Crew of ‘R902’, 442 Sqn CAF

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

W5
Rank 8
Rank 8

Crew of ‘R902’, 442 Sqn CAF

Post by W5 »

Shamelessly lifted from Pprune:

THE PRINCE PHILIP HELICOPTER RESCUE AWARD

Awarded to an individual member of a helicopter crew, a complete crew or the crews of multiple helicopters, for an act of outstanding courage or devotion to duty in the course of land or sea search and rescue operations.

CREW OF ‘R902’, 442 SQN CANADIAN AIR FORCE

Citation:
Quote:
On the night of 24 April 2009, Rescue 902 was tasked to rescue a 37 year old male who had fallen down a crevasse while skiing. The party of three had been on a multi-day excursion which took them across the Mt Compton Glacier in British Columbia and, while on the traverse, one of the party had fallen into a crevasse. Initial reports indicated he may be 30m down into the crevasse.

R902 (Cormorant helicopter) was tasked along with R457 (Buffalo aircraft) at 0320 hrs. The location on the map showed it to be around 8500’ ASL on a glacier. The topographic nature of the map was not specific enough to show the exact contour of the area. Being a glacier, the crew of R902 expected it to be a flat field. The ‘critical hour’ had passed since the initial injury and time was of the essence. The crew stripped all non essential gear from the aircraft and took additional fuel. Fuel would be dumped in flight if not needed. Enroute, the crew calculated their ‘Bingo’ fuel (minimum required to return) and computed the HOGE (Hover Out of Ground Effect) power required; the CCU (on-board computer) showed insufficient power. Fuel was removed from the calculation to find out the maximum weight at which they would be able to hover OGE. The number wasn’t encouraging. However, the crew was confident that a HIGE (Hover In Ground Effect) would be an option. The crew would wait to get on scene before dumping fuel.

While enroute, CCG (Canadian Coast Guard) radio passed information from JRCC (Joint Rescue Coordination Centre) that the patient had no vital signs but some colour had returned after artificial respiration had been started. After 45 min of transit through the Rockies on a clear night with no moon illumination, R902 arrived on scene just prior to R457. What they found was not what they expected. The glacier was not a flat field, but steep sloping ice at about 45 degrees that fell from the top of several peaks into a narrow bowl.

The initial search on NVG (Night Vision Goggles) revealed what appeared to be a beacon high on one side. On closer inspection with the search light and the naked eye, the beacon turned out to be a headlamp of one of the survivors. This light was not visible to the naked eye, but with a close pass and the aid of the search light, the crew was able to see the two other persons in the party. They were located at approximately 8700’ ASL and high up on the side of the glacier. The two persons were next to what looked initially like a very small hole with a rope running down into it.

The crew of R902 decided to try to drop a radio to the survivors to avoid exposing them to any prolonged exposure of the rotor wash. Also, power available was going to be minimal as the CCU showed 98% as the HOGE power required while the FE (Flight Engineer) calculated the engine operating power available was 69%. A mountain reconnaissance was flown by the flying pilot (FP) which showed little to no wind present. A low pass was flown and the radio was dropped from the rescue door. The radio missed the persons and slid down the steep icy slope. Clearly this would not be an acceptable solution.

A new approach was flown directly to a 30’ hover above the 2 persons on the hill. There was some doubt in the crew’s mind about the effect of HIGE due to the steep nature of the slope. When stopped in the 30’ hover, power stabilized at close to 85%. Still above optimum engine operating power, but also well within total power available. The still air and smooth control inputs of the FP facilitated maintaining a relatively constant torque setting.

Whilst R902 was in the hover, R457 began dropping flares which made excellent contrast on NVG and aided the FP with visual acuity both under and through the NVGs. R457 would continue to drop the flares until R902 departed.

The TL (Team Leader) decided to hoist to the 2 persons on the ice to assess their condition and discuss the location and situation of the patient. Once down on the ice the TL tied into the anchor location established by the skiers. R902 departed to enable communication between the TL and the party. They explained that the third member had fallen into the crevasse and was at the bottom of it, not suspended. One of these two had been attending to the fallen companion for several hours. He indicated that while no vital signs were visible, colour had returned when artificial respiration was started. These two persons were tired, cold and demoralized. They were also in a bad position for the TL to effect any kind of rescue. After consultation with the Aircraft Captain, the decision was made to rescue these two persons into the helicopter prior to attempting a rescue in the crevasse. The TL double hoisted them into the helicopter without significant problems. Then came the tricky part.

To get to the casualty, the TL would have to hoist down into the crevasse. It would be impossible for the TL and the FE to maintain visual contact. All hoisting from the Cormorant is done with visual contact from the FE to the people and equipment being hoisted. Hoisting into a hole that would have undetermined obstacles and sides was a daunting task. To mitigate the risk the crew decided that the TL would report progress and instructions via the ‘Sabre’ (voice activated, hands-free) portable radio to the helicopter. The crew would monitor this radio frequency and it would be as if the TL was talking directly to the FE. If the communications should stop, the FE would immediately raise the TL. However, the noise of the helicopter and the poor power of the ‘Sabre’ radio meant that the FE could not hear the TL. The NFP (Non-Flying Pilot) therefore relayed these radio calls to the FE. The TM was located in the door next to the FE and provided confirmation and explanation of RT calls coming in when they were not self explanatory. This served to greatly increase the situational awareness of the crew as to what the TL was experiencing as he went down - alternately from walking down the vertical wall to hanging in mid air.

Once at the bottom of the crevasse, the TL located the fallen person. He attached the double lift harness he had taken with him around the casualty, backed it up with the person’s climbing harness and called for the extraction. The FE slowly raised the TL from the bottom of the crevasse with the patient. Once clear of the top of the crevasse, the TL and the casualty were hoisted directly into the Cormorant helicopter.

During the hoist sequence the FE was concerned with the cable running over the ice and down into the crevasse. The FP had little in the way of contrast other than the small waves of the ice, the illumination of his search light, the flares and his NVGs. Together they manoeuvred the helicopter to give the least amount of strain on the cable.

Once the patient was on board the helicopter, R902 relayed to R457 its intention to take the patient directly to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Comox. During the transit, the SAR Techs on board R902 confirmed the initial findings of vital signs absent with their electronic diagnostic equipment and carried out appropriate SAR protocols. When R902 arrived at the hospital pad, the staff was ready for them and a quick patient transfer was completed. R902 returned safely to base.

This rescue of two persons from the side of an icy glacier and one from the bottom of a crevasse involved a complex hoist, carried out at high altitude and into an unknown location with no visual connection between the FE and TL. This mission succeeded directly because the crew of R902 worked as a team with all crew members working together in non typical roles towards a successful completion of the mission. For their bravery, steadfastness, determination and skill, the crew of R902 is awarded the Prince Philip Helicopter Rescue Award.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Crew of ‘R902’, 442 Sqn CAF

Post by Bede »

Good job, but I don't understand something: they did all of this work for a VSA? I'd be getting the living out first and get the dead guy out later.

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

wow apparently you can't even win an award without getting second guessed on here.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Tim,

I gave my kudo's. I'm just trying to figure out what I missed in this story. No one plays the hero to get a guy out who's been dead for hours when there are others to be rescued.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

An amazing rescue and the pilots probably had less than a 1000 hours total time. Imagine in civy world with that time they wouldn't be considered experienced enough to do a day VFR ferry flight.

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

Bede wrote:I'd be getting the living out first and get the dead guy out later.
They did. Both were uninjured.
After consultation with the Aircraft Captain, the decision was made to rescue these two persons into the helicopter prior to attempting a rescue in the crevasse
Bede wrote:No one plays the hero to get a guy out who's been dead for hours when there are others to be rescued.
Again, they were rescued. They turned their attention to the patient in an attempt to do what they could, as any SAR team would.
He indicated that while no vital signs were visible, colour had returned when artificial respiration was started
Bede wrote:
I gave my kudo's
Followed by
Bede wrote: but, ...
and then how you would have done it better.

The outcome was ideal - the 2 that could be saved were, the victim's body was recovered, the aircraft was fine and most importantly, the crew was fine.
Bede wrote:I'm just trying to figure out what I missed in this story
I'm trying to figure out how someone can question this outcome, especially since the crew had to perform to such a high degree (hence the award) to accomplish it.

These guys deserve praise, not second guessing.

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Unless you are standing in the crew's shoes; at the time that they are performing their duties - I wouldn't say a word of critisism.

My father was a flight engineer in 413 search & rescue from 1974 until 1978 on labradors & chinooks in Summerside PEI.He got up from family gatherings,special occasions & even christmas dinner to answer the call to find & help missing persons.They were not alway successful,but they always answered the call & they did the best they could playing the cards they were dealt.

My humble opinion.

Daryl

Crobe
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crobe »

:prayer: to the crew of R209, and the entire 442 Sqn. I always have a mix of emotions whenever I see 442 overhead, happy to know you are out there, but sad to see your services were needed.

Some people are like slinkies, they serve no purpose, other than to make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

If yer gonna be dumb.....you gotta be tough.

Return to “General Comments”