Float planes collide

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Float planes collide

Post by Cat Driver »

Two C185's flying on the herring fishery hit each other a couple of miles from here yesterday.

It's on the front page of our local paper, seems they were not communicating on the frequency used for the herring fishery and one plane turned into the path of the other and the float hit the tail, both planes landed safely.

WOW... were they ever lucky, that is about as close to dying as they will ever come.

Cat
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Northern Flyer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Northern Flyer »

That could ruin your whole day.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Yeh, the paper quoted someone by the name of Bill Yearwood from the TSB saying they are looking into it.

I wonder if those two pilots will hear from our friends at Enforcement?

Cat

Last edited by Cat Driver on Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

Actually, the paper states that Bill is from the TSB, not TC... Those are different organizations.

March 12, 2004
Float planes clip each other mid-air over Vancouver Island, land safely

NANAIMO, B.C. (CP) - The pilots of two small planes had a narrow escape after a mid-air collision Friday morning over Vancouver Island.

The Cessna 185 float planes were both conducting patrols for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans at the time in the area of Nanoose Bay, not far from Nanaimo.

The pilots, one based in Vancouver and the other from Campbell River, were not using the same frequency and were not communicating, said Bill Yearwood of the Transportation Safety Board.

"One aircraft was exiting Nanoose Bay when the other aircraft appeared in front of it in a steep bank," said Yearwood.

The float of one plane hit the tail of the other.

"The pilots were able to maintain control of the aircraft," said Yearwood. "They established radio contact and assessed each other's damage in flight and then proceeded to their home bases."

Planes on fisheries patrol "have some procedures in place where they stay at different altitudes that would give them 100-foot separation, (they are) supposed to communicate on common frequency," said Yearwood. "That was not the case in this event."

No one was hurt and both planes are now being repaired.

The TSB investigation will look into how the two planes, "operating so close together, knowing they were in the same vicinity, came into contact," said Yearwood.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Sorry CD, I missquoted who Bills employer is.

I have edited my mistake, just seems to be a bad habit I have developed lately when I get thinking about the regulator....so I trust everyone will forgive that lapse of judgement and getting poor old Bill mixed up with the wrong organization.

Now anyone want to opine on the possibility of these two pilots getting contacted by enforcement?

And what advice would you give these guys if they should get a call from enforcement?

Cat

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Seems to me I remember something about tears working. :cry:
Hope they don't get reamed too badly. I'm sure it's already cost them a couple of pair of underwear.

-istp

Pratt
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt »

Very lucky indeed. Is there a PUBLISHED designated freq that they should have been monitoring in that area? And is it an infraction if you are not monitoring it?

Even if they were both on the same freq, doesn't mean that it would have prevented the incident. VFR in uncontrolled airspace, it is still see and be seen as far as I know.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Pratt:

The herring fishery is a very localized and intense fishery.

When I last flew the herring fishery with the fisheries guys we had two radios working, the fisheries guys were on FM and the pilots used VHF, before every days flight there was a briefing and everyone knew the pattern to fly. We staggered the airplanes by 100 feet if there was more than one flying on the same group of boats and we always flew a left hand pattern so the pilot could see the boats all the time.

However there will quite often be other airplanes stumble into the fray or show up without knowing the frequency we are on.

So yeh, if it is not not Notamed it is see and be seen...bottom line.

Cat

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

This is not the first time this has happened with herring. I remember a friend telling me about one of their beavers chewing off the tail of a 185. Or maybe it was the other way around.

ahramin

FA28 guy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FA28 guy »

TSB ot TC the employer is the same. With this stress on safety it seem all occurences go to inforcement for a look see.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

F28guy :

The word "Safety" is a mantra that covers TC and makes them look good in public perception.

All one needs do is quickly read any and all communications from TC and the word "safety" has become their holy grail and gives them a bullet proof armour to ward off any suspision that they are not actually "doing " something tangible to ensure "safety" ( well some of them do quickly cut and paste their propaganda mill publications here on these internet forums) I suspect that is just to impress us the great unwashed out here in the industry trying to survive that they actually have a grasp on reality.

When did you last see one of them out in the field actually trying to assertain just what is going on behind all the paper work " safety" that is churned out to make it look good?

Naw, if you ever see one of them outside their office it is generally in one of their fishing holes doing ramp checks.

Now I ask you, would you trust one of them when you get ramped?

Or even more serious, would you trust one of them when they phone you to discuss an enforcement issue?

Cat

c_172pilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by c_172pilot »

Saw the floats the other day it was a close call couple of more inches and at least one of them wouldent have made it. It is crazy how much the DFO is spending on patrols by float planes. Problem I find is the pilots are too busy looking at the boats acting as spotters trying to impress the DFO rather than doing what they are suposed to be doing. Not saying that is what happend here, I have seen it many times though. This kind of thing makes me want mode S in my airplane too bad they are so darned expensive.

C_172pilot

Aviation is proof, that given the will,
we have the capacity to achieve the impossible."

--- Eddie Rickenbacker

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I bet there are a couple of 185 drivers that are counting their lucky stars or whatever, but the comments that FA28 Guy and Cat Driver made about enforcement and TC somehow got me to thinking, which is always a dangerous thing for a pilot to do, but I remember reading an aviation newspaper a few years back, can't remember the name of it, but in one artical a Saskatchewan farmer, probibaly short on money but long on wisdom told a story where TC enforcement pilots, who he refered to as 'Mahogany Bomber Pilots, (as in desk) , tiddleboping across Saskatchewan one night in a Twooter, landed at his lighted airstrip to tell him that his runway was unsafe because a few lights were burned out and someone making a forced landing on his poorly lighted airstrip could run into trouble, so he turned his lights out. That satisfied the mahogany bomber pilots and they proceeded to take-off from his now unlit airstrip. Numerous letters etc followed this article and I wonder if this guy is still around or if he still owns an airplane. He would be an interesting person to talk to.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Return to “General Comments”