City Centre Medevac Study

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Infinitair
Rank 0
Rank 0

City Centre Medevac Study

Post by Infinitair »

Dr. John Cowell of the Health Quality Council of Alberta has been requested by Premier Stelmach to perform a study on how the closure of the Edmonton City Centre Airport affects Medevac services coming into Edmonton. Dr. Cowell has indicated that he wants to hear from all parties involved including service providers. Dr. Cowell has also said that he will not perform the study if the province imposes a “gag order” on those that provide the service. The Health Quality Council of Alberta is not part of Alberta Health Services or Alberta Health and Wellness. They are an independent body.

If you are involved in providing Medevac services to Alberta Health Services, Dr. Cowell should hear from you on issues concerning reduced patient care and efficiencies relating to diversions to the Edmonton International Airport. Stories of long wait times on the ramp while waiting for ambulances, long delivery times to the hospital and even the death of a young baby are circulating. However these are only rumours unless Dr. Cowell hears from the people that are involved to confirm these instances.

You may contact Dr. John Cowell at john.cowell@hqca.ca or by calling 780-429-3008. His fax number is 780-429-0985. Visit the Health Quality’s website and use their feedback form at http://www.hqca.ca/index.php?id=107 if you choose.

It is important that Dr. Cowell receive the right information.
---------- ADS -----------

Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: City Centre Medevac Study

Post by Switchfoot »

Infinitair wrote:If you are involved in providing Medevac services to Alberta Health Services, Dr. Cowell should hear from you on issues concerning reduced patient care and efficiencies relating to diversions to the Edmonton International Airport.
Are they interested in hearing from former medevac pilots and crews who currently still use CYXD on a regular basis? If so, then I imagine they would be flooded with calls and emails! Based on your comments it seems they are looking for only information from Medevac operators.

Ironically, I recently followed my old medevac operator from CYXD to CYEG after they missed because whether was too low downtown to get in. Since there is no longer an ILS, this becomes a frequent problem anytime weather is poor.

On the cab ride back into town I couldn't help but wonder about the patient and the medics in the ambulance driving all the way back to downtown Edmonton from Leduc. I sure wouldn't want to be faced with a critical medical situation or have a family member or friend in the same position having to land at CYEG and then drive for 30-40 minutes back knowing that minutes count. Especially when the hospital is practically across the street from where the Medevacs park.

Our politicians in their infinite wisdom have created this problem but I won't turn this into a slag-fest on the mayor. I would however encourage any medevac pilots or those involved to contribute their thoughts for this survey.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

The political way.

You close runways. limit hours for noise. Reduce Navigation/landing aids......then you advise that the airport is not working because the majority of medivac operators are using yeg. Oh , and you let the airport jump in with fees to discourage any other usage...

I hope that the Medivac operators will make Dr. C aware of this insidious form of determination being used to justify closing.

A US city like Edmonton would fight tooth and nail to keep a downtown airport open...look at airports like Hawthorne in LA.

I wish all you operators the best of luck in the fight..and it is a fight.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Tube Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tube Driver »

Infinitair, I did not know that you did medivac flights. If not what is your vested interest in the medivac issue? I do not think that a change in policy for medivacs will change your status. You are grasping at straws here your time and energy would be better spent on retooling your business plan to operate out of CYEG. This issue for all intents and purposes has been settled. It sucks to loose the airport, I enjoyed it, but it is time to move on.

Just my 2 cents

Giveitago
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Giveitago »

Tubedriver,

Infinitairs intrest can come from the fact that he is a resident of Edmonton and a taxpayer to the government that funds AHS and the medevac services it provides. That's all he needs.

Your vested interest is quite clear, you have a bus service to sell, Closing YXD would help you financially.
Since you also support the AHS with taxes feel free to add your opinion to the mix but don't be telling others that thier opinions arent valid or welcome.

Besides, all he is doing is passing along an information request to actual operators. That is independant of an involved interest.

Give

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

On the cab ride back into town I couldn't help but wonder about the patient and the medics in the ambulance driving all the way back to downtown Edmonton from Leduc.
except you don't fly critical paitents where minutes matter you fly stabalized paitents if there not stabilized they don't fly, and those lights and sirens on top of the ambulance and the hiway rather than the residential roads that the bus is travling on mean a difference of maybe 15 min in heavy traffic. There is an operator that does fly critical paitents and for that reason they land on the hospital roof or the grass out in front now if you can convince the city to move the runway/ramp on top of the alex you might have an argument here.

Last edited by aviator2010 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010
aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

it wouldn't be the first time an airplane has hit that building

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

Pull your head out of your ass, aviator2010. I've flown more than a few medevacs into CYXD with patients that became unstable during transport (and have even died on the plane). The medics are out of the gate with lights and sirens faster than you can say "ignorant troll". I agree that most patients are properly stabilized prior to transport but sometimes minutes do matter. You obviously haven't been in butt-f$ck nowhere with a red patient where it comes down to a judgment call: have the patient probably die here, or package them up as best you can and get them to advanced medical care. It's not all sunshine and rainbows flying medevac, and maybe when you get some more experience, you'll realize that. The shift to YEG won't hurt most patients, but it certainly isn't a good thing for all patients.

aviator2010 wrote:
On the cab ride back into town I couldn't help but wonder about the patient and the medics in the ambulance driving all the way back to downtown Edmonton from Leduc.
except you don't fly critical paitents where minutes matter you fly stabalized paitents if there not stabilized they don't fly, and those lights and sirens on top of the ambulance and the hiway rather than the residential roads that the bus is travling on mean a difference of maybe 15 min in heavy traffic. There is an operator that does fly critical paitents and for that reason they land on the hospital roof or the grass out in front now if you can convince the city to move the runway/ramp on top of the alex you might have an argument here.

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Captain X »

looproll wrote: The shift to YEG won't hurt most patients, but it certainly isn't a good thing for all patients.
+1

cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cyeg66 »

looproll wrote: The shift to YEG won't hurt most patients, but it certainly isn't a good thing for all patients.
Well, that's actually a pretty sensible remark. Can't really argue with that. +2

Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.
aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

I've flown more than a few medevacs into CYXD with patients that became unstable during transport (and have even died on the plane).
But let's face it, your frustration at the closure is less about the greater good and more about your drive to work

rex sterling
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rex sterling »

Aviator 2010, your ignorance never ceases to amaze me!

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Captain X »

aviator2010 wrote:But let's face it, your frustration at the closure is less about the greater good and more about your drive to work

95% of the medevac pilots are not based in CYXD. Looproll did not work for the edmonton medevac aircraft and as such has no beef when it comes to commute times

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

95% of the medevac pilots are not based in CYXD. Looproll did not work for the edmonton medevac aircraft and as such has no beef when it comes to commute times
is that a real statistic or did you just make that up?

Rex how's tindi treating you these days?

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Captain X »

aviator2010 wrote:is that a real statistic or did you just make that up?

do the math

YOJ, EZ4, YPE(2), YQU, YZH, YMM, YLB, YYC, YXH(2) YXD

So 12 AHS machines in the province and only 1 is in YXD! So 92% if you want to be nit picky

Last edited by Captain X on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

92% of all alberta based medivac pilots don't live in edmonton

if you say so it must be true

ditar
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ditar »

aviator2010 wrote:92% of all alberta based medivac pilots don't live in edmonton

Captain X's calculation did not pertain to living in Edmonton, but rather working in Edmonton. Did you already forget what your own statement was?
aviator2010 wrote:But let's face it, your frustration at the closure is less about the greater good and more about your drive to work

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

Post subject: Re: City Centre Medevac Study

aviator2010 wrote:
92% of all alberta based medivac pilots don't live in edmonton

Captain X's calculation did not pertain to living in Edmonton, but rather working in Edmonton. Did you already forget what your own statement was?

aviator2010 wrote:
But let's face it, your frustration at the closure is less about the greater good and more about your drive to work
I'm confussed, are you saying 92% of AB medivac pilots don't live in edmonton or 92% of AB medivac pilots don't work in edmonton. I call bullshit on either statistic and 99% of medivac pilots would prefer to land at city center for their personal conveniance rather than their paitents well being. Let's face it the favorite word in medivacs is Ambulatory cause it means the least amount of work

Widgeon Guy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Widgeon Guy »

aviator2010 show your real colors (slum developer2010)

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

I guess that's better than a 12 year old with a joy stick so I'll take it. Having said that I think I'm a nominee for a razzi. you be the judge

Return to “General Comments”