Youth ANR headset

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Youth ANR headset

Post by Skymark »

Anyone know anything about SoftComm headsets? I'm looking for an inexpensive ANR headset for my son and found a youth SoftComm headset on Aircraft Spruce. Are they any good? Any other recommendations for a youth ANR headset?
---------- ADS -----------

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Youth ANR headset

Post by C-GKNT »

Could you define "youth" and "inexpensive"?

My son started wearing a Bose (no not inexpensive) when he was 3 1/2. I used to wonder if they fit him properly as they seem too big. One day I had a friend in the plane with us and I asked my son to let our guest wear the Bose...he threw a tantrum and absolutely refused to wear the passive head that he used to wear (and had worn on a trip across Canada). He could certainly tell the difference so I figured it fit OK. So depending on your definition of "youth", an adult headset might be suitable.

As for inexpensive (well relatively inexpensive), he has been using a Lightspeed Sierra since he was 5.

Good choice to look for an ANR, the extra protection is worth it.

Glenn

Skymark
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Skymark »

Youth - my son is 7
Inexpensive - under $500

He has been using a LightSpeed QFR set and they seem to be working for him, but they seem to be a bit big on him.

I have a DC set with ANR. I think once you use an ANR set, you won't go back to a non-ANR.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

Skymark wrote:Youth - my son is 7
Inexpensive - under $500

He has been using a LightSpeed QFR set and they seem to be working for him, but they seem to be a bit big on him.

I have a DC set with ANR. I think once you use an ANR set, you won't go back to a non-ANR.
I agree 100% with your comments about ANR.

I would not fly my kids until they would keep a headset on, probably 2 1/2 or so. At that time they also used a Lightspeed QFR. I think that they are one of the smallest "adult" headsets you can get. At first I had to tie up a rolled up pair of socks in the headband to get them to fit.

I had an old pair of DC (passives) but they definitely would not fit the kids, the headband was too stiff and could not get small enough for their heads.

Both my kids (now 6 and 7) have been using LightSpeed Sierras very comfortably for a while. It is possible that my kids have big heads but I think it is because even though the Sierras are bigger, they have a greater range of flexibility in the headband than the QFR's. My suggestion would be to borrow a set of the Sierras and see if your son likes them. If so, trade in the QFR for a Sierra ($600-$150 trade-in -->within your budget). The Sierra is actually really good, almost as good as the ZULU 2's that I use but plastic and not Magnesium.

At 7, this is a much easier than when they are younger, just put a headset on and JUST ASK HIM. I'm guessing that they won't fit but...has he tried your DC-ANR's?

Where are you located? If you are anywhere near me (Central Alberta), I can lend you one of ours and you can try it out.

Glenn

Return to “General Comments”