Landing Fees on Vancouver Island.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MichaelP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Landing Fees on Vancouver Island.

Post by MichaelP »

Over the past year I have had two landing fee invoices from Qualicum Beach Airport (SportStar, and DA40).
Today I have one from Tofino, $16.80c for one of our DA20s.

I see that Nanaimo will charge us if we land the SportStar there as it's registered as an ultralight... It's a tax on an environment friendly aircraft...

Are any other flying schools being charged like this?
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Landing Fees on Vancouver Island.

Post by CpnCrunch »

As far as I can tell, neither Tofino nor Qualicum Beach mention landing fees in the CFS or on their websites, so you could challenge it.

moocow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by moocow »

OK I emailed both of the towns last night and got a reply. Tofino airport is actually managed by Alberni Clayoquot District so I have to email those guys. This is the reply I got from QB:
Thank you for your interest in landing fees at Qualicum Beach Airport for non-tenant flight schools/rental companies.

Attached is a PDF of the bylaw that establishes landing fees for commercial/corporate aircraft landing at CAT4. Aircraft owned by individuals and not used for business are not included in the bylaw and, therefore, are not assessed a landing fee. The bylaw is on the Town’s website – access by clicking on FilePro or following links to Bylaws. Reference page 2 of Schedule A – the rate for off-site commercial or corporate aircraft (not a tenant at QB Airport), is $2.75 per 1000 kg, with a minimum fee of $11.00. It equates to a nominal fee of about $12.00 per landing for light aircraft. This rate has been in effect since 2003, when the 1998 rate of $2.50 per 1000 kg. and min. $10 was increased nominally. There has always been a rate for company-owned aircraft (the 1988 bylaw established it at $250 per year), however, without NavCan on site, we are reliant on part-time staff, tenant reporting, and companies voluntarily reporting their landings.

Our landing fees are also published by Transport Canada through their website. Visit http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/pacific/air-air ... h-1313.htm

The landing fees are not, however, published in the Canada Flight Supplement. The Canada Flight Supplement states that aerodrome operators shall only list “Ldg fees” in the Canada Flight Supplement if the aerodrome operator charges a fee to ALL users for using the aerodrome. This is not the case for landing fees at CAT4; the bylaw does not assess a fee for all users - only on-site and off-site commercial/corporate aircraft.

We encourage flying schools and rental companies to assess their customer the equivalent of the landing fee and then voluntarily submit it to the Town of Qualicum Beach. They may email Jimmy Foulds to report the landing if they wish to receive an invoice in advance.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about Qualicum Beach Airport landing fees.

Trudy Coates

Corporate Administrator
Town of Qualicum Beach
201 - 660 Primrose Street
PO Box 130
Qualicum Beach, BC V9K 1S7
Direct: 250.738.2202
Cell: 250.927.5012
Fax: 250.752.1243

moocow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by moocow »

Found the landing fee page for Tofino:

http://www.acrd.bc.ca/cms.asp?wpID=168

It looks like that since the aircraft is commercially owned, both districts classified them in commercial category.

MichaelP
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by MichaelP »

What we as a flight school and all other flying schools need is a list of all airports where their aircraft will be charged a landing fee.
Then it will be up to the pilot/renter to decide whether to fly to that destination.

This is like Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy... We did not check the planning application for the interspace highway that required the destruction of Earth... IT WAS POSTED IN ALPHA CENTURI!

Airport fees are likewise not clearly posted.

The problem for flight schools is that we get the bill months after the landing took place and so it's often difficult to get the money off the renter/student concerned.

We will post a list of airports where landing fees are being charged as we get the information...
Can anyone help us to make up a list of charging airports?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

That is really dumb - it should say 'ldg fees' in the CFS if they charge ANYONE landing fees.

I guess the only way to be sure is to phone the airport in advance.

I don't know of any airports in Alberta that charge landing fees, apart from YYC.

T-roper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by T-roper »

I agree thats bad about Qualicum.

SO to add to the list:
Pemberton (CYPS) says it has landing fees. I went there last year twice and even stayed the night and never got any landing fees. Decent little airport and golf course right there.

Been to Tofino twice and never got billed. Cambell river I believe was $11, and YVR's bill wasnt cheap, just for a low approach (got that straightened out)

moocow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by moocow »

@T-roper: were you using your own aircraft that's legally registered in your name? If so, then you probably won't get a bill from QB District.

I browsed around the net tonight during class and it appears that most of the BC airports have a mid-teen to high-teen landing fee.

metal
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by metal »

Out of the two FBOs I flew through on the island, I had landing fees from Tofino and Campbell River put onto my invoices almost immediately, so I'm sure that they knew they were being charged, and forwarding it to the customer appropriately.

Return to “General Comments”