New Aircraft!!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dominusanopheles
Rank 1
Rank 1

New Aircraft!!

Post by dominusanopheles »

I just acquired a Piper Warrior! Hope to have pics soon after some paint work done on it. Really proud of the buy. :D

Anyone have any maintenance tips for this particular aircraft? I have a Cessna 150, so the transition from a Continental to a Lycoming seems overwhelming as there seems to be way more additives for Lycoming. Suggestions?

Btw, they're also available for block time (CYKZ) :rock:
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: New Aircraft!!

Post by co-joe »

Congrats. Enjoy the new bird.

dominusanopheles
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hey Thanks! Anyone have any experience with the Castrol Aviation oil? I saw their booth at the Hamilton Air Expo, and I'm pondering switching to it from Aeroshell. (mind you costs ARE substantially cheaper...less than $4 a quart)...I currently use Aeroshell and Avblend.

Hawkeye4077
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hawkeye4077 »

An old mechanic once told me: There is only one brand of oil for airplanes and it`s Aeroshell.

4$/ quarts / +-5h/Quarts = .80c / hr..

Congrats on the new bird.. I love Pipers :)

Hawk

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

"Never feel sorry for a man who owns a plane. "

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119051/quotes

SWEEEET!!!

(I don't feel sorry for you.)

-istp :smt023

ez4u2say
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ez4u2say »

Aeroshell 15W50 by the case from bulk dealer $92.74 plus $4.64 tax..(I pick mine up in AB so only 5% tax)..total for 12 lt $97.38... that's $8.11..I agree it's expensive but it's better than the cost of an overhaul..

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Fuel and oil are two of the cheapest preventative maintenance additives for your aircraft.

Use the highest quality of each and use lots (fly lots, change your oil lots). Your plane is going to cost you anyways if it sits and this way you get some enjoyment out of it.

I would recommend using Aeroshell W100 in the summer since it doesn't tend to break down at high temps (particularly bad for Lycs) and it is cheaper than most multi-grades anyways. Use 15W50 for the winter.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

Congrats on the second happiest day of your life!

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

ragbagflyer wrote:Congrats on the second happiest day of your life!
The happiest day is when you sell it...

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
dcabrown
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dcabrown »

haha.

Someone find me a Warrior, I want one!!

Kilo-Kilo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kilo-Kilo »

I have recently been wondering why there is a homebuilder's forum here but not a certified private aircraft owner's forum. Would it not be popular? Most of the owner threads get lost in the general forum.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Kilo-Kilo wrote:I have recently been wondering why there is a homebuilder's forum here but not a certified private aircraft owner's forum. Would it not be popular? Most of the owner threads get lost in the general forum.
I think that's a great idea! :smt045

+1

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

recommend using Aeroshell W100 in the summer
Excellent advice. I really don't like running multi-grades in the summer in private aircraft aren't flown every day, because that multi-grade oil - which is thin at room temps - runs off the engine much faster than straight grade, and can result in more corrosion and metal-to-metal at startup.

The expensive multi-grades are fantastic for Canadian winters - I personally prefer Aeroshell 15w50 - it has the Lycoming LW16072 extreme pressure additive which is required by AD for the infamous "H" engines, and is good for any Lycoming camshaft!

But during the summer, I like to run Aeroshell W100plus which unlike W100 also has the LW16072 in it. It's cheaper than multi-grade, and protects against corrosion better in the summer for infrequently-flown aircraft that sit unused for a week or two.

If it gets really, really hot - OAT 30C to 35C - I like to start topping up with quarts of W120 (sae 60W) to try to keep the viscosity at the higher oil temps. A half and half cocktail of W100plus and W120 will give you an SAE 55W with some LW16072, which is a pretty darned good oil for hot wx for a flat engine.

When you start to see 250F on the oil temps - anyone else here do banner tow, or jumper dumping? - W100 is the absolute minimum viscosity you want to use, and W120 is better. These straight grades are cheaper than multi-grade, and withstand extreme temps better. Hard to argue with that choice.

dominusanopheles
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thanks for the advice guys!

And I'd say it was my THIRD happiest day of my life! First happiest day was buying my first aircraft. Second happiest day was ending a relationship with a girlfriend that was a complete downer. Third happiest day was buying my second aircraft!

I absolutely agree with using the W100...I use that as well. I'm not sure if Castrol's AD100 is comparative though. Anyone had experience with it? I've visited http://www.castrolaviator.com/testimonials.html, but again, I'm sure I'd find similar testimonies for any oil company! (LOL)

Cheers!

PAJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PAJ »

istp wrote:
Kilo-Kilo wrote:I have recently been wondering why there is a homebuilder's forum here but not a certified private aircraft owner's forum. Would it not be popular? Most of the owner threads get lost in the general forum.
I think that's a great idea! :smt045

+1
+2

I recently discussed this idea (offline) with sky's the limit and he said that he was going to run it by Joe.

Flight takes MORE than Airspeed and Money ...
Fredster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fredster »

i visited piper's shop in florida ...

I must say they have beautifull birds there.

Last edited by Fredster on Mon May 31, 2010 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dominusanopheles
Rank 1
Rank 1

That IS BEAUTIFUL!

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

dominusanopheles wrote:I just acquired a Piper Warrior! Hope to have pics soon after some paint work done on it. Really proud of the buy.
IDQ?

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
kamikaze
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kamikaze »

dominusanopheles, I own a warrior, based in Ottawa. I'm sure we could get to swap lots of info, PM me :)

For the oil, I use W100 + ASL Camguard. Definitely use season specific oils, NOT 15W50, way too liquidy ... When I first bought my Warrior, that's the oil it came with, and it was spewing it all out the bottom.

With W100, clean belly :)

As for other things, depends on what's been don eon it already. The aluminum battery cables are a common one in Pipers, though most pipers have already had those replace. Look up SB1006, regarding corrosion on the wing spars.

Other than that, GREAT bird, ditch that 150 :P

Flaps 1 Billion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flaps 1 Billion »

How much for the block time?

ho ho ho merry christmas

Return to “General Comments”