**UPDATED** Cold Altitude Correction - IPhone & BlackBerry

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

A-Team
Rank 2
Rank 2

**UPDATED** Cold Altitude Correction - IPhone & BlackBerry

Post by A-Team »

Hi Everyone:

I’ve created a Cold Altitude Correction Spreadsheet for you to be able to use it on your mobile phone so you are able to quickly calculate the corrected altitudes. It’s a pretty handy tool and it’s pretty easy to use – plus it’s Free! :D

I’ve been asked to create this spreadsheet because a lot of people don’t like to crunch numbers early/late in their work day and don’t like it when their runway changes last minute and they have to recalculate their numbers. After being confronted with the challenge and giving it some thought; I figured it would be a good idea because it would decrease the amount of time of having your head down looking at your Cap Apch & Cap Gen instead of flying the plane (especially single pilot like at our company.)

To quickly address the reactions I`ve heard when pitching the idea:
(1) Yes, I know Colt Alt Correcting is at the pilots discretion, not mandatory, and that the Cap Gen says ``Should`` not ``Shall``
(2) Yes, I know that Canada is one of the only countries that does Cold Alt Corrections
(3) Yes, You will need to run this Spreadsheet on your phone, but what`s the difference between doing calculations on a Cellphone and a Calculator? In fact, for many years before the French created an official word for “Computer” (Ordinateur) they called it a Calculator “Calculatrice.”

**IMPORTANT** DISCLAIMER

This Spreadsheet was created for the “Documents To Go” & "Quickoffice" Program for IPHONE & BLACKBERRY

I know it works on Documents To Go Version 4.0.2 or newer & Quickoffice on the Iphone / Documents To Go Version 2.0 & Quickoffice on the BlackBerry. Even with that being said, it’s freeware and I am not responsible if it does not work on your phone.

I created it on a spreadsheet rather than an App so that it`s not specific to the phone and other people can use it for FREE – With that in mind, I have hit an obstacle - Running calculations of an Excel Spreadsheet on a mobile device is rather new programming and other applications CANNOT handle complicated equations, support all of the functions, support all of the features. This means that this Spreadsheet may not work on your device if you try to run it on:
- A different program
- A different phone

Documents To Go & Quickoffice are the two major mobile office applications out there - As well as IPhone and Blackberry are two major phones. I can't see why it wouldn't work for your phone or application, but I simply don't have them to test it out on to guarantee it.

The ideal spreadsheet that was created (Cold Alt Lookup – Sheets) has multiple sheets, named ranges, data validation, and sheet protection – But these features aren’t yet supported on mobile device applications.

*******************************************************************************************

HOW TO INSTALL AND USE THE SPREADSHEET:

Note: Test out the application to make sure it works on your phone and that the equations are in fact working correctly before flying them. I am not responsible for any brown adrenaline stains in anyone’s underpants if you fly incorrect altitudes and scare yourself.

HOW TO DOWNLOAD ON PHONE:

These steps are for the IPHONE and Documents To Go or Quickoffice but should generally be the same for any smartphone

Step 1. Install “Documents To Go” via your phones “App Store” or visit this link: http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/

or

Step 1. Install "Quickoffice" via your phones "App Store" or visit this link: http://www.quickoffice.com/

NOTE: If you purchase this App and it does not work on your phone model – I am not responsible for any costs. This is a program I use all the time anyways, I’m sure you will as well!

Step 2. Save file onto your computer: select the “Cold Alt Lookup – Mobile” Link below, Select ``File``, ``Download As``, and choose ``Excel``

NOTE:
DOCUMENTS TO GO OR NEWER PROGRAMS USE:
Cold Alt Lookup – Mobile_New: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CMLY__AP

QUICKOFFICE OR OLDER PROGRAMS USE:
Cold Alt Lookup - Mobile_Old: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CMmGv7kH

Step 3. E-mail the “Cold Alt Lookup – Mobile” File to your Phone`s E-mail Account

Step 4. Open the E-mail on your phone and Select the Attached File

Step 5. Select “Open in…” and choose “Docs To Go” or "Quickoffice"

Step 6. For Documents To Go: Select the Bottom Left “File” Icon and choose “Save As”.
Select the “Save” Button on the Top Right of your phone

For Quickoffice: Modify a Cell, then Select the Top Left "Back" Icon and choose "Save As".
Select A Folder and select the "Choose"Documents" in Bottom Right corner
Finally Select "Done" in Bottom Right corner

The spreadsheet is now saved to your phone for future use

The End

HOW TO USE:

Step 1. Verify the Effective Date is the same as on the CAP GEN Cold Alt Chart page for proper values **
image host

Step 2. Enter Aerodrome Elevation
image uploader

Step 3. Enter Aerodrome Temperature
adult image hosting

Step 4. Enter Published Altitudes from CAP Approach into the “Published” Column
upload images

Step 5. Copy Corrected Values from the “Corrected” Column onto sticky note pad and Fly Approach
hosting images

The End

** If the CAP GEN chart ever updates – Simply go to the chart section (RED), change the numbers and update the effective date. Or – hold on tight, I’ll republish an updated spreadsheet.
image uploader

Well… That’s it! If anyone wants to tinker with the full spreadsheet “Cold Alt Lookup – Sheets”, it’s attached here and the password is “canada” to unlock the sheet for editing.
Cold Alt Lookup – Sheets: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CLbc4YYP

Have fun and I hope it works on your device!

Enjoy,

Al
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by A-Team on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
A-Team
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Cold Altitude Correction Mobile Phone Spreadsheet

Post by A-Team »

Please let me know if anyone is using this on their phone and it's not an IPhone or BlackBerry. I'm just curious if it works on other platforms like on the Android (I can't see why it wouldn't)

Last edited by A-Team on Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bezerker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Cold Altitude Correction Mobile Phone Spreadsheet

Post by bezerker »

Great to see someone putting there time into making aviation easier for others.

Two comments,

One, is there anyone flying commercially whose COM/FOM says cold weather corrections are optional? You have to be insane not to use corrected altitudes, especially in mountainous regions.

Two, here is an easier way to do the corrections:

-10 add 10% of the HAT
-30 add 20% of the HAT
-50 add 30% of the HAT

Interpolate other numbers and always round up. You should be able to compute the 5 or 6 altitudes on an approach as fast as you can write them down and it is 100% accurate (or errs a bit on the safe side).

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on
A-Team
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: **UPDATED** Cold Altitude Correction - IPhone & BlackBer

Post by A-Team »

Hi Everyone:

I've updated the files with a re-written equation which now supports BlackBerrys & Iphones when it's run on Documents To Go.

I have also re-named the columns to shrink its width for easier use on the BlackBerry narrower screen.

You can download the Updated File by clicking on the original link of the first post, or this Link:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CMLY__AP

This file should work on other platforms other than BB or IPhone (like Android, Palm, or Windows); as long as it's being opened in Documents To Go because the other applications are either only "Viewers" or their calculating capabilities are limited. I just don't have access to these platforms to test it out on.

If you do try it on an Android, Palm, or Windows phone - please let us know for other users

Thank you,

Al

Last edited by A-Team on Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Severe Clear
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Severe Clear »

Are you kidding me? We have resorted to apps and spread sheets to help us calculate cold temperature corrections? Just so you can round up anyways? I bet I can do it just as fast the normal way if not faster then have to worry about screwing around with a cell phone to help me figure out cold temperature corrections... What if the cell phone dies? Or there is a glitch in the app?

I want to see someone dial in 3186 feet into an altitude selector... It's going to be 3200...

Do we need an app to help us figure out REF speed when the wind is gusting to 30 knots as well?

Seriously... Come on...

Just my 2 cents..

SC

A-Team
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by A-Team »

Hi Everyone:

This is my last update...

I have now made it compatible for Quickoffice and older mobile applications. The link can be found in the first post or here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CMmGv7kH

With it working on Iphone & Blackberry as well as Documents To Go and Quickoffice, I'm pretty satisfied. As I've mentioned, it will probably work for your phone, I just don't have any other platform phones to test it out on to guarantee it.

Enjoy,

Al

A-Team
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by A-Team »

Are you kidding me? We have resorted to apps and spread sheets to help us calculate cold temperature corrections?
Just like flying a plane isn’t hard – you can disconnect your auto-pilot, turn off your gps, and hand-fly Victors your entire career

I’m also sure that you don’t do your flight planning by hand everyday either - you probably use a program to determine your wind correction, GS, fuel burns etc… It’s not hard to figure that out, but it’s surely nice to sleep in later knowing that you don’t have to jump on your E6B to fill out your Flight Plan.

You are correct, you will never use it to the exact number and yes it isn't hard at all to figure out by chart... but nobody’s forcing you to use it either… Just thought it would make life easier, but fill your boots, go ahead and pull out the Cap Gen 13 hours into your duty day when your runway changes from 12 to 30 because the visibility dropped below approach ban.

It’s also more for those flying in the mountains, not medevac in the prairies.

Technology is beautiful

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Severe Clear wrote:Are you kidding me? We have resorted to apps and spread sheets to help us calculate cold temperature corrections? Just so you can round up anyways? I bet I can do it just as fast the normal way if not faster then have to worry about screwing around with a cell phone to help me figure out cold temperature corrections... What if the cell phone dies? Or there is a glitch in the app?

I want to see someone dial in 3186 feet into an altitude selector... It's going to be 3200...

Do we need an app to help us figure out REF speed when the wind is gusting to 30 knots as well?

Seriously... Come on...

Just my 2 cents..

SC

And what if you make a mistake doing it the old fashioned way? If there's a way to make something easier to reduce workload, don't you think it's worth it to give it a go?

Severe Clear
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Severe Clear »

If anything this is increasing work load.. How much time does it take to fiddle around with a cell phone and plug all those extra numbers in? How bout the next flight, the Captain does it the normal way, and FO plugs all those numbers into a spread sheet and see who finishes first... I guarentee it will be very close if not the captain will finish first. This is how lazy the new generation of pilots has become. If cold temperature corrections were something that most people thought should be made easier don't you think there would be a gaget already in the cockpit to do them for us? Like GPS?

Now.. "Angry Birds"... There is an APP that every pilot needs!

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Severe Clear, I don't think this spreadsheet was meant for those that fly legacy aircraft, have trouble figuring out how to use that pesky phone thingy, and can't get their VCR to stop blinking 12:00, 12:00, 12:00.

If it is faster or easier for you to add the numbers on paper, please do so.

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PunkStarStudios »

Or you can just install the iPhone app that does both Canada and US calculations

http://itunes.com/apps/ColdAirCorrection

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Severe Clear wrote:If anything this is increasing work load.. How much time does it take to fiddle around with a cell phone and plug all those extra numbers in? How bout the next flight, the Captain does it the normal way, and FO plugs all those numbers into a spread sheet and see who finishes first... I guarentee it will be very close if not the captain will finish first. This is how lazy the new generation of pilots has become. If cold temperature corrections were something that most people thought should be made easier don't you think there would be a gaget already in the cockpit to do them for us? Like GPS?

Now.. "Angry Birds"... There is an APP that every pilot needs!

Angry birds is dangerously addictive!

Anyways, I don't find the app to increase my workload. I use it on my trips and I never waste more than a few seconds with it. Definitely a lot quicker than doing it the old fashioned way and it works for me. Otherwise, I wouldn't use it. But everyone's apps are different, so are their opinions and preferences. So I'm just going to leave it at that.

Raybanman
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Raybanman »

PunkStarStudios wrote:Or you can just install the iPhone app that does both Canada and US calculations

http://itunes.com/apps/ColdAirCorrection
That doesn't work properly, and isn't supported by the developer anymore... I had this app for a while and found serious mistakes in it, namely while correcting very cold temps, -40 to -50 ish. waste of money. Emails about it were not answered.

Some people are like slinkies: Not much good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
A-Team
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by A-Team »

That doesn't work properly, and isn't supported by the developer anymore... I had this app for a while and found serious mistakes in it, namely while correcting very cold temps, -40 to -50 ish. waste of money. Emails about it were not answered.
I read the reviews on that Iphone App and it seems like a lot of people had problems with it and feel ousted from $.

That's why I decided to just create my own w/more input boxes, spreadsheet so it's supported on other phones, and free. I'm also taking the numbers straight from the CAP Gen Chart instead of using the scientific equation so things don't go funky chicken, and published the corrections table at the bottom so people can see how it works.

Hopefully people use it and my time wasn't all in vain - Then again it was a great way to be productive during a stormy weekend and listen to good music.

I've thrown this spreadsheet a collection of numbers until I've confused myself :rolleyes: and it seems to be able to handle it all. PM me if you have any difficulties.

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

A-Team wrote:
I read the reviews on that Iphone App and it seems like a lot of people had problems with it and feel ousted from $.

That's why I decided to just create my own w/more input boxes, spreadsheet so it's supported on other phones, and free. I'm also taking the numbers straight from the CAP Gen Chart instead of using the scientific equation so things don't go funky chicken, and published the corrections table at the bottom so people can see how it works.

Hopefully people use it and my time wasn't all in vain - Then again it was a great way to be productive during a stormy weekend and listen to good music.

I've thrown this spreadsheet a collection of numbers until I've confused myself :rolleyes: and it seems to be able to handle it all. PM me if you have any difficulties.
This is all news to me.

I personally use it all the time and have Jazz and Georgian friends that do as well.
If someone will point out where they think it isn't working we'll fix it.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

I've also got a number of Punkstar's apps on my iPod and use them regularly and have yet to find a problem. I've recommended them to a number of people I work with and they all seem happy with it.

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

Stinky wrote:I've also got a number of Punkstar's apps on my iPod and use them regularly and have yet to find a problem. I've recommended them to a number of people I work with and they all seem happy with it.
Thanks Stinky. :-)

Anyone who finds an issue with Cold Air or the other ones should email info@punkstarstudios.com.
With the number of apps, and the fact the app store is segmented by country - it's impossible for developers to rely on the App Store review system to get feedback.

PunkStarStudios
Rank 3
Rank 3

I've just heard from someone else who was skeptical about the app given the thread here. He did end up downloading it after talking to me, and reported back that it looks fine to him. :-)

He did have some UI/feature suggestions (like emailing/printing) which I think makes sense; so we'll do an update as soon as this Pilatus project is off our plane.

SkyWriterSoft
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SkyWriterSoft »

Your iPhone app looks great. But I don't understand "Pilatus project is off our plane"? Did you mean "plate"? What are you working on?

navrick
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by navrick »

There's a new app on the Canadian App Store called "ColdAltitude". It uses the same formula as the AIM. I've cross-checked it with the approach plate correction chart and it's good to go! :)

Return to “General Comments”