :cry: Peter taught my Aerocourse, and he was absolutely fantastic - he was able to convey knowledge in a lighthearted, positive way that left me feeling good about myself, and I give him total credit for my positive exam results.

I guess the word I'm looking for is "kind", a word you really don't see used often in aviation.

Godspeed Peter, you will be dearly missed.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Peter eased a me through some of the most poisonous parts of this career, forcing real pilot knowledge, with humour and spirit, into a reluctant bush pilot. Meeting Peter was a real milestone in my life.

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

What a shock to read this, I never had the pleasure of taking any of Peters courses but we first met in the late sixties or early seventies I can't quite remember which.

He is a true loss to the industry and a benchmark for others to aspire to be.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Very sad to hear this. I only met Peter once, in YYC at an ATPL course. He was a great man, very personable and fun to be around.

Blue skies, Peter.

My condolences to family and friends.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
pitot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pitot »

R.I.P Peter! I never new him personally but flew with his son years back. I have heard nothing but great things from anyone i talk to who knew him. Condolences to his family.

P

patter
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by patter »

Include me in the long list of being Peter's students. It has been a pleasure to know him all these years. Peter always made time for a hello, how are you? What are you doing these days.
And every time I saw Peter (and we would often meet while teaching) his enthusiasm for his students and his passion for aviation was always present. We have been very fortunate to have Peter in our industry.

ehbuddy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ehbuddy »

I still have a copy of his ATR Primer from back in the early 80's.

Did his course at the Edmonton Flying Club in 1982.

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Add me to the long list of those who attended his ATPL course in YYC and thouroughly enjoyed it. Not just because he taught the subject material to get you through the exams but because he also passed along helpful hints not germane to the course but very useful to an up and coming pilot trying to make a career.

Indanao
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Indanao »

His ATPL Course, which I took in YVR 1979, was great but the greatest thing was the knowledge he conveyed and true life experiences with BCGAS.

He was like the old style aviator - a gentleman.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

I benefited from his Aerocourse in YYC as well. To this day, I refer to some skippers as "El Capitan, supremo, grande". He certainly had a gift to combine humour and knowledge in his teachings. Nice to read all the support from other colleague on this sad loss.

scot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by scot »

What a wonderful gentleman.
It was a real pleasure to attend his 3 day course in Vancouver last summer.
Education (and entertainment!)
He had obviously never lost that urge to give his students the best possible teaching.
Thanks Peter, and condolences to your family.

Return to “General Comments”