GA in Halifax?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

skybugg
Rank 0
Rank 0

GA in Halifax?

Post by skybugg »

I'm contemplating to move to Halifax this fall (PhD). I'm about to go for my FAA commercial in a couple of weeks, planning to take the conversion tests in the summer, and start working for an instructor rating in NS Sept/Oct. I'm wondering how the GA situation in and around Halifax is: based on some online research, it seems Halifax International is not really a GA friendly airport.... does this mean I actually need to commute all the way to Waterville or Debert to rent or base a plane? anything going on in Stanley? any feedback welcome.

thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: GA in Halifax?

Post by Prairie Chicken »

You are correct. There are no flight schools at CYHZ or at Shearwater; people drive to either Debert or Waterville. The Truro Flying Club at Debert seems to be the most popular/stable flying school in the area although there was one well established school at Waterville too. There may still be g/s offered at the Nova Scotia Community College in Dartmouth but no flying. I've never heard of rental a/c at Stanley.

I wouldn't say that Halifax isn't GA friendly--just no flight schools have survived there. I know of at least one fellow who kept his light a/c there so basing at HZ is possible.

Good luck!

Prairie Chicken
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

I'm pretty disappointed with the GA situation in Halifax. As Praire Chicken mentioned, the closest place to actually rent planes is Waterville or Debert. I've flown out of Waterville once and visited Debert once and I was impressed by the friendliness of both places. I was a student in Halifax and that's not exactly a high paying position, so when you factor in cost of flying, an 1+15 to 1+30 driving time each way + gas, it becomes a pretty expensive proposition. There are some people who base their planes at YHZ and there is a COPA flight http://www.copanational.org/copaFlights ... a%20scotia that may have individual aircraft owners.

The good news is that apparently the NS Air Show will be back at Shearwater this year.

skybugg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skybugg »

thanks for the feedback guys. glad to hear CYHZ might be an option - one obvious alternative to the 'commute-to-rent' lifestyle would be to base a plane there, although I heard about some quite discouraging landing and ramp fees... the apparent lack of interest by Avitat didn't help either (manager didn't bother responding to my inquiry for ramp/hangar space).

guess I'll ask the airport directly about ramps/tiedowns, see if I can hammer out a deal with them.

hairdo
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by hairdo »

GA isn't really liked much by the FBO's in YHZ for some reason. Controllers are always friendly, regardless of what you're flying, so I always look forward to flights down there. I don't recall there being any landing fees (for GA anyway), though the ramp fees are rediculous.

Gravity lands us, we just make it look good.
Luscombe
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Luscombe »

You're right, no landing fees. The airport wanted to levy fees a few years ago, but they struck a deal with the local COPA Flight 60 who agrees to pay a flat rate each year so that they will not charge said fee. They raise the funds locally via donations.

If you're looking for rentals though, Debert and Waterville are your choices since the Halifax Flying Club and Shearwater don't exist anymore. The website for Debert is http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/tfc/ and phone number is 902-662-2228, Waterville is http://www.flygfc.com/ and phone number is 888-336-8393.

Enjoy.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

I trained and instructed at both locations 12 years ago. Both are very nice locations, Quick flight to the training areas and the feel of the airports was very laid back and the scenery is beautiful.
I have no current information, but if I were to recommend a school I would slightly lean towards Waterville just because I am partial to the airport, and it was a quicker drive from where I lived in Sackville. That said I do think Debert has a better setup and is more stable.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
skybugg
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skybugg »

great - thanks again. my first pref is a deal with CYHZ if I can get away with a reasonable tiedown/ramp fee (although I heard one of the FBOs charged like $50 PER NIGHT for a transient, now come on....), and then Waterville or Debert. btw...either of those has hangars, or tiedowns only?

Knotty
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Knotty »

There is hangar space available at CCW4. Stanley Sport Aviation runs the show there and it’s a real sweet spot to hang your flight jacket.

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

The Waterville airport was closed by the Municipality of Kings 1 April of 2016. A committee of aviators negotiated Canadian Forces Base Greenwood to relocate local airport operations there. The necessary agreements and approvals will be finalized in 2016. The County of Kings signed a lease with Department of National Defence and sub-lease to the Freedom Aviation Society who were to administer general aviation at 14 Wing, C.F.B. Greenwood.

Return to “General Comments”