When is it time to pull the pin?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: When is it time to pull the pin?

Post by CLguy »

Congratulations buddy, you've earned it but you will be missed. If I could only convince them to give me an early retirement package I would join you. Of course you would need to buy a faster sled!!!!

Keep living the dream!
---------- ADS -----------

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
OhKiE DoHkIe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by OhKiE DoHkIe »

....it MUST be the MANopause creeping in because I could not stop tearing up reading your farewell note "Pedro"...

I remember spending hours upon hours exchanging ideas and opinions and listening to you speak on many topics during those hot lazy summer days in "Noonegivesashit" Ontario waiting for the fire-phone to ring. Some of my best memories in my 20 year aviation career...have you in them.

I remember the feeling of exhilaration everytime we heard your voice over the radio when we were dispatched to a fire not knowing what other crew were going to meet us at the fire. Which always brought upon a smile onto my face at least because we were going to be entertained with funny comments and some experienced flying to snuff out the flames.

42 days left...be prudent brother. I need to see you this Christmas sometime. I have SO much positive things to tell you!!

Much Love!

"When your dreams turn to dust, vacuum."
AMM
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by AMM »

Driving Rain wrote: I don't want to be one of those old guys that identifies themselves with their profession or become bitter. I'm much more than that. I don't want to be one of those guys who keeps flying just because they can hold a medical and little else. It's time to get out of the way and let the younger guys get their kick at the cat.
:prayer:

Your the man!
Hope you have a great time.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

It's nice to read a positive story on here. Although “story” doesn't do it justice as those few lines are just a blip to what I’m sure you’ve experienced.
Being a sentimental guy I appreciate reading about someone who lived out their childhood dream, as I myself feel that way. I only hope to have as long a career, and still come out positive at the other side.
Enjoy your upcoming days off, and please go the hell on summer vacation.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
magyar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by magyar »

"I don't want to be one of those old guys that identifies themselves with their profession or become bitter."

oh how i agree with ya bud!!!!

X Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by X Driver »

Interesting post DR. When my wife first read it she thought it could have been written by me. I also have 42 years in the industry and am planning on hanging up the David Clarkes next spring, for most of the same reasons you mention. I must say by and large aviation for me has been a great way to earn a living. Good luck in your retirement. TM

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

X Driver, Good luck to you also. Please tell your wife I'm a Bose Headset man myself. That way she can tell us apart in the internet. :wink:

Pilotwife
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pilotwife »

LOL Driving Rain! Bose vs David Clarks!! The never ending debate!
Congratulations on your retirement! As my X Driver said, he will be
doing the same thing soon, although I'm sure we will never be far from
an airport. It has been quite a ride, and though I've often told Terry
he should write a book, and I have read most of the aviation stories he has bought
for his library...sooner or later there should be something written by the wife
of some of these 'old guys'!! There has got to be some good stories about
following these flyboys around, the places we've lived, people we've met. We
are now watching our son and family follow almost exactly in our footsteps, so it
must have made an impression on him as a kid.
Enjoy life to the fullest now!

Louise

The world is waiting, get out and enjoy it!
Probes Down
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Probes Down »

Congrats Skipper! You'll be missed around the base. I am glad I had a chance to fly with you, I learned a ton about fighting fires from you, plus more interesting facts about random topics than I could handle...lol If you ever find yourself missing the job just think about checking into the Winston after a long day of flying.. :?

Just so you know things are good here in YQK, Blue alerts and its nice out for a change.

Take care.....

Gilligan

Driving Rain
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Driving Rain »

Well I made it to my last day. Thanks all for the kind salutations. I would never have gotten as far as I have without great friends and a lot of luck.
I would like to leave you all with a little spiritual... an obscure oldie but a goodie from the Beach Boys. The lyrics are a reflection of what it takes to make it in life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdrN89Vxu6I
Turn your speakers up and so long.
DR

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Congratulations on making it to retirement. Like you, I also have 42 years in flying.
So, from one to the other, Here's to you.
Bob

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Do I address you as Driving Sir or Mr. Rain or??? Either way, you seem to have had a career that many of us can only dream about and the fact that you are still with us 42 years later suggests of the quality of pilot and person that you are. Congratulations on being able to step away on your own terms and I wish you all the best in your post career pursuits.

CP77

Return to “General Comments”