Air Mikisew shut down?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Skydrvr7
Rank 2
Rank 2

Air Mikisew grounded; few details

Post by Skydrvr7 »

http://fortmcmurraytoday.com/ArticleDis ... ?e=2546500

Air Mikisew grounded; few details
Posted 1 hour ago

A local airline is currently not flying in or out of Fort McMurray.

Air Mikisew, which serves Fort McMurray, Edmonton and the remote community of Fort Chipewyan, was not flying as of this morning.

Representatives confirmed the airline was currently not in operation, but would not elaborate further.

Calls to operations manager Graham Davis were not returned by deadline.

Established 27 years ago, according to its website, Air Mikisew has a fleet of 10 aircraft and employs over 60 people working as pilots, maintenance personnel, paramedics, nurses and support staff.

Air Mikisew says it transports 25,000 passengers annually, with an additional 2,000 chartered flights a year.

The airline charters flights for executives, government forestry, crew locations and freight and also provides aeromedical services to Alberta's Ministry of Health services.

— Today staff
---------- ADS -----------

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Air Mikisew grounded; few details

Post by 2R »

Any more info ?

Skydrvr7
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Skydrvr7 »

The only other news I have been able to glean is that they may have fractured a regulatory item and that they may be shut down for about a month or so...there doesn't seem to be anything else being said which is odd. It would be to their credit to let their customers know what is happening to some extent. Saying nothing only feeds the rumour mill.

gabo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Air Mikisew shut down?

Post by gabo »

Whats going on over at Air Mikisew, i was just in YMM today and i heard that transport shut them down. Any truth to this?

ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Air Mikisew shut down?

Post by ditar »

My understanding was that the AMO got suspended. In the meantime they're using various aircraft from other operators to fly their routes. I was told they expect it to take around 30 days to sort out.

lost in the north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lost in the north »

Whats going on,there seems to be alot of 703 compinies shut down by transport recently,it sounds like they are on a witch hunt and 99% of the problems are paper work.It seems they want the ops.manager and C.P in the office doing paper work instead of the flight line.This will not work for all the small mom and pop operations.This will force alot of small essential companies out of work.Where are the days that if they found something wrong you had 30 days to fix it,now they pull your oc right away.This will affect everyone...the banks will stop lending money to buy planes,pilots out of work,alot of bankrupt companies,alot of communities will not have service to hunt,travel to other reserves,etc....what are your thoughts?

flap16
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flap16 »

lost in the north wrote:Whats going on,there seems to be alot of 703 compinies shut down by transport recently,it sounds like they are on a witch hunt and 99% of the problems are paper work.It seems they want the ops.manager and C.P in the office doing paper work instead of the flight line.This will not work for all the small mom and pop operations.This will force alot of small essential companies out of work.Where are the days that if they found something wrong you had 30 days to fix it,now they pull your oc right away.This will affect everyone...the banks will stop lending money to buy planes,pilots out of work,alot of bankrupt companies,alot of communities will not have service to hunt,travel to other reserves,etc....what are your thoughts?
Here's what I think:

1) The ratio of 703 operators that have been shut down to the total number in operation is small. It's nice to see TC taking action on something for a change. (Although I know nothing about Mikisew and whether it was deserved). Now if only they would address more important items like our pathetic duty time and time free from duty regulations.

2) Of the 703s that I can remember being "shut down" by TC, they were all related to mx and not neglectful CPs. (I'm sure that is not always the case)

3) If 703 operators can't follow the rules, then they shouldn't be operating anyway. Buh-bye.

4) These communities will always have service to hunt and travel. If the demand is there, there will always be companies around to do the work in a safe and legal manner...for the right price.

As for Mikisew, I hope they manage to appease TC and get the employees back to work.

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by The Old Fogducker »

I recall seeing a segment of an interview with the new TC boss, Martin Eley saying if a company holds an AOC, they will be compliant with the regulations. Non-compliance means no AOC ... that simple.

Unfortunately there is a widespread opinion that a company can't stay in business being compliant ... which is pure, solid gold, certified BS.

There were several 703 OCs "popped" in Manitoba and Saskatchewan last month too.

While "paperwork" may be seen by some as having nothing to do with running "a safe operation" it would seem that TC's new marching orders would dictate otherwise.

I hope all operators currently under a Notice Of Suspension return to the skies quickly and from here on out maintain at least the minimum standard required by law.

In a lot of these cases, some time spent with a consultant doing a PVI would have caught most of the issues before Transport arrived on site......would have been cheap insurance relative to the lost gross revenues, and injury to the company's goodwill I'd say.

Also, it shouldn't hurt to have an external set of eyes look at a company's systems from time to time.

The Old Fogducker

Carrier
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Carrier »

Quote: "There were several 703 OCs "popped" in Manitoba and Saskatchewan last month too."

Who else has been shut down?

FDM
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FDM »

Last edited by FDM on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldncold
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by oldncold »

[quote]My understanding was that the AMO got suspended. In the meantime they're using various aircraft from other operators to fly their routes. I was told they expect it to take around 30 days to sort out[/quote]

If you look on the maintenance forum the thread about lack of a dom or an infraction related to not having qualified personal in place seems to have some legitamcy to that. for when 30 days after a dom resigns an oc holder has to have a candidate in place, other wise the oc is suspended .

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Well, if Transport Canada is finally diverting budget and resources to the inspectors and mandating the inspectors actually inspect and enforce for compliance instead of what has been happening - YAY for change. It's been a long time coming. Those who operate in good conscience, with ethics and within prescribed standards have nothing to fear and everything to gain. Maybe those who don't will finally get what they deserve.

Now if we could just get some protections in place to ensure the law is interpreted equally and fairly across the board.... and an official mediation agency legally empowered to resolve discrepancies without bias... maybe we could have industry deserving of respect.

For those who seek help to be within compliance I'd be glad to be of service - pm for details.

Cheers,
Kirsten B.

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
lost in the north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lost in the north »

did courtesy air get shut down?

Randleman
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Randleman »

Mission-Air was shut down.

Dust Devil
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Dust Devil »

oldncold wrote:If you look on the maintenance forum the thread about lack of a dom or an infraction related to not having qualified personal in place seems to have some legitamcy to that. for when 30 days after a dom resigns an oc holder has to have a candidate in place, other wise the oc is suspended .
I had a TC inspector tell me once too that the 30 day thing is a courtesy. TC can shut you down immediately if you don't have the proper people in place without 30 days notice if they so choose. I'm thinking that would be a very rare thing though.

//=S=//

A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed
bob sacamano
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bob sacamano »

When will keystoned be shut down?

:smt109
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I recall seeing a segment of an interview with the new TC boss, Martin Eley saying if a company holds an AOC, they will be compliant with the regulations. Non-compliance means no AOC ... that simple.

Unfortunately there is a widespread opinion that a company can't stay in business being compliant ... which is pure, solid gold, certified BS.
During my bottom-feeder days in Canadian aviation I was told this in direct terms or in indirect terms (we aren't Air Canada) numerous times. It is good to see that there is evidently a new attitude in Transport, as evidenced by recent enforcement and I hope will continue.

Competing against a company that is not compliant only makes it more difficult for those who follow the rules to stay in business. I firmly believe that there are two reasons why people follow rules:

1) Because it clearly makes good economic sense (by spending $1 we end up saving $2); or
2) Because there is a good chance of getting caught and the penalties are severe.

After years of a good chance of getting caught and the high fines, points and increase on insurance premiums has created a society of very complaint motorists in British Columbia.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Carrier
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Carrier »

It's interesting to note that Transport Canada is attacking some of the better air operators. These operators have the approval of Alberta's health service for air ambulance provision and/or of major mining companies such as Cameco and Areva for transport of mine crews and executives. Some might also be approved by Contrails Aviation Safety for the oil and gas industry. One would expect the fly-by-night operators to be shut down rather than those air operators with good reputations who are inspected and approved by other organisations that audit air operators for safety. What is the real motive behind these TC actions?

Shutting down Air Mikisew must also have shut down the Alberta Air Ambulance Service fixed-wing aircraft based in Fort McMurray. Air Mikisew is the contractor there for Alberta Health Services or Alberta Health & Wellness or whatever they are called and operates a King Air 200 to fulfil this. Does this mean Fort McMurray area critical patients now have to wait for an air ambulance to arrive from somewhere else such as Lac La Biche, Fort Vermillion or Edmonton? Unnecessary delays could cause patient deaths. If another air ambulance has been temporarily deployed to Fort McMurray then that leaves a gap elsewhere, so someone living elsewhere might die because an air ambulance for their area has been temporarily moved to Fort McMurray. Similarly if an air ambulance based elsewhere has had to do a Fort McMurray evacuation on behalf of the grounded air ambulance then it is not available for emergency flights from its home base. Is it more important to Transport Canada to have some minor paperwork in order rather than save patients' lives?

The Fort McMurray Today newspaper report did not mention the loss of Alberta Air Ambulance Service. Did their reporter not do a proper investigation into the full implications of shutting down Air Mikisew?

Has TC set its own house in order? If not, then this campaign smacks of one rule for you and a different one for us, or do as I say, not as I do. A double standard is not acceptable! Regular readers will know well the complaints by . ., Widow and others regarding TC's deficiencies. In some cases TC employees from the former Director General downwards have been publicly named and shamed. If these public complaints were without merit then defamation actions would have been commenced long ago. The lack of action by TC and the named persons indicates that they accept the complaints as being true. How then can one depend on an organisation of acknowledged dubious competence and integrity to fairly and impartially apply the rules and regulations? Remember that the services formerly provided by the grounded air operators are now being provided by their competitors. Was this grounding motivated by some sort of cronyism or was a quid pro quo received to hobble a competent competitor? Not addressing the publicly aired complaints about itself leaves TC open to this sort of speculation.

It would be interesting to know if . ., Widow and others have finally had their complaints properly addressed. My complaints regarding TC have not been addressed. I have not received any apology or compensation and I have not heard of any inquiry or action to solve the problems I have high lighted. Apart from this and other forums, all of these complaints are on file with TC and with various others such as members of parliament. If TC is genuinely interested in restoring integrity, fairness and competence to the aviation regulatory service in Canada then can all complainants expect their issues to be dealt with in the very near future? Until all of these long outstanding issues are addressed a serious question mark remains hanging over the integrity, accountability, motives and competence of Transport Canada and its employees.

Perhaps both owners and employees of the affected air operators are being penalised by TC for reasons that are not entirely based on a fair and even application of the rules and regulations!

Carrier
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Carrier »

Panama Jack: I suspect the anti-motorist/taxpayer attitude of the BC government has had a negative impact on the BC economy. It will get worse with the HST. I know Mrs C and I have avoided this predatory and obstructive province since we ran in to the problems with Grant's Law mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=64282

Be20Captain
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Be20Captain »

It looks as though the Alberta Health Air Ambulance will be taken over by Bar XH Air and one of their charter machines. Not too much information to report otherwise.

Return to “General Comments”