Saltspring Air to Install Popout Windows on Beavers

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Ogee
Rank 7
Rank 7

Saltspring Air to Install Popout Windows on Beavers

Post by Ogee »

http://www.vancouversun.com/Saltspring+ ... story.html.

VANCOUVER - Saltspring Air said Monday it is poised to make Canadian history with the installation of emergency pop-out windows on a de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver seaplane, thereby making it easier for passengers to escape in the event of a crash in water.

The newly designed pop-out windows will be installed Wednesday at Viking Air, the Sidney-based company that is the "type certificate holder" for the Beaver aircraft, having acquired the design from Bombardier in 2006.

Viking Air had promised to design a pop-out window -- for voluntary installation by seaplane operators, in the absence of any Transport Canada requirement -- after the Nov. 29 crash of a Richmond-based Seair Seaplanes Beaver in Lyall Harbour off Saturna Island.

Six passengers, including a mother and her infant daughter, perished after being unable to escape the plane before it sank in 14 metres of water. The pilot and one other passenger survived with serious injuries.

Bill Yearwood, regional manager of the federal transportation safety board in Richmond, applauded industry's response to that tragedy.

"Excellent, that's good news," he said. "It's nice to see the airlines, the float operators, taking the initiative as soon as they (pop-out windows) are available."

Saltspring Air spokesman David Davies said the company is proud to be part of "Canada’s first commercial installation of emergency exit pop-out windows in a float plane...." A total of four company seaplanes will eventually be fitted, he added.

Based out of Ganges, Saltspring Air offers scheduled seaplane service to the Gulf Islands, Vancouver International Airport, Vancouver Harbour, Patricia Bay near Victoria, and Maple Bay on Vancouver Island, as well as scenic and charter flights.

The Vancouver Sun published a six-part investigative series on float-plane safety starting May 29 that focussed on the federal government's long-standing failure to implement float-plane safety suggestions of the transportation safety board.

The series, Broken Wings, also addressed the mandatory use of life jackets, egress training and egress improvements such as pop-out windows, as well as satellite-based tracking systems that can help search-and-rescue crews pinpoint the site of a crash and thereby save lives and resources.

Just two days into The Sun's series, then-Transport Minister John Baird said the time for study is over and ordered his staff to immediately undertake a series of initiatives aimed at improving float plane safety.

Those initiatives included: an updated float plane safety awareness campaign for passengers and commercial operators; strengthening of the investigation and enforcement actions against operators who are found not to be following existing regulations and standards; undertaking a

full review with industry stakeholders, safety advocates, affected communities, and other jurisdictions, of the potential measures to improve float plane safety, including a full review of aircraft design standards related to float plane issues; investigating the possibility of implementing improvements in egress from submerged float planes, such as the operation of emergency exits, pop-out windows, wearing of life vests by passengers and egress training for commercial crews.

lpynn@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/Saltspring+ ... z0wptJk4Hb
---------- ADS -----------

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Saltspring Air to Install Popout Windows on Beavers

Post by Widow »

:smt041

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
PanEuropean
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PanEuropean »

Ah, so that's what was going on...

I work at Viking Air, and when I walked through the metalworking area today, I noticed a number of the master craftsmen in that department working on aircraft doors. It didn't occur to me that this project was what they were working on. I know that our engineering team has been working on this project all summer, though.

I'll see if I can get permission from the company to take a picture of the new pop-out windows and post it here.

Michael

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

It is sometimes difficult to justify on a purely commercial basis safety enhancements like this (absent of any regulatory requirement or insurance benefit). Therefore, it is great to see the media finding it newsworthy to publish the story and I hope that the publicity does not end there.

It certainly speaks well of operators who undertake initiatives such as this one.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

how exactly does the window work? is it possible for someone to pop the window out in flight if the felt like it (i.e. crazy pax...)?

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

Good for Saltspring! A first class operation doing the right thing WITHOUT being legislated to do it!

PAXUNK
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PAXUNK »

Well done Salt Spring Air for this first step in improving ease of emergency exit.

Next, could someone please work out a way for rear seat passengers to exit the plane if the middle seat passengers are unable to exit and are blocking the way.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Way to go Saint!!

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

So will Viking be putting these modifications into their factory new planes?

PanEuropean
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PanEuropean »

CpnCrunch wrote:So will Viking be putting these modifications into their factory new planes?
The modification being discussed here is for the DHC-2 Beaver, which is no longer in production - the last one was built about 50 years ago. Viking builds new DHC-6 Twin Otters. These aircraft are substantially larger than the Beaver, and the Twin Otters are equipped with four exit doors and two plug-type emergency exits (similar to the plug-type exits on modern single-aisle jets such as the 737 or A320). For this reason, there is no need to have a pop-out window on a Twin Otter - in fact, the Twin Otter windows are rather small, and it is unlikely that a person could fit through one.

A pop-out roof exit is offered as an option on Twin Otter aircraft that will be operated on skis (in case the aircraft falls through the ice, and the only way out is through the roof).

Michael

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Thanks for the info Michael. I guess it is now up to passengers to decide whether or not they still want to fly in those 50-year old unmodified Beavers.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

I gave CBC radio in Victoria a soundbite ... I would pay more to fly in a Beaver with this mod. My full endorsement, for what it is worth.

Wish I could make it to Victoria for the show and tell I'm told will be on tomorrow. Would love to have the skinny on the windows - I do prefer to give informed commentary ;)

Hope all the float-equipped Beaver operators world wide pick up this mod.

Can you get details for us Michael? Cost, etc?

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
cessnafloatflyer
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cessnafloatflyer »

I work for SSA. The first STCs for the windows will be on C-FAOP. It has been approved by TC and can be purchased from Viking. I'm not sure of the cost, but by aircraft standards i know that it is minimal (i think i heard $3000 per side.) It's the passenger door window that will pop out. 10 hours to install.

The owners feel that they are a part of the community and that it is a must do. Their friends and family fly with us, not to mention our Island teachers and so on...

PanEuropean
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PanEuropean »

Widow wrote:...Can you get details for us Michael? Cost, etc?
No, I can't provide any really useful information beyond what is in the press report above (top of thread), and the press release below (issued today). I specialize in the DHC-6 aircraft and am not a subject matter expert on the Beaver.

As I noted earlier, I'll try to get permission to take some photos and post the photos here. Today, I was kind of busy (had to do a flight test to renew my instrument rating, then had to work on developing a MMEL) and did not have any spare time available.

Here's the text of the press release issued today:

Saltspring Air leads the way with new float plane safety modification

Airline becomes first in Canada to install pop-out windows

VICTORIA, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA (August 18, 2010) – Saltspring Air today becomes the first Canadian float plane company to install emergency exit pop-out windows in its aircraft.

A lot of attention in 2010 has been given to advances and improvements for Seaplane egress around door latches and pop-out windows to enhance the already strong safety record of the de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver, the workhorse of the West Coast and the seaplane utilised by most commercial operators in B.C.

Saltspring Air is the first airline to commit to the safety modification - and will be upgrading its entire fleet with the emergency pop out windows, which provide an alternate exit to the main cabin doors in case of an emergency.

“We pride ourselves on our safety record and are pleased to be able to lead the way on this enhancement,” says St. Clair McColl, president of Saltspring Air. “With float planes making 130,000 flights a year in B.C., safety has always been paramount for the operators and this new modification is one that I believe makes a lot of sense.”

Saltspring Air has received support from the industry and encouragement from Transport Canada.

“This modification is based on technology being utilized in off-shore helicopter operations, and will be the first of its kind in fixed wing aircraft,” said David Curtis, president and CEO of Viking, which owns the designs for the de Havilland Legacy fleet. He added, “Viking is committed to continuously improving upon the original designs as the industry evolves, and to be able to work with operators such as Salt Spring Air to put into practice new modifications regarding safety, will no doubt benefit the entire fleet.”

“I commend Saltspring Air on taking a proactive approach and putting the safety of their passengers first” said The Hon. Gary Lunn, Minister of State for Sport and MP for Saanich-Gulf Islands, who was on hand to celebrate the occasion. “I also applaud Viking Air for their innovation in the field. This is another example of the kind of forward thinking that sets our area apart, and the great things that are being accomplished right here in Saanich-Gulf Islands in the field of air transport.”

About Saltspring Air

Saltspring Air was established in 1995 and has been flying under its own banner since 2003. The only floatplane company based on Salt Spring Island, Saltspring Air has created a thriving business with a fleet of four planes, seven pilots and twelve dispatchers and support crew. Saltspring Air operates from its head office in Grace Point Square, Ganges, Salt Spring Island, with arrival and departure facilities in Vancouver, YVR, Maple Bay and now Patricia Bay. Saltspring Air is carbon neutral. Follow Saltspring Air on Twitter http://twitter.com/saltspringair. Company info at http://www.saltspringair.com

About Viking Air

Viking purchased the Type Certificate for the de Havilland legacy fleet of aircraft (DHC-1 through DHC-7), from Bombardier in 2006 and provides OEM support for the worldwide fleet and is part of Westerkirk Capital Inc., a Canadian private investment firm with substantial holdings in the hospitality, aviation and real estate sectors.

PanEuropean
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PanEuropean »

Here is a link to a more comprehensive story in the Victoria Times-Colonist newspaper:

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Salts ... story.html

Michael

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I hope the insurance companies give a break on the rates for this mod- that would be a great incentive for others to do it.

Any safety improvement in aviation gets a big thumbs up from me. Great news!

-istp :smt023

OceansEdge
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by OceansEdge »

istp wrote:I hope the insurance companies give a break on the rates for this mod- that would be a great incentive for others to do it.

Any safety improvement in aviation gets a big thumbs up from me. Great news!

-istp :smt023
Absolutely - these guys deserve a pat on the back, and a bit of a hand up, for going that little bit extra that could mean so much to someone else down the line :)

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Northwest Flying in Nestor Falls, Ontario has had an STC for the rear passenger doors in their Beavers for about 10 years and as far as I can remember nobody in the press has ever cared. In fact I don't know of any operators or anyone from TC who cared either or all Beavers would have been modified years ago. With this mod even the pilot can open the rear doors from his seat.

Like usual it takes a few people to die to wake people up!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
buck82
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by buck82 »

My pessimism for the day.

There is no way insurance companies will give a break for this mod. Remember they are in business to make money, not save lives... now they will most likely just make any company who does not have this mod now pay a surcharge; GREAT.

Thankyou saltspring air for taking this step! keep them coming!

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

A little off topic but who does Saltspring Air's maintenance? Do they own thier machines or are they leases from Viking which go back to YYJ for maintenance? :smt017

Will fix airplanes for food.

Return to “General Comments”