PC-12 Engine Failure

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ipilot54
Rank 4
Rank 4

PC-12 Engine Failure

Post by ipilot54 »

I see the Flying Doctor's had the engine fail...just a matter of time until the next. This turned out well...kudos to the pilot. Coming out of YER on an IFR day the results would probably be different.

SAFETY REPORT: Faulty bolts on RFDS plane caused engine failure.
Source: PerthNow

A NUMBER of failed bolts inside a gearbox caused the engine of a Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) plane with four people on board to stop, an investigation has found.
A single-engine RFDS Pilatus PC-12 aircraft was on a medical evacuation flight from Derby to Kununurra, in WA, on January 29 this year when the pilot heard a loud humming and whining noise.
The pilot turned back to the Derby aerodrome, in the state's north, after an engine warning light lit up about 56km after take-off.
An oil quantity light then lit up 11km from Derby before the pilot reported the engine had failed and put in a MAYDAY call.
She glided the plane to land safely at Derby and no one was hurt.
An RFDS spokeswoman said the pilot did everything right.
"She did everything by the book and brought her in safely to land," the spokeswoman said.
A preliminary report into the incident by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) said a subsequent inspection confirmed the engine propeller reduction gearbox had seized.
"The investigation found that a number of first-stage reduction gearbox carrier bolts had failed," the report said.
"As a result, the engine manufacturer has reviewed a number of issues relating to engine overhaul practices and has recommended withdrawal from service of an engine from one aircraft in the Australian fleet for examination."
The engine, was examined at an approved workshop of Canadian aircraft engine manufacturers Pratt & Whitney, under the supervision of the ATSB.
An examination of the propeller gearbox found four of six bolts had failed due to fatigue cracking which had led to gear damage.
Pratt & Whitney had issued a 2008 service difficulty advisory about the fractured carrier bolts when it advised there had been more than 20 fractures of the gearbox carrier bolts, the ATSB said.

The company told the ATSB there had been 27 gearbox failures between 2000 and 2010 because of the bolt distress on engines.
"Of the 27 reported gearbox failures, 15 resulted in in-flight shutdowns," :shock: :shock: the ATSB report said.
"All of the failure events had occurred after engine overhaul, with no events associated with new production engines."
New overhaul procedures were introduced by Pratt & Whitney in January 2009.
The engine in the RFDS plane had its last overhaul in May 2007, the ATSB said.
The ATSB investigation is continuing to determine the level of risk to aircraft with similar engines.

Source: http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 5867850107
---------- ADS -----------

Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: PC-12 Engine Failure

Post by Hot Fuel »

Whoooop Whoooop Pull Up Pull Up....a death trap alert, it's way scarier than any single you will learn to fly on.

I've attached a little light reading, according to the preamble you need to turn it into the police (I suggest the RCMP) after your done.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

3... 2... 1...

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Flybaby
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Flybaby »

Thanks Hot Fuel, that was the best piece of information I've read on the topic.

Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Hot Fuel »

I think I googled "single engine inflight shutdown statistics"...I hope I don't get tossed in jail for posting a "secret" document that I copied off the internet.

mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

Wow, pt6 failures 4 times higher than SE IMC failure target :shock:

Projected pilot death rate of 1 in 400, more than twice industry standards :shock:

We're all here, because we're not all there.
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

mag check wrote:Wow, pt6 failures 4 times higher than SE IMC failure target :shock:

Projected pilot death rate of 1 in 400, more than twice industry standards :shock:
1 in 400 death rate? Wow, who do I give my money for a golden opportunity like that?

Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Hot Fuel »

Doc isn't that a PT-6 hanging off the nose of the C208 you recently trained on? I have it on good authority the power plant has no idea if its operating in IFR or VFR conditions. It hasn't a clue if it's day or night, and whether it's being managed with one qualified pilot or six monkeys and a baggage handler who has completd the ground school.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Not to worry Hot Fuel, we're day VFR. They're reliable enough for that. Even for me. :smt040

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

You getting back in the Van Doc? If you're who I think you are, I was on your initial F/S course in Wichita!!

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

bcflyer wrote:You getting back in the Van Doc? If you're who I think you are, I was on your initial F/S course in Wichita!!
If you're named after famous viking, I'm the guy. We waited for you in the Texas Roadhouse. Good luck with the job.

Return to “General Comments”