Heathrow high tech snow removal

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

SierraPoppa
Rank 4
Rank 4

Heathrow high tech snow removal

Post by SierraPoppa »

A reported 13 centimeters (5.1") of snow ground Englands busiest airport to a virtual halt for four days.

Pictured below Heathrows high tech snow removal equipment at work. :smt040

Article explaining how they've been preparing for months for this eventuality. http://www.travelio.net/heathrows-snow-preparation.html

So the question is, how could this happen to "the worlds busiest international hub"?
---------- ADS -----------

HighDreams
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Heathrow high tech snow removal

Post by HighDreams »

HAHA. This makes me laugh....13 cms seriously brits? lol. Us Canadians get snow all the time and do you hear of flights being delayed due to 13 cm? Every year there's something like this at Heathrow. Think they'd learn.

Hawkerflyer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hawkerflyer »

I was in Luton, UK last year when they got hit with 9" of snow. The airport closed when the snow hit 2". Everything just stops! They do not have the means to deal with it. Hope all those folks make it out before Christmas!!

"Six of us broke formation, five Jerries and I". - George "Buzz" Beurling
ybwflyguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ybwflyguy »

Didn't Heathrow (or BAA I suppose) get bought by a Spanish consortium a few years ago? I'd be interested to see where all the revenue is going. The snow snowploughs used at YYC cost a few million bucks a piece, so I don't think an extra 500k quid is going to help next winter.

flyinggreasemonkey
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyinggreasemonkey »

LOL 13 CM?! With that little bit of snow, all we need is windshield wipers and 90km\h to clean off our cars over here.

YXU was opened quicker than 4 days with literally 10x more snow than Heathrow.

Lucan (20 minutes north of YXU) got 189cm of snow in the past 3 weeks and they go on like it's nothing.

modi13
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by modi13 »

HighDreams wrote:Us Canadians get snow all the time and do you hear of flights being delayed due to 13 cm?
Only in Vancouver. The moment a single snowflake falls every car is off the road and people gather around their snow removal equipment like scared, confused chimps.

SierraPoppa
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SierraPoppa »

BAA CEO Colin Matthews has decided not to take his bonus this year and he's agreed to spend £10 million on new snow removal equipment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/dec/2 ... -equipment

Too little too late for the thousands of travelers who won't make it to wherever they were going for Christmas.

And yes BAA is controlled by Ferrovial, a Spanish conglomerate.

According to the linked article in the first post "a snow plough costs around £250,000" (approx $390,000 Cdn).

howard40
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by howard40 »

That stuff is wet and heavy. it is not like the stuff calgary gets, Maybe it is a bit like what calgary gets in May!
heavy slop. it would not be much fun in toronto with that stuff.
regards

aviator2010
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aviator2010 »

HAHA. This makes me laugh....13 cms seriously brits? lol. Us Canadians get snow all the time and do you hear of flights being delayed due to 13 cm? Every year there's something like this at Heathrow. Think they'd learn.
I seem to recall YVR and YYZ having trouble this time last year getting flights out. running out of deice fluid and all in all it being a shit show. AC was only operating their widebody's WS got a slap on the pee pee for deicing at the gate. might have been 2008 but regardless Canada has the ability to @#$! up airport operations just like the british

Panama Jack wrote:I'm afraid I will have to agree with aviator2010
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Oddly enough when this was going on there was a soccer game on the TV, you could see how much snow they had cleared off the field off past the sidelines to make it clean and green. Obviously the Brits have the capability to move large ammounts of snow when it matters...

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
SierraPoppa
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SierraPoppa »

aviator2010 wrote:
regardless Canada has the ability to @#$! up airport operations just like the british
No-one is saying Canada is immune to major screw ups, but really five inches of snow closes a major international airport for three to five days.

That is a @#$!-up of monumental proportions.

What the hell were they doing during that period?

Flying Low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Flying Low »

Clearing all the football (soccer) stadiums of course!

"The ability to ditch an airplane in the Hudson does not qualify a pilot for a pay raise. The ability to get the pilots, with this ability, to work for 30% or 40% pay cuts qualifies those in management for millions in bonuses."
SierraPoppa
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by SierraPoppa »

Flying Low wrote:Clearing all the football (soccer) stadiums of course!
Of course the country may grind to a halt but football must go on. :)

alctel
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by alctel »

The problem is that for as long as I lived in England (from the 1980s up to 2006) there was never really any snowfall. One or two years we got maybe an inch, if that, but most years it either didn't snow at all or there was half a cm or so.

However apparently in the last 2-3 years there has been a lot of snow falling (more than the previous 20 years put together), and of course noone knows how to deal with it. Maybe they will prepare for it next year.

Same thing happened in Vancouver 2 years ago when I lived there, everything ground to a halt!

AlphaSierra
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AlphaSierra »

I don't think there are many countries in the world that do snow removal and deicing at airports better than we do here in Canada. Funny thing, about two weeks ago, I was talking to a lady who works on the accounting side of my job. She was telling me what we spent on deice fluid last year, and how prominent a line it was on the budget. I don't think she's grumbling about it now!!!

Return to “General Comments”