Two crop dusters collide in Rosetown.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

nimbostratus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Two crop dusters collide in Rosetown.

Post by nimbostratus »

http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/index.p ... Itemid=421

There was an accident at the Rosetown airport yesterday (Wed) evening.

RCMP report that at 8:55 they responded to a collision involving two crop dusters.

One of the planes had touched down and was on his landing roll when the second aircraft began its takeoff .

One aircraft suffered damage as the tail end was broken off and the second aircraft suffered front end damage.

Neither pilot was injured, but plane fuel and the chemical being sprayed leaked out of one of the planes.

The Transportation Safety Board was notified and is investigating the collision.
---------- ADS -----------

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes!

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
Give him a mask and he will tell the truth." -- Oscar Wilde
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Two crop dusters collide in Rosetown.

Post by Tim »

so let me get this straight...the person taking off start his roll while the other a/c was still on the runway in front of him? i really hope thats not the case.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Something pretty similar to this happened to two crop dusters in Manitoba last year. Get on the frickin radio, people - this kind of thing is very avoidable!

Salt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Salt »

A good number of dusters don't have radios. I used to do pipeline patrol through that area... all you could rely on was your eyes, as you'd never get a reply from them.

niss
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by niss »

Salt wrote:A good number of dusters don't have radios. I used to do pipeline patrol through that area... all you could rely on was your eyes, as you'd never get a reply from them.
Spoken like a true russian spy, a sexy russian spy.

She’s built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Let's kick the tires, and light the fires.... SHIT! FIRE! EMERGENCY CHECKLIST!
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Salt wrote:A good number of dusters don't have radios. I used to do pipeline patrol through that area... all you could rely on was your eyes, as you'd never get a reply from them.
Uh ya, i'm sure they have radios, but are too busy looking at the ground whizzing by to bother. At an aerodrome though while landing/taking off? That's just dumb.

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

Ok - I don't get these guys. How much extra does it weigh to carry a radio? How about a transponder?

Why do they feel it is legal to transit from their work site back to the airfield at 100' AGL? I see these guys daily flying over a built up area at less than VFR altitudes.

I know they have a job to do - but most times I meet these guys in the air, they are breaking basic rules. I witnessed one of them contact the MF for the first time when he was on a two mile final - the MF is 5 miles.

Someone please tell me that I am just encountering the worst sprayer drivers...

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

SAR_YQQ wrote:Ok - I don't get these guys. How much extra does it weigh to carry a radio? How about a transponder?

Why do they feel it is legal to transit from their work site back to the airfield at 100' AGL? I see these guys daily flying over a built up area at less than VFR altitudes.

I know they have a job to do - but most times I meet these guys in the air, they are breaking basic rules. I witnessed one of them contact the MF for the first time when he was on a two mile final - the MF is 5 miles.

Someone please tell me that I am just encountering the worst sprayer drivers...
Unfortunately, you're not. I've seen it all over the prairies pretty much exactly as has been described. I'm always that little extra bit more cautious around an airdrome that I know cropdusters operate out of.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Ag pilots only get paid when there is chemicals coming out of the nozzles. The transit to and from the airport is nonrev so there is a tendancy to cut corners.....but the bottom line is these are uncontrolled airports so at the end of the day it is only the quality of your lookout that is going to keep you safe.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

8) no wonder why the terrorizers wanted to get in the crapdusting, no radio=no problem.

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

I know these guys normally crop dust at sun up or sunset times, so vis can be a major factor. I did photo flying, and I know that when you fly 100 AGL for hours, you have no wish to do a pattern at 1000 AGL before landing... You just steer her in like a car...
Such is life in the country... :shock:

Success in life is when the cognac that you drink is older than the women you drink it with.
SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:...but the bottom line is these are uncontrolled airports so at the end of the day it is only the quality of your lookout that is going to keep you safe.
Concur 100% about a good look out.

The airport in question has an MF to a radio FSS via RCO. When the duster checked in short final - I could hear the hesitation in the controllers voice as he consider filing an infraction.

I also live in the 10nm ring around CYPG. The crop dusters fly at 100'AGL over my house all the time - following the #1 highway I guess. I can only wonder if they bothered even checking in with Southport Tower - since they know that the Winnipeg SSR can't see that low.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Here they fly at 100-200AGL as well, but they stay clear of the town. I imagine it saves a lot of time flying low to the spray site, it is presumably legal for them to do, and they're obviously safe flying low.

They do, however, sometimes join right base which I believe is always illegal (for a left-hand circuit aerodrome). But at least they do always broadcast their intentions on the radio so you can get out of their way.

All the serious crop sprayers these days have big turbine engines and fancy gps equipment telling them exactly where they are, so what's so difficult about having a radio?

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

From CADORS 2010C2554:
User Name: Ridley, Rod

Date: 2010-07-29

Further Action Required: No

O.P.I.: System Safety

Narrative: Two M 18 Dromader spray aircraft operated by West Central Air, collided on the ground at Rosetown, SK. One aircraft was taking off and the other one was landing in the opposite direction to the departing aircraft when they collided. Both aircraft were substantially damaged but the pilots were not injured. Rosetown fire, EMS and RCMP personnel attended the site. TSB report to follow.

User Name: Ridley, Rod

Date: 2010-07-30

Further Action Required: No

O.P.I.: System Safety

Narrative: UPDATE TSB reported that the PZL Mielic M-18A Dromader application aircraft, registration C-GMVQ had completed a run-up and was postioned at the button of Runway 07 at the Rosetown, SK airport. Another PZL Mielic M-18A Dromader aircraft, registration C-FYNL, on approach to Runway 25 at the Rosetown airport, joined the circuit on a right base leg. The pilot of C-FYNL turned onto final approach with C-GMVQ in sight and assumed that C-GMVQ would hold until C-FYNL had cleared the runway. Neither pilot made a broadcast on the ATF. The pilot of C-GMVQ was unaware of C-FYNL and began his takeoff roll on Runway 08. Shortly after C-FYNL touched down, both pilots saw the other aircraft and took evasive action, but the aircraft collided on the runway. There were no injuries, but both aircraft sustained substantial damage, which resulted in a fuel and chemical spill.
Thread about similar incident last year: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=56219

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

so not just 2 ag planes, but for the same company?
com·pla·cent   /kəmˈpleɪsənt/
–adjective
1. pleased, esp. with oneself or one's merits, advantages, situation, etc., often without awareness of some potential danger or defect; self-satisfied

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I am willing to bet that there are two of our fellow aviators out there who are not feeling to good tonight, and will no doubt be taking stock of the way they did and will do things.

Do we really need to post this vicious drivel like the definition of complacency, and the associated horror stories. I am sure none of the posters' here have made even one little mistake where their attention was diverted, or a procedure wasnt done exactly as the great gods at TC wanted.

To the pilots who did this, I am glad you all got out OK.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Tim wrote:so not just 2 ag planes, but for the same company?
So were the two that collided last year.
Cador wrote: assumed that C-GMVQ would hold until C-FYNL had cleared the runway
...dumb and illegal
Cador wrote: joined the circuit on a right base leg
...illegal but they all seem to do it

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

trey kule wrote:I am willing to bet that there are two of our fellow aviators out there who are not feeling to good tonight, and will no doubt be taking stock of the way they did and will do things.

Do we really need to post this vicious drivel like the definition of complacency, and the associated horror stories. I am sure none of the posters' here have made even one little mistake where their attention was diverted, or a procedure wasnt done exactly as the great gods at TC wanted.

To the pilots who did this, I am glad you all got out OK.
hardly vicious rather, a likely cause. the cador stinks of complaceny. feeling bad doesnt get you off the hook. and, there is a huge difference between complancency and a mistake.

are right ccts standard at this a/d?

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

CpnCrunch wrote:
Cador wrote: assumed that C-GMVQ would hold until C-FYNL had cleared the runway
...dumb and illegal
Huh?
CpnCrunch wrote:

Cador wrote: joined the circuit on a right base leg
...illegal but they all seem to do it
Nope, perfectly legal.

Going for the deck at corner
nacho
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by nacho »

This event does not represent the professionalism of the industry these days.
Radio or no radio someone made a mistake and that's all there is to it. WTF does ferrying to and from the field has to do with this?
Majority goes at 500 and comes back at at least 1000. ( that is if the temp and humidity allows)
Maybe someone will say that if you can't climb, you should take a smaller load...

Remember how we react to generalization in every aspect of our lives.
In every sector of aviation there will be mistakes made by pilots.

Remeber a cropduster sprayed the crop that made your beer .......

Return to “General Comments”