Logbook Apps for Iphone/Ipad touch

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Altsel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Logbook Apps for Iphone/Ipad touch

Post by Altsel »

Hey guys, just curious if there are any digital logbook apps for the iphone/touch???

And while we're at it, any useful apps for everyday airline operations???

Finally, I am on the fence about getting a new phone, the old blackberry vs. iphone is war is waging in my head, your thoughts.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Attachments
Woof.gif
Woof.gif (1.78 KiB) Viewed 3211 times
Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Logbook Apps for Iphone/Ipad touch

Post by Brewguy »

Altsel wrote:any digital logbook apps for the iphone/touch???
LogTen Mobile, which will sync with and is a great combo to use with LogTen Pro.

Of course, LogTen Pro is Mac software, so if you're a Windows user ... well, you're S.O.L.

Cheers,
Brew
fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

I second the LogTen Pro/Mobile combo, if you have a Mac.

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PunkStarStudios »

Check this one out - slightly different twist

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/journey- ... 55631?mt=8

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

LogTen Pro/Mobile is amazingly great and awsome. I recently switched from Logbook Pro on Windows and gotta say this is 10x better. I can do all my logging in roughly 15 seconds a leg, and it is so simple and complete. Really worth it!

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
boeingguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by boeingguy »

How well does the Logbook 10 Iphone app work by itself? Is there a decent way to export the data out of the phone to a Windows environment?

thanks

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

What you get boeingguy is a CSV file sent to any email you choose, you just enter it. From there you can import it into anything else as CSVs are about as portable as they come. For example if you are using Logbook Pro for windows it is a snap, what you do is creat a field MAP file so that when you import it into Logbook pro everything is setup and you just hit import, all the colums are correct, date format set, times are correct. LogTen appears to export the CSV with time in total Minutes for example. The .map file will make sure that the minutes are converted into Decimal hours on import.

Hope this makes sense just finished 7 hours of flight time on the night shift, brain is a little fuzzed.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
boeingguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by boeingguy »

Thanks for the reply 200hr Wonder or is it 207hr Wonder now?

BG

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

boeingguy wrote:Thanks for the reply 200hr Wonder or is it 207hr Wonder now?

BG
Well seeing as i am replying from my iPhone with LogTen pro it is 1601.1 as of right now ;)

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

A bit off-topic but one app I picked up yesterday is Skycharts Pro. It shows VFR, Terminal, IFR low-level charts and approach charts for the whole US, along with your GPS position on them, along with METARS, TAFS etc. It says it even has a terrain database (assuming your phone has 'real' gps, which the iphone 3gs does), but I didn't get close enough to the ground while watching it to confirm that :)

I have it on my iphone 3GS but it'll work with an ipad as well.

It's still a work in progress - it doesn't show high-level IFR charts yet and doesn't have much for Canadian stuff, but the guy seems to add a new feature every week or so (he says he's working on adding weather on top of the chart displays), and a cool thing is you can cache the IFR / approach charts on your iphone so you can use them while in the air. I tried it on a flight back from Toledo to YYZ yesterday and it showed our GPS position on the charts, just like the 15k tablet PC we have on board, so it might be a good backup in the event that all the electrics go dark one day. It's $19.99

http://www.skycharts.net/

Some screenshots - you can see the little airplane superimposed on the charts and I can vouch for the fact that it does work while airborne if you have the appropriate charts cached on your iphone (they are free to download once you buy the application, and you can snag them via wifi if you are worried about the data transfer costs).

http://www.skycharts.net/?page_id=291

Anyhoo, just something cool I found yesterday :)

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

That's very cool Sulako - thanks for sharing. How is the battery life while you are flying? I am thinking about an IPhone and this might tip the scales. :wink:

costermonger
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by costermonger »

200hr Wonder wrote:LogTen Pro/Mobile is amazingly great and awsome. I recently switched from Logbook Pro on Windows and gotta say this is 10x better. I can do all my logging in roughly 15 seconds a leg, and it is so simple and complete. Really worth it!
How's the transition? When I first started using Logbook Pro I spent a bunch of hours entering data from paper logbooks; to change programs now I'd need to be assured that I could mostly skip that process.

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

Yes, you should be able to skip that process.

http://coradine.com/2006/12/11/how-to-import-your-data/

Might be a bit of work but definitely less than having to re-enter all the data.

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Transition took me roughly 3 hours I would say. I imported, checked everything out, found a few errors, did a bunch of cleaning up of my data, re-imported. Found a bunch of typos etc. and spent time doing some data normalization, fixing errors that Logbook Pro did not make easy to find. I also spent some of that time customizing the paper logbook because I am a nerd like that. One thing I will mention, is the easiest way to get the import correctly is to export from LogbookPro and then do an import to LogTen.

One super nice feature of LogTen is it creates two tables, "Places" and "People". Each time you go somewhere you get a new entry in a place. I then went through all my lists of places and looked for things like 1 arrival but no departures. Ones I had only been two once, etc. and found a fair number of errors that. Same goes with people. People you only flew with once, or that Capt Bbob instead of Bob.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Log Book App

Post by wallypilot »

Any suggestions for pilot log book/flight duty record for iPhone/itouch?

i've seen "Flogger" mobile flight Log and "Flight Log Pilot's Log Book". either one better?

Mach 92
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Log Book App

Post by Mach 92 »

LogTen Pro iPhone. Its pricey, but its the best, and will probably still be around 10 years from now. You can download it from the app store for free and log 40 flight hours before you have to buy it.

http://coradine.com/logten-mobile/

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I think if I had a better way to edit spreadsheets on the iPhone I would just stick with a spreadsheet. The logbook programs are always lacking in one way or another. Either they don't let you import/export your data, or they aren't customizable to give you extra fields for things you want to track, or the UI was designed by blind monkeys.

Spreadsheets work, and work well. They'll also be readable continuously for the next 100 years if needed.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

yeah, i use a spreadsheet now, and it is my preferred method, and I will keep using it. the app i want doesn't need to be my permanent record, more like a temporary record until i update my official log book(flt duty xls, excel & hand written). It would be nice to enter flight duty times, flight times, and expenses/per diems and maybe even a note or 2 for each entry. any apps that are better for this kind of thing?

Brewguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Brewguy »

AirFrame wrote:... Spreadsheets work, and work well. They'll also be readable continuously for the next 100 years if needed.
Would you like to make a small wager on that? :wink:

I have a few old 5 1/4" floppy disks with spreadsheets created using first generation MS Excel (Windows 2.0 era).

Just for a lark, I had an old (very old) computer kicking around that still booted up, that had both a 5 1/4" floppy drive, and a 3 1/2" drive. So I transferred the spreadsheets onto the 3 1/2" floppy, then onto a USB thumb drive so I could play around with them on my current computer.

Despite all that effort, none of my current office suites could open the files. Not MS Office (Excel) on Windows or OpenOffice on Linux. But I know that the original data was intact, because the very old computer could still open it.

Those spreadsheets were from, oh I don't know, 1987-89'ish. So only 20 years old.

Planned obsolescence is what makes the computer & software industry tick. They will make sure your old files won't open 3 or 4 versions from now. I guarantee it.

If you want your grandkids to be able to look at your flight logs in 100 years time, get a good quality book, with archival quality paper, and use a pigment ink pen. Don't expect any electronic format to be of any use even 10 years down the road, let alone 100.

Cheers,
Brew
wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

Brewguy wrote:
If you want your grandkids to be able to look at your flight logs in 100 years time, get a good quality book, with archival quality paper, and use a pigment ink pen. Don't expect any electronic format to be of any use even 10 years down the road, let alone 100.
no doubt, i plan on keeping my paper/ink log book updated forever. However, if you use your spreadsheet log book regularly, and keep it updated (not much work if you keep up with it, just like a paper log book) then there's no reason it won't be readable forever as well. the key is to keep it as one file, and always update the same file and transfer it to new versions of the software as you obtain them over the years. Don't write it to a CD and put in a closet and expect to it to be readable 15 years from now. Not only will software versions have changed significantly, but also, data on CD does degrade and it may not actually be readable even by the original software.

Return to “General Comments”