Left the industry/considered it/or know someone who did?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

1coolav8r
Rank 1
Rank 1

Left the industry/considered it/or know someone who did?

Post by 1coolav8r »

If you have already left the aviation industry, considered leaving at one point, or know someone who left for a different career...what else would you do?

I'm asking because lately I have been losing faith in this line of work, which is easy to do...Especially when all other pastures look greener around me. I have friends making ridiculous amounts of more money than me, with less education, a "normal" work schedule, benefits, etc etc. We've all heard it before. Many of them don't like their jobs and some like them. They "work to live" one might say, because they actually have time off to enjoy all that hard earned money. But the reality is in my case, it is more of a "work to work" situation with not much opportunity to change that scenario. I haven't been working in the industry for that long (5+ years), but how the hell do you go on your whole life living like this?

I have been exploring different career paths, some of which would probably let me afford to buy my own plane at one point down the road. That means giving up the "dream" of flying for a living when I have already put this much into it. I'm not in my 30's yet, but they are sneaking up on me.

So back to the original question? If you have already left the aviation industry, considered leaving at one point, or know someone who left for a different career...what else would you do?

I appreciate serious discussion on this matter, because I am sure a lot of us have been like this at one point or another.
---------- ADS -----------

pilotman15
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Left the industry/considered it/or know someone who did?

Post by pilotman15 »

Ever consider ATC? Would be #1 for me if I chose to leave flying. From what I hear/see, controllers can do pretty well for themselves and have the time off to enjoy their very nice earnings.

angry inch
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by angry inch »

I know of a handful of engineers & pilots who went to BC Ferries & are doing well.. The pay & benefits are decent & the time off is awesome.

IBPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IBPilot »

pilotman15 wrote:Ever consider ATC? Would be #1 for me if I chose to leave flying. From what I hear/see, controllers can do pretty well for themselves and have the time off to enjoy their very nice earnings.
I know a friend of a friend who was a flight instructor and was not happy with his life. Making a living with 3 small children and a wife was not working for him. Even though he never really worked any night shifts, he still hated the amount of green that he made with all the work and effort that he did. Spent 1000's of dollars on his instructor rating, single IFR and simply left flying as a career and became a VFR Air Traffic Controller.

In my opinion, from the people I know and the discussions I have had in the past with several individuals in the flying business, unless your working for a airline like Westjet or AC, you're not making enough money to stick in your eye. Now of course there are exceptions but for the average Joe, it seems that the money that is to be made is in the flightdeck of a A320. And we all know how long it takes to make it to that point.--- more than just a few years.

What I would suggest is to leave flying for recreation and career wise, checkout NAV CANADA and the field of Air Traffic Controllers. By far, IFR Air Traffic Controllers probably make the most green in all. Check out NAV Canada's link for ATC... It's quite informative and interesting.

http://takecharge.navcanada.ca/

Good Luck in the future and PM if you have any questions. I have a few contacts in the business of keeping our skies safe

Cheers

Give me a mile of highway and I'll show you a mile; give me a mile of runway, and I'll show you the world!
Lurch
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Lurch »

I left the industry in '01 and I hated almost every moment of it. I came back in '05 and haven't regretted it. I still make less money then I did but I love what I do. I couldn't imagine going back to a 9-5 office job, I regretted waking up every morning and having to go to work. I counted the days until the weekend and always was watching the clock. Now I only know the day of the week to keep my sched in order and can work a 12 hour day and still have trouble leaving the airport, I'm happy driving to work, and I'm happy when I get home.

The Industry is a tough one and if you aren't enjoying it leave. I thought I'd be able to fly whenever I wanted but the number of flights I did in my years off didn't even fill one page of my logbook. I never seemed to have the time or energy to get out to the airport. I know quite a few people who work else where and make Millions but they never seem to have the time and are never truly happy with the job, they just like the money. I wouldn't trade my 5 digit salary for their 7 figure any day, well maybe just for a month. :wink:

I don't know what I would do if I had to leave again?

Lurch

Take my love
Take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care
I'm still free
You cannot take the sky from me
ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ditar »

Every winter I think about leaving the aviation industry to go back to my former life in the computer industry. This is mostly because it might allow me to move to some warm place like California. After having put up with northern Alberta winters for most of my life, I'd quite happily never see one again. But then I remember the reason I got into aviation in the first place, which was that I didn't want to spend my life in front of a computer screen. I am fortunate to have a well-paying job that I enjoy, where I get lots of time off to travel (to warmer places) and do other things, at an operator that treats me well. The conundrum is that it's in a place where I don't want to stay forever, and anywhere I go from here will probably involve a sizeable pay cut. Nonetheless, in spite of many long days and nights, ever since I started flying for a living I still feel as though I've never really worked a day. In that sense I feel pretty lucky, so it would be pretty hard to give that up, even to move some place warm.

1coolav8r
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 1coolav8r »

Thanks for the comments so far guys, that's what I'm looking for.
I'm not saying I do not like my job, because that is not true. I actually like the job itself, it's mostly the part where I don't have the ability to have a life outside of work that bothers me. You only live once as far as I know, and I'd like to have a little but of fun outside of work at one point or another! The ATC thing crossed my mind once or twice and it interests me, but that opens up the possibility of living in butt $&^ nowhere for years at moments notice...and trust me I've been there, done that!
All hope is not lost on my end, I'm just curious to see what others have done in the past

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

Better redefine your "dream", its pretty vague for a broad reaching field. Better focus will allow you to make a better decisions. Many people make life decisions based on the 'comfort factor' - better the devil we know, than to move on to the unknown. So you don't mind the job but...something isn't right is it?

Do you love airlines, commuter, charter, bush, instructing?
Do you love just flying?
Is flying work?
Do you love other things?

Ask, what else do I enjoy doing? Swinging a hammer? Turning a wrench?

Although I've had some good moments flying for a living, the most fun I had was when flying general aviation, for myself; where I want, when I want. Maybe you would be happier doing something else that allows you to enjoy flying for its own sake.

Bottom line is if you are in a rut now, maybe it is not a career change you need as much as it is making the decision NOT to put up with 'just ok' any more.
1) Figure out what you really want,
2) Take steps to get there,
3) Review, take a new path if needed,
4) Repeat, as long as required to get to that in step 1.

Good Luck

Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

I left the industry after 9/11, got back in in 2006 and I still debate whether or not it was the right decision. During my time out of the industry I was a starving college student, so getting into aviation was sadly... a pay raise lol. If I was 17 again and about to start flying lessons I would give my self the following advice.

"Go get a PPL, then off to dentist school" but I'm 29 now, I'm past the "first job" stage of flying, all the licenses and ratings are paid for, I'm going to stick it out now.

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I haven't flown in 17 months, it really sucks. However I was just accepted as an Officer in the Army (wanted Pilot in the airforce but was offered Armoured Corps) Took that as i had nothing on the horizon. I leave for the Royal Military College in August. I'll have a shot at aircrew again but even if I don't make aircrew i think this was the right decision.

ScurvyDog
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ScurvyDog »

I left the industry for approx 5 years. I was in my early thirties when I left and went on to a totally unrelated career. At first I loved the idea of working 8-5 Monday to Friday with weekends off and making 2x what I did in aviation but it quickly wore on me. I really missed being in a cockpit. I now had the dilemma of explaining to my wife I wanted to take a pay cut and work 6-7 day weeks away from home. Surprisingly she went for it because she knew I hated my job. Back to aviation I came and now I make 1/2 the money work 6-7 day weeks and some extremely long days. 2.5 years in I still love my job. Wish I could find a higher payed job, with a few less hours a week, but still love it. The reason is I took a break and worked a normal job. Every day I get pissy at flying I think of being at my previous job hating every second of it. Good luck with your decision. It is not an easy to walk away but sometimes it helps to take a break to see what you are missing.

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

Took that as i had nothing on the horizon.
Recruiting trick. We need people in - no surprise - combat arms, offer that. Armoured Corps is code speak for Tank driver, quite a difference from cockpit. The Air trades are always the first choice of most (sane) people and they fill fast.

Don't get me wrong, Military is a great career but if you really want Air Force pilot, why not 'stick' until they offer it, only a matter of time. Then if the flying doesn't work out you can still go the other route.

Either way - best of luck.

(FWIW, I'm looking at re-enrolling at 48, air trade, haven't decided yet.)

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I passed aircrew selection and everything. So I can try for occupational transfer while i'm still in RMC and yes i know what Armoured officer is. It was my second choice.

1coolav8r
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 1coolav8r »

Awesome posts so far guys. And thanks bushav8r you laid it out pretty good.

It seems that those who left and returned did it because they were missing being in the cockpit and flying, not for the lifestyle or money of course. After all, thats why we got into this in the first place right?

highlander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by highlander »

I have been in this industry for 18 years and on more than one occassion I have thought of pulling the plug on it. Truth be told the grass may appear greener on the other side but.........

IMHO- Don't ever pick a career only for the $.....it will make you down. Do something that you love to do. Guess what?- there will always be someone in a similar job making more money than you. Doesn't matter what you do.

When I first started, I was making 25,000 year (gross). My brother, was making over 80,000. I was jealous, miserable and wondered why I wasn't in the commerce sector like him......but he was jealous of me! Why? Because I loved what I was doing. Although his compensation was very good, he was miserable with the schedule and lifestyle.

Sometimes we have good days bad days, good weeks bad weeks, good months bad months.....you get the picture. We all do. But don't be too quick to give up.....ask yourself, "If I leave this career, will I look back on it with regret?" If you think you might spend even an inkling wondering what would have been-you will have a hard time getting over it.

I've been layed off from jobs, turned down by major airlines, and not so major ones ;) and finally found a company where I fit it.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I've considered it at times, but never seriously.

I try to live my life objectively. It is not how much money I make, but how much I enjoy my life overall. I asked myself, if I won the lottery, what would I do with my time? I answered, travel, fly airplanes, and rebuild aircraft. I haven't done too much of the first thing recently, since I have two little ones to drag around, but I do the other two as my occupation. So I get paid to do what I love, and when I am not at my primarily 9-5 job (10-2 some days, 8-10 others), I can pursue other hobbies.

Most people getting into flying (or fixing) don't realize the first problem with aviation. Planes are wonderful modes of transportation that can take you fast and far. This usually means the faster (and supposedly 'cooler') your aircraft, the more likely you are going to be spending nights away from home. It's great for the young, single, adventure set; but not for a successful marriage or family life (YMMV). Me, I fly small Cessnas so I am home every night.

As far as money goes, it is what you make of it. I find that people who don't have much of an education and make tons of money go through it quite quickly. A relative of my wife's is in a secure, fairly well-paying IT position. A few years ago he was only a few dollars from overdrawing his last overdraft, having maxed out the line of credit, all the credit cards, and blown their savings and equity in their house simply trying to keep up with the Joneses.

I do alright pay wise and work for good people on decent equipment in a beautiful part of the world. Could it be better? Sure. But I am not going to be chasing the green grass that winds up not being so green when you get there. I have had people from all walks of life tell me my job is the coolest in the world.

So, does the dentist have the nicest plane on the field? Yes. Does he fly it often? No. Does he enjoy his job as much as I enjoy mine? Maybe, but I don't know of too many people who want to get into dentistry for the experience...

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
ajet32
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ajet32 »

SOMETIMES, HECK ALOT OF THE TIME THIS JOB OR THIS CAREER JUST SUCKS. However when all is said and done, when you pull through the top of the clouds and the sun is shining and all the rest of the folks are down there in the rain. You say OK this is why I do it. If it is just about money then your in the wrong job no matter what you do, if you really love the job a lot of shit just slides. I've been doing this for 25 years in everything from C185 to B737NG and I can't imagine doing anything else.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

I've tried leaving before. I do Network Engineer / IT work on the side sometimes but haven't been able to get a steady job doing it. Somehow I always end up back Airside.

Ops isn't a bad spot to be either.

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

A good friend of mine used to drive a lear for the BC Government air service. When they decided to shut it down, he was offered a job doing fraud investigations for the BC government (welfare). This happened to him in the mid 90s and to this day, he will call me to tell me how much he hates his new job. Yes, there is alot of time off and the pay and hours are great. The problem is he hates the job. For me, id rather do I job i LOVE and be paid less for it, then to do a job I hate and be paid well for it. It all comes down to what best for your personal situation. I thought about quitting the industry about a dozen times, but when it came time to actually doing it, I couldnt picture myself doing anything else and I stayed. No regrets here. The only thing I regret is dragging my family from place to place "chasing the dream". It was not fair to my kids to make them start a new school every year and usually in a completely new province. To me though the long hours & hard work all ended with me going home to my family most days. That truly helped! If you have a family that supports your career choice, then that is half the battle. I have been out of the industry for over a yr now and havent flown since May 14 2008 when i crashed a DHC2. I miss aviation everyday and just recently was offered a spot back in the industry that im going to take. If rehab continues to go well, I may even hold a Cat 1 again! To me, its my one major goal to get my Cat 1 back and flyyyyyyyyy. Once aviation gets in your blood, its hard if not impossible to ever replace it. Some people can walk away without ever looking back. For most though, aviation is a lifelong commitment. It really boils down to whether you LOVE flying or do it as just a job. That will dictate whether your departure will be permanent or not.
Best of luck in all your future decisions.

Fly safe all

magyar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by magyar »

When people enter flight school i think a good ratio of people who actually go through with it as a career is say mabe 1-2 in every 30 people. lets face it, not everyone was meant to be a pilot for ever. mabe some were meant to just learn how to solo, some mabe to get a rec or priv permit, some just a cpl, and IFR, ATPL, whatever... some maybe are meant to enjoy the dream for a bit longer to fly as a flight instructor or to work for a small or large company after for an x period of time.
The thing is, if people have had enough of the industry than they have had enough(if you all know what i mean :lol: ) then again you might not know what i mean because you have been blessed to have it workin for ya.

My personal story right now is i have been in it for about 10yrs. worked the ramp lived the northern life, traveleved to the usa and fell in love with those beautiful approach lights and all the other beauties and downsides. I finally ended up with a job as a jump pilot after 10 years and well, lets put it this way, i am still not going to get paid for it this season in cash :roll: I am now considering on being a cook/chief or something that i can enjoy and where people respect me and where i fit in.

It is different for everybody but let me say this much. People, if its not workin out or you are considering something else besides pilot...DO IT!

thank you for starting this thread, and let it be at least a consideration for all...

Return to “General Comments”