bahamas trip any suggestions

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: bahamas trip any suggestions

Post by co-joe »

That sounds like a tonne of fun. A little stress here and there to keep it interesting.
I diverted back to Abaco Island (Marsh Harbour) and stayed there two nights. It's probably the most boring place in all of Bahamas.
Funny. I'll be there in a few weeks visiting family. I really have no idea what to expect except maybe sand, and waves, and hopefully sun.
---------- ADS -----------

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

I did it when I was 19 in a 150. Crossed to Bimini from VBR and then spent 14 days island hoping. Just me and my SCBA gear! You'll need cross country time kids, don't waste your time flying around the same area.....
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
glorifieddriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by glorifieddriver »

I have once set off in that direction in an Archer. However I did not really have it as a plan, last minute thing, so when I got into FL, the weather held me back from doing the crossing. So after two days of waiting around, I decided to do all of FL instead. What a great decision. Flying and exploring the entire state was an amazing experience, I am glad I opted for it. Having gone almost all the way out there, definitely would like to try and do initially thought of plan and finally get over to the Bahamas. Using the archer was a delight, it gave me 110TAS, great payload and fairly comfortable to sit in for hours.

The FBO network and amenities are just out of this world amazing in the states. Eventually I would like to make it a point to visit every state. Make sure you stack up on the maps you might need in case you have to make a significant diversion enroute in the US. That saved me when I needed to do S pattern all over the place to get around weather. From my memory I spend in the ballpark of $200+ on maps if not $300.

LousyFisherman
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LousyFisherman »

ghazanhaider wrote: Snip....
The Exumas is the best part of Bahamas
Snip.....
Ghazan
+eleventy million

LF

Women and planes have alot in common
Both are expensive, loud, and noisy.
However, when handled properly both respond well and provide great pleasure
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Haven't been there myself yet (it's on my to-do list though) but the AOPA has lots of good info. They published some good write-ups in the latest issue (February) of AOPA Pilot, their membership magazine. As well, their website has some very good info too - check it out here - http://www.aopa.org/Flight-Planning/Bahamas

My ex-COPA membership fees are much better spent on my AOPA membership.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
aviatorguy1975
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aviatorguy1975 »

What an excellent write up - THANK YOU!

I haven't purchased my aircraft yet, but looking at a little Diamond DA-20 just for a small personal cheap MODERN flyer. I'm very familiar with them.

I vacation in the Bahamas every November, but looking to do the long XC from Western Canada in my own plane! Out of curiosity - how long did it take you to reach the Islands - in # of days? I have only just done so "dream" flight planning this trip, but nothing figured out yet!

Thats the part that I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around as I haven't done a lot of flying in the US, so not sure what is practical, and what is not.

Any other West Coasters take this trip?

ghazanhaider wrote:co-joe: I didnt start the thread but I'll bite.

I flew from Burlington, ON to Bahamas in the Novembers of the last two years. This was in a tiny Grumman AA1.

Its amazing how quickly the temperature changes. The jacket comes off south of PA and in WV the sweater came off.

The first thing you notice is how nice American FBOs are (compared to both Canadian and Bahamian)

I made a point of using different airports in FL each time. North FL was always iffy and hazy visibility wise in November.

I was always treated well at Bahamian customs in Freeport, although if you see a bigger plane they seem to ignore you a bit in lieu of them. The immigration office seems to be always confused about cruise permits, how many forms to fill, what to do next etc. I had to wait for the customs person in 2013 for 20+ minutes, but they let me go out to restrooms, use the Internet to book hotel etc.

Freeport is the coldest (relatively speaking) and yet the first resort + beach experience, the vacation starts there.

In 2013 my flight to Nassau was interrupted by a raincloud and I diverted back to Abaco Island (Marsh Harbour) and stayed there two nights. It's probably the most boring place in all of Bahamas.

The food is the best in the Caribbean and likely the most expensive with blackened Mahi Mahi at $26.

In Bahamas they just mix USD and Bahamian currency as they're equal. Expect a mix in change back from everyone. Just make sure all of the Bahamian currency is used up before you leave as you'll leave.

In 2014, I brought a wad of cash after realizing everyone likes to charge %6 on credit cards and exchange. I brought USD which helped with filling up gas as well back through USA.

I was never bugged about not booking hotels as I'm VFR and never know where I'll end up.

The Exumas is the best part of Bahamas, and quite expensive. I spent more time in Nassau trying to save money both times.

Last year the goal was to get a scuba license and fly to Dominican. I got the license in Nassau and stayed at Atlantis. Its a huge Vegas-like complex and I'll never go back there again. A small bottle of water was $7 USD and there are no drinking fountains. I stopped at a local supermarket with the dive instructor and stocked up on water and other supplies that are forbiddingly expensive in Atlantis.

My flight to Dominican was blocked by rains too. I stayed at Turks and Caicos where I originally intended to just refuel. This place is the most expensive part of my whole trip, with the cheapest hotel at $150 a night. Diving was also relatively expensive but it is one of the best diving spots in the world. It is only an hour away from one of the cheapest resort areas in Puerto Plata, but after the diving experience I'm not regretting having to stay in Provo.

I flew from Exuma International directly to Miami/Kendall. The US customs was the worst experience I have had yet. Over two hours of grilling, and they logged into my phone, read texts and facebook messages going back months (they took their time). They showed me homeland security leaflets that said if we deny access to electronics they will confiscate it, copy the contents and ship it back. In comparison, on my Mexico flight in July 2014, the San Diego customs asked me 5 questions on the tarmac and left me off in 3 minutes. I know its random but I'll likely never go back to Miami Kendall again.

Other points:

- If you use Philips 66, you wont find it anywhere in Bahamas or Turks. Take plenty with you. I had to mix Aeroshell on the way back.

- Provo airport will charge you over $200 in handling fees. Your plane is likely bigger than a Grumman AA1 so it certainly wont be cheaper.

- This handling fee includes the 'offered' shuttle to and from hotels, but you cannot reach them on a Monday to pick you back up, you'll have to use a taxi ($30-$50 USD)

- Prices in Turks are all slightly higher than generic Canadian prices for everything.

- Flying back through USA is depressing because you're coming back to the cold, but very low fuel and hotel prices, loaner cars and all amenities available make that a pleasure.

- The weather north of Erie has always been bad for me in Nov, both times both ways. .. running is the way to get back home close to legal limits over lake Erie for VFR.

PS. If I dont sell the AA1 this year, I'll certainly be back there next Nov!

Ghazan

ghazanhaider
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ghazanhaider »

> I vacation in the Bahamas every November, but looking to do the long XC from Western Canada in my own plane! Out of curiosity - how long did it take you to reach the Islands - in # of days? I have
> only just done so "dream" flight planning this trip, but nothing figured out yet!

From Burlington,ON, it took me 3 days each way to Freeport. It will take another 2 days to Providenciales, but vacation starts at Freeport.

I planned on pushing it to 8 hours flying per day to make it 2 days but smaller delays like fouled plugs (I carried extra and wrench) added a day just by adding 2 hours during available daylight. Last Nov however I was stuck in Stuart, FL for 2 extra nights so make it 4-5 days.

> Thats the part that I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around as I haven't done a lot of flying in the US, so not sure what is practical, and what is not.

It's extremely easy. Flight following is used very commonly and it makes flying through the busiest airspace a cinch. I'm still totally intimidated by YYZ and have not yet landed at Toronto Island, but I've been directly over Dallas Intl, all over LA and San Diego, over Orlando various times, Washington SFRA, Chicago airspace without being nervous about it. My thoughts when being routed between various airlines landing in the LA area was "thats it?". You dont have to plan on frequencies etc, flight following gives you new freq to dial into at each step. I frequently forget which center I'm talking to and I just call them 'center' or 'control'.

> Any other West Coasters take this trip?

Not a west coaster, but I had trouble flying high enough over Arizona as well as Washington state mountains. I imagine they would be the trickiest part of your flight in a DA20.

Have you considered visiting Puerto Vallarta and Cabo?

skymarc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skymarc »

Just came back from MYEF Great Exuma, Bahamas. Quiet Island, i liked it.
Airport and customs Fees were $118 for the week. No parking or ramp fees if you dont use the fbo.

Return to “General Comments”