Heathrow crash B777 Captain Peter Burkill rejoins BA . . .

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bizjets101
Rank 10
Rank 10

Heathrow crash B777 Captain Peter Burkill rejoins BA . . .

Post by bizjets101 »

---------- ADS -----------

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Heathrow crash B777 Captain Peter Burkill rejoins BA . .

Post by Mig29 »

Good for him!! I remember how bad they mistreated this guy after the crash, and I am really glad that they finally recalled him back!

I'd be asking for retro pay as well!!! :D

swordfish
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by swordfish »

This is fantastic news! The way he was humiliated and maligned in the public domain is a tragic disgrace to the airline, the Union, and the industry in the UK.

Of course, we only know what we are fed, but anyone can logically conclude that a Captain of a 777 has come a long way to reach that point, with many hurdles to jump on the way to that position. Not to mention the training and retraining he would have gone through after being promoted there.

It's a pathetic statement on the HR of British Airways that they did not protect Capt Burkill after this incident, and seek a publication ban on any injurious information - or misinformation, on the crew. The FA's Union particularly, needs a good swift kick.

pilotbc69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotbc69 »

I read his book and you can really feel how he must've felt and how easy it would be to go from being on top of the world loving life to having the whole country thinking you are a screw up and no matter what you do all your co-workers doubt you and your abilities. Hopefully now that he's back evveryone stops talking shit about him behind his back.

Fatass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fatass »

I ordered "Thirty Seconds to Impact" from Pete Burkill's website. Great book, a real eye opener to what can play out when things go wrong. The interview on the Flight Global link above is significant in the fact that this was exactly what BA would not allow him to do after the accident. Some public face time with his description of the event would have saved all the grief he went through due to the misinformation that was allowed to circulate.
One year later, "Captain Sully" had a double flame out with about 8 minutes to impact instead of 30 seconds. Both crews did amazing jobs and both crashes had zero fatallities. As we know, the public perception of both crews was very different.
Good for Burkill, for taking his position back.

Return to “General Comments”