CBC talking about the JetsGo pilot paying and getting f*cked

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

North of You
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by North of You »

Well lets take the above to the next level. There are a good number of companies that still require a training bond. Lets list them and get them out in the open for all of us to stay away from. I am not experienced in other parts of Canada, but I can think of two Bearskin and Wasaya. So let’s hear it who else….
---------- ADS -----------

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

The only Jetsgo pilot's i feel sorry for are those who were laid off from elsewhere and had to decide whether to pay Leblanc or sell the house. Every pilot who left another flying job to go to Jetsgo deserves what they got. Paying 30000G to jump the line is bullsh!t.

A330
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A330 »

Rubber,

Thanks for replying during some down time you seem to have a positive outlook. I'm sure you and vast majority will recover and move on to greener things. The bond I was mentioning more related to larger companies such as Emirates, Singapore, Cathay etc.......not small outfits. Either way, if you hand over your own cash or money you secure with a bank you are asking for trouble and have to live with the consequences. You're right about ML, I was at C3 and experienced the whole disaster. This should be the last of the airline assassin. Hope you guys learn from the experience and we can improve our profession. Good luck

redbeard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by redbeard »

Now here's the really sad part; judging from comments on this forum justifying bonds up front:

If another big jet startup operation comes along and its terms are for pilots to put up a wad of cash for training there will be a ton of applicants banging at the door with money in hand. And when it folds guess who's going to be crying the blues?

Kelly Harmsworth
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Kelly Harmsworth »

[quote="LH"]K Harmsworth ------ I personally wouldn't pay you for training on anything. IF I was going to though and you required me to sign a document stating that I WAS LEGALLY REQUIRED to work for you afterwards for some pre-determined time

Ultimatly I wouldn't want a pilot to work for me if he didn't want to be there. So I would never require a work term agreement. I do agree that the bond thing that jetsgo did was wrong. If jetsgo didn't have the capital mabey it should have been set up as an emplyee owned company and the $30,000 would have been more of a stock offering.

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

Rubberbiscuit

Please accept my apologies. When I asked if we could help by writing to our MP's, I was assuming that people had finished debating this issue and we were ready to actually do something about it.

I guess we are not yet passsed the beating chest stage and will continue to beat a dead horse beyond recognition before maybe doing something. Yes maybe we do need to have the government watch out for us, because all we seem to do is talk in circles and accomplish nothing.

I for one have written to my M.P. Agree with it or not, At least I have done something.

JS

Standby for new atis message
Frogsky
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Frogsky »

Jaques---writing your MP is worth the effort. If every pilot did the same right now they would likely pay some attention. Add in safety concerns at smaller companies where you lose you job and bond if you don't fly and teh MP's might really take a look.

Even better, get a group of pilots to write the Globe, Post etc and explain the dangers of bonds. The time is ripe now and media attention will bring it to the forefront.

Return to “General Comments”