F-35 looking more like white elephant

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

frosti
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: F-35 looking more like white elephant

Post by frosti »

Big Pistons Forever wrote:Since the PW F117 engine was the derivative of the civil PW2000 engine chosen to power the C 17 I fail to see your point...........
A 5th gen engine is a 5th gen engine. PW has demonstrated that they are more than capable of providing powerplants for the next gen fighter jet. The PW2000, F117 are all successful, what will make the F135 any different? Because there is only one of them?
Colonel Sanders wrote:I guess you have forgotten the used CF-101 Voodoos we got from the US. Before your time.

BTW, you very clearly think I'm stupid compared to you. I accept your rhetoric. What did you net last year? Since I am stupid, you obviously cleared more than I did.
That makes a difference how? You are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
WileyCoyote wrote:Was there even a competition? Or did the government just bend over in return for some other back door deal?
Search.
---------- ADS -----------

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

Frosti

Don't know you, don't post here much but I take some annoyance with this as I am ex military and have a kid in the application system...
If buying used hardware is such a great idea we would have done that already. Who cares about our pilots right? Let them fly the things until they break apart in the air, just so we can "save" a few bucks. The CF-18 is almost done, the wings are cracking and you can only stuff so much upgraded avionics in it.
Guess you didn't read this part, or ignored it...
Overhauling and custom tailoring them to our needs in Canada using Canadian Technology (we have the companies by the way), buying the licenses if needed and then putting them into service.
and these parts
and the ability to produce our own spares as required as well as continue to maintain and overhaul.
As well as rebuilding an important industry and technology.
Australia has re tubbed (main structure) and re winged it's F-18As effectively producing a new aircraft while keeping the jobs and dollars to the largest extent in Australia.

There is no reason we could not do the same thing and upgrade airframes, engines and avionics at the same time or for that matter. We have the expertise, the skills and the companies.

Gee we could actually wind up with a selection of aircraft to meet current and future mission profiles putting Canadians to work and keeping the money here.

Stealth, sorry I'll pass, there are already technologies under development that will use thermal tracking and wake turbulence tracking to defeat stealth.

Frankly I'd rather have no stealth on Northern and coastal patrols so they know we are watching and touring around.

In addition Canada has traditionally operated in support of NATO/UN missions, not been the aggressor and I don't believe we ever should be the aggressor. As such the first strike/stealth benefit becomes very limited as our southern allies will use theirs to deal withe radars etc, as per 2 Gulf Wars.

Sorry about the curt tone but frosti's opening shot set the stage.

Colonel Saunders
I remember the Voodoos if other don't and while they served us well they were a straight used piece.

I would rather we buy aircraft and go all the way through them tip to tail with new structure and mods as needed before they entered service.

That way we effectively wind up with new aircraft and our own upgrades we could market to other users of the same airframes around the world.

My highly opinionated 2 bits anyway

Tom

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

While we are at it

We need a heck of alot more than 65 fighters...double, triple that number.

Tom

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

This looks like a pretty serious discussion...not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MercerRepor ... Gr5maEz5WI

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

flyincanuck wrote:This looks like a pretty serious discussion...not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MercerRepor ... Gr5maEz5WI

:lol: :lol:

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

WileyCoyote wrote:Was there even a competition? Or did the government just bend over in return for some other back door deal?
Our F-35 isn't following the traditional competitive procurement process. Canada, along with several other nations, is funding the development of the aircraft.

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

Colonel Sanders wrote:You're right - it's not even worth doing a comparison, because we all know russian stuff is all junk. This is why whenever a western astronaut wants to go into space, he has to ride a russian rocket.

If we agree with your opinion that all russian stuff is junk, why would we need a good airplane anyways?
I never said it was junk. Il never implied it either.
I never said it was not worth a comparison.
I asked you 4 questions that I hoped you'd try to answer in a rational and straightforward way. Instead, you chose to just put words in my mouth and then continue to act as thought everybody was always attacking you.

frosti
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by frosti »

Tom H wrote:Australia has re tubbed (main structure) and re winged it's F-18As
Which will eventually be replaced by the F-35. Sound familiar? We already replaced the centre barrel on ours.
Tom H wrote:We need a heck of alot more than 65 fighters...double, triple that number.
So you want to throw away money by keeping and old-ass fighter jet in the air for decades, but in the next post you want to spend double, triple to acquire more F35's. :lol:
Simple jokes, for a simple crowd.

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

Which will eventually be replaced by the F-35. Sound familiar? We already replaced the centre barrel on ours.
Wrong
So you want to throw away money by keeping and old-ass fighter jet in the air for decades, but in the next post you want to spend double, triple to acquire more F35's.
Quit drinking the Kool Aid dude. We need more aircraft, I never said F-35s (you did) and the advantage of what I am talking about is the ability to have more without breaking the bank.

Tom

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

frosti wrote:
Tom H wrote:We need a heck of alot more than 65 fighters...double, triple that number.
So you want to throw away money by keeping and old-ass fighter jet in the air for decades, but in the next post you want to spend double, triple to acquire more F35's. :lol:

I don't thinkTom H said anything about buying triple the number of proposed F35s - he said double or triple the proposed 65 fighters, and his argument was that achieving this would be much easier with a lower unit cost per aircraft, i.e. no F35s at all but rather by moving to F15s, F18s and F18E Super Hornets.

There is a general and widespread concern, I think, with whether 65 aircraft will be enough to see this model through its useful life given attrition through hull losses, etc. and this concern is probably warranted looking at the number of CF18s which have been lost since that model was introduced back in the mid-1980s (and the historical loss rates of any new high-performance aircraft used by pretty much any military, including the RCAF).

flyincanuck
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by flyincanuck »

frosti wrote:
Simple jokes, for a simple crowd.
Are they jokes? Or is it the P/O you're referring to?

frosti
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by frosti »

Tom H wrote:
Wrong
We never had center barrel replacements, our wings don't crack? What? :?
YYZSaabGuy wrote:I don't thinkTom H said anything about buying triple the number of proposed F35s - he said double or triple the proposed 65 fighters, and his argument was that achieving this would be much easier with a lower unit cost per aircraft, i.e. no F35s at all but rather by moving to F15s, F18s and F18E Super Hornets.
So having an old fleet of used F15s (which are also having fatigue issues with age), F18's, and Supers will cost less to maintain, fly, have a parts support network, train people for three different types, than it will having a fleet of NEW 65-80 F35's. :rolleyes: Some is drinking the Kool-aid indeed. Personally no, I don't think 65 of the F35 will be enough, but I'm not in charge of National Defense. Let the professionals do their jobs, it's what they are paid for, not some internet forum trolls who think they know better......
Are they jokes? Or is it the P/O you're referring to?
The RM video.

frosti
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by frosti »

Anyways, back in the real world......

External weapons testing has begun. :)

Tom H
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Tom H »

We never had center barrel replacements, our wings don't crack? What?
Putting words into peoples mouths is generally not the way to win a debate.

Tubs have had structure repairs and upgrades but have not been replaced as per Australia.

There have been wing cracks, never said there wasn't...you did.
So having an old fleet of used F15s (which are also having fatigue issues with age), F18's, and Supers will cost less to maintain, fly, have a parts support network, train people for three different types, than it will having a fleet of NEW 65-80 F35's.
Once again you don't read.
Guess you didn't read this part, or ignored it...
Quote:
Overhauling and custom tailoring them to our needs in Canada using Canadian Technology (we have the companies by the way), buying the licenses if needed and then putting them into service.

and these parts
Quote:
and the ability to produce our own spares as required as well as continue to maintain and overhaul.

Quote:
As well as rebuilding an important industry and technology.

Australia has re tubbed (main structure) and re winged it's F-18As effectively producing a new aircraft while keeping the jobs and dollars to the largest extent in Australia.

There is no reason we could not do the same thing and upgrade airframes, engines and avionics at the same time or for that matter. We have the expertise, the skills and the companies.

Gee we could actually wind up with a selection of aircraft to meet current and future mission profiles putting Canadians to work and keeping the money here.
So yes we can rebuild and reequip other airframes to new status or better, while we are at it we can standardize all the cockpits to make transitioning from one to the other easier.

Unless you think Canadians are not capable...I believe and industry shows we are.

Plus we keep the majority of the dollars and the jobs in Canada.
Let the professionals do their jobs, it's what they are paid for, not some internet forum trolls who think they know better......
So politicians are professionals in aerospace and defense? they make the decisions and set the policy.
After a comment like that I know who the troll is....
Anyways, back in the real world......

External weapons testing has begun.
With those nice big flat surfaces...so much for stealth.

IMO
Tom

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Tom: I wouldn't bother arguing with the arrogant, condescending politicians here.

They're going to blow billions of dollars we don't have, on junk that doesn't work, that we don't need anyways.

And if you dare to question them, they screech and honk at you that you are too stupid and aren't even worthy enough to ask a question.

And even if they did allow you to ask a question, they wouldn't answer it on the grounds of "National Security".

Reminds me of the Nixon thugs, who similarly tried to hide behind "National Security". I find when a thug starts to lecture me about "National Security", I find it illuminating to replace the word "National" in his rhetoric, with "My Job". Then his elliptical ranting starts to make sense.

As taxpayers, we can only hope that the USA pulls the plug on the F35. Looks like they're moving in that direction.

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

Colonel Sanders wrote: They're going to blow billions of dollars we don't have, on junk that doesn't work, that we don't need anyways.
Could you please explain to us as to how you know that the F35 is junk and won't work, and why we don't need it?
I'm not a politician nor am I condescending. I'm just asking you to elaborate on what you propose. Is this really too much to ask?
So far you just act as thought the whole world is always stupid and against you (it might be close to the reality, but it's not exactly like that), so instead of arguing reasonnably, you prefer personal attacks and logical fallacies.
Pretty much everyone on this board knows you are much better than that.

Colonel Sanders wrote: And if you dare to question them, they screech and honk at you that you are too stupid and aren't even worthy enough to ask a question.
You are the one who doubts the authorities on the matter, therefore it would be normal to expect that you offer us some arguments, not some personnal attacks and half truths.

Colonel Sanders wrote: And even if they did allow you to ask a question, they wouldn't answer it on the grounds of "National Security".

You don't accept the fact that some information about military procurement might be classified for good reasons? I'm willing to read your explanations.

Colonel Sanders wrote: As taxpayers, we can only hope that the USA pulls the plug on the F35. Looks like they're moving in that direction.
Why do you think they're moving in that direction?
So far they only delayed the purchase of a tiny fraction of the airplanes they plan on buying.

I see you often point out everything that might seem bad for the F35. Things like the fact that Japan chose this airplane after an open competition, and said that the price was a big part of their decision, pass right through you don't they?

Tom H wrote: With those nice big flat surfaces...so much for stealth.
Nothing is perfectly stealth(y?). It's not either "I see you on my radar" or "damn you are invisible". It's much more like "If you are at X distance from me, I think I can see you".
For missions that need the maximum stealth, they'll carry what they need internally. For missions that need more armaments, they'll add pylons, which will indeed reduce the stealth(iness?), not negate totally the advantages of the design.

So CS, I'll try again to get you to elaborate. Previously, I asked you this:
trampbike wrote: CS, do you have any idea how expensive is the PAK-FA and how much it would cost to change the avionics and operate it? Notice how I don't say that you are stupid and that it is obvious that the F35 would be cheaper. I'm really just asking

Can you explain to us how the PAK-FA would be a better choice than the F35 for the role that Canada intends it to have? Notice how I don't say you don't know crap and that there is no way a Russian jet could do the job. I'm really just asking.

Given our total lack of knowledge about complex systems such as DAS, can you povide us with reasons as to why the PAK-FA would outperform the F35? Notice I don't say you never heard anything about military jets and that the systems of the F35 make it the best fighter in world. I'm really just asking.

Given the recently proven combat superiority (let's say since the F15 and F16 are operational) of western fighters against russian jets, what makes you think the PAK-FA kicks ass that much? Notice I don't say russian stuff is junk, I'm just pointing out that last decades combat records show a clear Western fighters domination. Is it the pilot, the airplanes or both? I don't even go there. I'm really just asking.

See, I really just want to read a good debate (my position on the F35 neither for it nor against it, my position is that we probably just can't know enough to have a clear cut opinion about it), and I know you are smart enough and have the knowledge to contribute to such a debate.

Thanks in advance

Olivier Savaria
PPL
2/3 of a meteorology degree
177h TT, on 6 different types of low performance SE airplanes
Most manoeuverable airplane ever flown: Grumman AA1c
Fire breathing dragon taildragger flown: Aeronca Champ :lol:

(see what I did there, I don't even hide behind a screen name (see here, I'm not even implying that you do that, I know very well who you are and everyone knows it too on this forum, partly because you make sure everyone hears about you and see picture of your nice inverted takeoff, partly because you contribute a lot to the forum and help a lot of people improve their flying skills), and I do not pretend I'm an awesome pilot with tons of experience.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

A few things.... First, the price. The JSF is going to be CHEAPER, I say again, CHEAPER than most 4.5 Gen fighters (Super Hornet, Rafale, Eurofighter).

Second, a few people talk about payload. I got news for you. Let's compare....

F/A-18 on a Strike mission carrying 2000 lbs class weapons:

3 External Fuel Tanks, 1 X AIM-120 AMRAAM, 2XAIM-9 Sidewinder, 1XSniper Pod, 2XGBU-10 Paveway II or GBU-31 JDAM. That's all you can carry, and you are hogged up, basically a pig in space. Your combat radius after refueling is roughly 400NM, with 17300 lbs of gas. 50 000 lbs all up weight. Trust: 32 000 lbs (so, trust to weight of 0.52)

F-35 on a Strike mission carrying 2000lbs class weapons:

0 external stores, 2XAIM-120 AMRAAM, 2XGBU-10 Paveway II or GBU-31 JDAM, 1XIntegrated Sniper Pod. All internally, with 18100 lbs of gas for 550 NM of combat radius. Did I say it does not carry any external stores? 53000 lbs all up weight. Trust: 43 000 lbs, so trust to weight of 0.81. With better avionics, better survivability, better everything.

Not to mention, not as draggy as a hogged up Hornet.

Someone said that the US will take care of the Air Defense Systems on the first day of the war. Sure, but there will always be SAMs here and there that are going to be active. Just look at Iraq 1, Kosovo and Libya more recently.

Maneuverability is not all that's needed anymore. Boyd had a great idea, when there was no reliable BVR missiles. Nowadays, tactics and the risk level accepted by the commanders are such that it would be amazing to actually see a full up dogfight. Being hard to see by sensors and having long range BVR capabilities is far more important than being able to turn at 20 degrees per second inside a 2000' circle.

Recycled 4th gen aircraft is not the solution. It would cost us more in the long run. Don't forget we need those fighters to last us for the next 35+ years.

trampbike
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by trampbike »

AuxBatOn wrote:...the risk level accepted by the commanders are such that it would be amazing to actually see a full up dogfight. .
Care to elaborate on that?
Thanks

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

trampbike wrote:
Care to elaborate on that?
Thanks
I'll pass.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

At this rate - we won't be able to train anyone.....let alone defend anything. :roll:

"Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Tuesday opened the door for a possible cut in the number of F-35 fighter jets Canada will buy, after reports that the United States was scaling back its purchase plans.

"There's a budget for that and the government has been clear, we will operate within that budget," Harper said in parliament about the project."

http://www.canada.com/technology/Price+ ... story.html

Return to “General Comments”