Air Labrador

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

some1whoknows
Rank 0
Rank 0

Air Labrador

Post by some1whoknows »

I saw on a Government Website that Air Labrador has been sold. Anybody out there with info on that, who took it over and when did this happen?

Interesting to say the least.
---------- ADS -----------

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Air Labrador

Post by sanjet »

I have heard too. Heard the owner sold off his shares to a rather huge company, which I cannot disclose until permitted. If the airline will be led by the current v.p., Air Labrador will be in good hands and have a good future imo.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

Yup!

The extra Twotter they've got online is a nice boost to their capacity too.

Caracrane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Caracrane »

Lot's of respect for them. Other than weather, on rotation I was home as scheduled.They never put any pressure of what so ever except a bugging dispatch that had so many phone calls that I hope she has a fliybg position now :wink: Get a chance to fly with some east coeat experienciend ducks, if no good you'll turn top notch with no autopilot.

The Best safety device in any aircarft is a well-paid crew.
Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Main Gear »

Any word on who bought Air Labrador?

Never point your aircraft to some place your brain hasn't already been 5 minutes earlier.
bravowhiskey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bravowhiskey »

Woodward Group.

Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Main Gear »

Cool..my guess was PAL.

Never point your aircraft to some place your brain hasn't already been 5 minutes earlier.
OceansEdge
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by OceansEdge »

Wonder if there's any plans to bring back the Dash8's....

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Woodward Group.
Deep pockets. They operate the ferry from Blanc Sablon to Ste. Barbe. Among other things of course.

Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 787 »

very deep pockets if it is Woodwards group. Thew own most of GM dealership,s in NL, Ferry boats, Several Oil tanker ships , and much more.

OceansEdge
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by OceansEdge »

787 wrote:very deep pockets if it is Woodwards group. Thew own most of GM dealership,s in NL, Ferry boats, Several Oil tanker ships , and much more.
Might even be deep enough to give PAL a run for their money

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

Might even be deep enough to give PAL a run for their money.
The island is pretty well saturated as far as air service goes so if they decide to run head to head against PAL it will pretty well have to be off island. PAL runs 12 or 14 trips per week ZV - UL - WK with the Saab, and every time I've taken them the aircraft has been full, or nearly so. Air Lab gave that route up several years ago and parked the -8's. In addition PAL used to have an agreement - dunno if they still do - with the mining companies in Western Labrador to supply a number of seats for their business passengers. Those three companies - IOC, Wabush Mines and QCM - used to operate heavy turboprop shuttles of their own, but PAL seems to have been more than competent in taking up the slack left behind when the companies closed their flight departments.

OceansEdge
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by OceansEdge »

Yeah Air Lab was pretty much going head to head with PAL when they parked the Dash8's a year or so ago, and yeah PAL's load factor on the island was to be envied, on the Quebec routes the loads were more evenly split, and I think the Dash's were better suited to that route.

Don't know much about the contract situation with the mines, but I can't imagine Woodwards buying Air Lab just for the Twin Otter Labrador service and would be looking to expand routes again. As with Air Canada and WestJet when you've got two companies offering the same product, its gonna come down to marketting and service. However, as I think I've proven in other threads I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the commercial motivations and marketting in this business. So it might just be wishul thinking on my part.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

I wish Air Lab good luck with the new owners. They have a lot of great people that deserve a break.

Fullflap
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fullflap »

https://cado.eservices.gov.nl.ca/Compan ... tails.aspx

Detailed Company Information

Company Name: AIR LABRADOR LIMITED

In Good Standing

Company Number: 62461 Corporation Type: Company
Last Annual Return: Business Type: With Share Capital
Incorporation Jurisdiction: NL Filing Type: Incorporation With Share Capital

Incorporation Date: 2010-05-06 Min/Max Directors: 1 / 5

Additional Information:

(Latest addresses on file) Registered Office:
85 Dakota Drive, Building S7
Happy Valley-Goose Bay
NL Canada
A0P 1C0
Mailing Address:
Same as Registered Office

Obtain a Certificate of Good Standing (Fee $10.00)

[Previous Company Names] [Amalgamated Companies] [Current Directors] [Historical Remarks]

Current Directors
Records Found: 1 Viewing Records: 1-1
Director Name
Philip R. Earle

****************************************************************************************

Is Mr. Earle doing this with Mr. Woodwards $$$ I wonder. Good Luck to them, I am sure he will do well.

Main Gear
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Main Gear »

Why did they lose the Air Canada route between YYT and YQX? Was it when the owner's son became the VP?

bravowhiskey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bravowhiskey »

Why did they lose the Air Canada route between YYT and YQX? Was it when the owner's son became the VP?

From what I understand it was when they went in direct competition with Air Canada doing the YUL-YQB-YZV-YWK run with their Dash 8's. The owners Son was the one who pushed for this run so I hear.

The VP Philip Earle is a good guy and I wish him the best working with Woodwards.

CYYR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CYYR »

I have been following this thread and its amazing how people come close to the facts but never get it 100% correct, thats understandable i'm sure. For the record and for those with a concern and interest, the Woodward Group is not involved in the new company whatsoever. The Company is now owned by a former Vice President of the company with the financial support of a Chartered Bank. The employee group will soon hold an equity position in the Company (Longterm). New aircraft will be added to the fleet growing the company a little, while working in collaboration with Labrador's two largest aboriginal groups.

While the thread was started by "Some1whoknows" I assure you that I do know as do the employees of the Company who have been kept up to speed as much as possible!! :D

CYYR

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

That's great news CYYR :D It's great to see Air Labrador in action again. Some of the best people I've met work there, good for them.

wanna b captain
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wanna b captain »

I assure you that I do know as do the employees of the Company who have been kept up to speed as much as possible
The last I heard the employees had no clue what was on the go...

Return to “General Comments”