"Legally, you can say, no I don't want to fly"

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Romantic Lung
Rank 2
Rank 2

"Legally, you can say, no I don't want to fly"

Post by Romantic Lung »

Some flights resume despite ash cloud, but is it safe?

Deustche-Wellle
April 20, 2010

Pilots bear the ultimate responsiblity under "visual flight" conditions
Some airlines in Germany have resumed flights under special conditions. Airlines have accused aviation experts of exaggerating the risk posed to planes by the volcanic ash, but is it really safe to fly right now?

On Tuesday, Germany's two biggest airlines announced they would resume flying many of their regularly scheduled flights, despite an ongoing no-fly rule in German air space, by operating under special "visual flight" conditions.

Under the visual flight rules, airlines are permitted to fly below 3,000 meters (9,800 feet) during daylight, as long as pilots use their own radar and eyesight to avoid other planes.

Germany's national airline Lufthansa announced it would carry more than 15,000 passengers on some 200 flights on Tuesday. Air Berlin, Germany's second largest carrier, was operating a nearly full flight schedule, according to its website.

The flights were operating through a loophole in the aviation regulations, said Christine Kellek of Germany's flight safety organization (DFS). The closure of airspace only applies to aviation that relies on ground control and navigation instruments, according to Kellek.

Many stranded passengers were forced to sleep in airports

"The German air navigation services cannot forbid flying by visual flying rules, because we regulate instrument flights, so it is not up to us to decide if somebody can fly under visual flying rules or not," Kellek told Deutsche Welle.

Pressure on pilots

But while these flights may be allowed, not everyone supports the idea.

Juerg Handwerg, a pilot and spokesperson for the German pilots' union Cockpit, said he thinks the decision to allow planes to operate on visual flight was fuelled by financial considerations.

"They are avoiding the international rules they signed themselves by flying under visual flight rules," said Handwerg. "It's due to monetary reasons."

It puts unfair pressure on pilots, he added.

"Legally, you can say, no I don't want to fly, but if your employer tells you to fly and you say no, you can get thrown out. So how can you decide not to fly?" Handwerg told Deutsche Welle.

An expensive problem

In the past, volcanic ash has been known to cause problems with aircraft. Following last week's eruption in Iceland, Air France, British Airways, KLM and Lufthansa reported no problems from their own test flights, but senior US military officials said the ash had caused some engine damage to a NATO F-16 fighter plane.

Scientists from the German Aerospace Centre (DLR) carried out a four-hour test flight Monday to measure the cloud's density and composition. The results have been submitted to transportation authorities in Berlin, who will decide whether or not it's safe to fly in German airspace, according to Karl Hinterleitner of the DLR.

Volcanic ash drifting across the Atlantic forced the cancellation of flights across Europe

After several days of flight cancellations, the airlines are itching to see a return to business as usual, as flight disruptions are costing them as much as 200 million euros ($270 million) per day. Experts say it's hard to know when the situation will return to normal, leaving policy makers walking a difficult line between trying to minimize the economic impact of further flight suspension and the potential risk of flying through volcanic ash.

Author: Sarah Harman
Editor: Susan Houlton
---------- ADS -----------

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: "Legally, you can say, no I don't want to fly"

Post by Dust Devil »

Every decision that is made in business when you get down to it is for monetary reasons.

Last edited by Widow on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to remove unnecessary quote
//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Back to our regularly-scheduled programming: I would refuse. Why would you think it is safe to place pilots in a totally unfamiliar environment and not expect some compromise in their ability to operate without loading up the hazards? Bird strikes? C152s without transponders? Gliders? RA without any air below? Terrain warnings? Mountain waves, turbulence, spilled coffee? How do you expect me to read the morning paper if I have to look out the window?

Last edited by Widow on Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to remove reference to unnecessary quote
"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
mcrit
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by mcrit »

VFR is a loop hole? :?:

Rank 8

Post by crazy_aviator »

This must be a belated April fools joke,,, VFR in busy europe ,(Germany ),UNCONTROLLED , by airlines ,,,,,,How can any captan with 200 pax behind him condone such a thing in this age ?

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

VFR aside, if some of these airlines don't start turning the blades, there may not be any airlines. With the money loss in the last few days, this is a distinct possibility.
It's "fly or die"....hopefully mot, "fly and die..."

Koizie1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Koizie1 »

VFR is day only in Europe is it not?

Return to “General Comments”