Tool of the Day!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Tool of the Day!

Post by CD »

To expand on the information from the Guide that BTD posted above, here is the information from the Act:
Prohibition

(1.1) Except as prescribed, no person shall make use of or divulge a radio-based telephone communication

(a) if the originator of the communication or the person intended by the originator of the communication to receive it was in Canada when the communication was made; and
(b) unless the originator, or the person intended by the originator to receive the communication consents to the use or divulgence.
Idem

(2) Except as prescribed, no person shall intercept and make use of, or intercept and divulge, any radiocommunication, except as permitted by the originator of the communication or the person intended by the originator of the communication to receive it.

Radiocommunication Act - Offences and Punishment
---------- ADS -----------

RVgrin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RVgrin »

PunkStarStudios wrote: I can see for private conversations there's an expectation of privacy, but in this case there is no such expectation... in fact - it's not between two radio stations - everyone is "on the line" within the vacinity...
A "Radio Station" is defined as "a place in which radio apparatus is located", which includes planes and control towers.

Non-encrypted communications are always available to anyone with a scanner, so it is not surprising that the Act makes no mention of "expectation of privacy" or "private conversation".

But, to answer your question: no, I am not sure. As I said, I am not a lawyer (IANAL). Court interpretation of law set precedents, and casual reading of relevant legislation is not sufficient.
and then there's the liveatc.net thing.
Interesting point. Although Canada isn't going after a US website on an issue like this, if someone got upset about liveatc I could see them putting pressure on the local operators relaying the signal to it.

FlaplessDork
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlaplessDork »

sky's the limit wrote:The Reg. will be on the CADORS, so let's just wait for that.

stl
Often CADOR's get it completely wrong. Remember they are preliminary information. A few of my planes have been in the CADOR's lately and were not even in the air on the dates in question. After demanding that they pull the tower tapes Enforcement came back to say that the events didn't even happen, or that the tower just picked a registration to pin it to.

The CADORs were then removed.

ScudRunner
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ScudRunner »

http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php

You can listen live, but it's not archived for CYOW :cry:

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

I never really understood why CYOW wasn't archived.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I thought this thread was going to be about a new type of Leatherman, or some decent lockwire pliers. Rats.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

lol! Me too. :D

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

Braun wrote:I never really understood why CYOW wasn't archived.
This is strictly a guess on my part but it's based on having been in 412 Sqn and it seems reasonable to me. I'm thinking that it's not archived at CYOW because that could give potential bad guys information on the movements of Stevie Wonder and his cronies as well as the GG. While I doubt any self respecting terrorist really gives a damn about them, the security weanies have to do something to keep themselves occupied. They even screened us and recorded our comings and goings from the aircraft for something like three hours prior whenever the PM or GG were going somewhere. :roll:

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

shitdisturber wrote:
Braun wrote:I never really understood why CYOW wasn't archived.
This is strictly a guess on my part but it's based on having been in 412 Sqn and it seems reasonable to me. I'm thinking that it's not archived at CYOW because that could give potential bad guys information on the movements of Stevie Wonder and his cronies as well as the GG. While I doubt any self respecting terrorist really gives a damn about them, the security weanies have to do something to keep themselves occupied. They even screened us and recorded our comings and goings from the aircraft for something like three hours prior whenever the PM or GG were going somewhere. :roll:
You're probably right! Didn't think of that!

As for what happened how do most pilots feel about flying into controlled airspace, particularly Class D and being issued instructions? If one reads the definition of Class D airspace it says clearly: ATC WILL PROVIDE CONFLICT RESOLUTION BETWEEN VFR AND IFR AIRCRAFT WORKLOAD PERMITTING. Obviously the workload permitted it if the controller in question took action.

It's sort of confusing as to why a pilot would react this way...anyone?

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

Doesn't matter how one feels about it, the CARs are very clear.
Compliance with Air Traffic Control Instructions and Clearances

602.31 (1) Subject to subsection (3), the pilot-in command of an aircraft shall

(a) comply with and acknowledge, to the appropriate air traffic control unit, all of the air traffic control instructions directed to and received by the pilot-in-command; and

(b) comply with all of the air traffic control clearances received and accepted by the pilot-in-command and

(i) subject to subsection (2), in the case of an IFR flight, read back to the appropriate air traffic control unit the text of any air traffic control clearance received, and

(ii) in the case of a VFR flight, read back to the appropriate air traffic control unit the text of any air traffic control clearance received, when so requested by the air traffic control unit.

Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SRV »

No CADOR in the system for this one!

Couldn't Stand the Weather
HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

Oh my god....this is hilarious!

I was very surprised to see that there was no CADORS for this incident so I thought I'd do my own little investigation. After searching the registration and then googling the owner...the pilot was...

...wait for it....

The Acting Director of Aerodromes and Air Navigation...

Wow! What an incredible tool! Funny thing is, a friend of mine (who also overheard the conversation) described the incident to someone higher up in Transport than this guy and the Transport guy said that the pilot would probably be getting a fine and a violation.

Wow, wonder how quickly this can get swept under the rug...

Waiting for this post to be pulled in ...3...2...1...

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

Just to clarify my previous post.

The offending pilot was the Acting Director of Aerodromes and Air Navigation in the early 2000's...I'm not sure what his current position is or if he still works for Transport Canada

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Retired but apparently still has a lot of "influence".

MrWings
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MrWings »

HavaJava wrote:The offending pilot was the Acting Director of Aerodromes and Air Navigation in the early 2000's...I'm not sure what his current position is or if he still works for Transport Canada
Sounds like he shortened that previously long title to prick.

The Tool
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by The Tool »

I take offence to this thread as it infringes on my moniker :wink: I got upset at first thinking twas about me :-

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

It's all who you know.

ktcanuck
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ktcanuck »

Amazing what Google will allow you to find from just a job title isn't it. Name, address, phone number. Scary!

mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

OK, So.....Widow or Cat..........are you going to take this one to the press?

Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

No one cares.

It's pretty hard to disappoint a Canadian about his government.

This thread censored in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Return to “General Comments”